WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSI Outdoors Cooking Sets?

I'm thinking of getting either the Minimalist or Soloist cooking sets for my thru-hike. Has anyone used these on an alcohol stove? If not I have another option but I really like these ones. (Plus, if my sister pulls through she'll be coming with and we'd be getting the two-person set.

I have both the minimalist and dualist. I really like the minimalist and use it as my coffee cup on every trip. I also went to Four Dog Stove and got the Ti lid for it.... It really makes the minimalist a better setup.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I have a minimalist cup/pot it's a nicely made piece should work just fine. I'll give it a try tomorrow boil some coffee on my trangia
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I own both but took neither on my thru-hike (took Evernew 0.9L titanium pot instead). The minimalist (0.6L) is a little small to do anything other than freezer bag cooking for me. The Soloist is a nice set-up, just a little heavier than my Evernew (7.5 oz vs 5.1 - pot & lid only). In some tests before my hike w/ my alcohol stove, I found that the Soloist took longer to boil vs the Evernew (thinner titanium metal is what I guess). The Evernew seemed to lose heat faster & you had to watch for food scorching if you 'cook' in the pot (vs boiling water, stirring up your food, & putting the pot in a pot cozy).

If your sister tags along, the GSI Micro-Dualist is a nice rig as well. The Dualist is bigger & heavier but I think two people could suffice with the lighter Micro-Dualist.

Good luck on your planning & your subsequent thru-hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

++ New Posts ++