WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting CT section tomorrow... any advice?

Hey guys, new guy here.

I'm starting my career as a flip flopper tomorrow with the CT section going Northbound. I'm hoping to finish in 3 nights/4 days. Is that too ambitious? I'm a big guy (6.3... 260lbs) but fairly good shape. I did Mt.Washington up and down in a little over 7 hours last year.

You guys have any good advice for me?

How crowded you think the trail will be?

Thanks for any help and words of encouragement.

TheSwede

Tomorrow is the first day of Labor Day weekend and weather should be fine -- so the trail may be more crowded than usual. It's that time of year when streams and springs run low. Also, be aware of the reroute and detour around Falls Village. Don't know where they're at with the bridge replacement but it didn't look like it was going to happen this season.

Im starting in Salisbury Sat morning
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Don't camp next to the road where the drug parties are. Or join them for the fun if you do

Connecticut is for the most part a pretty easy walk, but they did go out of their way to find stuff to make you scramble over. Depending on exactly where you get on and off, you've only about 40 miles to do so 4 days shouldn't be a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CT is approximately 53 miles, so you will need to be able to do 13+ miles per day to complete it in four days. At what pace do you normal travel?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Tomorrow is the first day of Labor Day weekend and weather should be fine -- so the trail may be more crowded than usual. It's that time of year when streams and springs run low. Also, be aware of the reroute and detour around Falls Village. Don't know where they're at with the bridge replacement but it didn't look like it was going to happen this season.
    Thanks for the heads up on the detour. I'll keep my eyes open around Falls Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Don't camp next to the road where the drug parties are. Or join them for the fun if you do Connecticut is for the most part a pretty easy walk, but they did go out of their way to find stuff to make you scramble over. Depending on exactly where you get on and off, you've only about 40 miles to do so 4 days shouldn't be a problem.
    Haha! I've been reading about them hardcore drug parties. Was thinking about packing my dancing shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Im starting in Salisbury Sat morning
    Maybe I'll run into you then... Keep a lookout for a big Swede.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    CT is approximately 53 miles, so you will need to be able to do 13+ miles per day to complete it in four days. At what pace do you normal travel?
    Thanks Tom. Don't really know what my pace is hiking. Distance wise I have no problem doing 13 + miles. The big unknown for me is the 35lb pack...

Get your pack weight down. Ill be out for 10 days, and my pack fully ready is 19.8 lbs. That is with a down sleepingbag, large wide inflatable pad, 2 man tent, 5 days food, clothes etc
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Well, breaking the state up into 4 days and 3 nights (and starting from the NY border) I guess you'd need to hit Mt. Algo on the first night at 11.2 miles in, maybe Caesar Brook (tent only) at 25.1 miles in, and then perhaps Limestone Spring at 40.8 miles in. That's faster than I hike, but I'm just an occasional weekend warrior. Good luck to you and enjoy!

Be aware Limestone Spring campsite & shelter is a long way down from the trail. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Get your pack weight down. Ill be out for 10 days, and my pack fully ready is 19.8 lbs. That is with a down sleepingbag, large wide inflatable pad, 2 man tent, 5 days food, clothes etc
    Unfortunately that's my weight before I add food and water!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Be aware Limestone Spring campsite & shelter is a long way down from the trail. Just sayin'.
    The next site is 8 miles beyond it...skipping it could make for a long day. Last time I was there a couple of guys setup right in the field at Rand's View, but in CT that's not recommended...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    The next site is 8 miles beyond it...skipping it could make for a long day. Last time I was there a couple of guys setup right in the field at Rand's View, but in CT that's not recommended...
    Well, if you had any thoughts of spending the night in Salisbury, I'd say just go the extra few miles. When I returned to the trail in the AM after the night at Limestone Spring, a couple of thru-hiking gals were breaking camp right on the trail at the junction of the blue blaze down to the shelter.

Thanks Rafe. Good to know.

++ New Posts ++