WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dolly Sods in September

Hey Everyone,

A friend and I are hitting the Dolly Sods for the Sept. 11th weekend. Does anyone know what the crowds will be like? I figured since it's not close to peak foliage and it's the weekend after Labor Day, then it would be (hopefully) pretty empty.

I have been there twice on Labor Day weekend and I wouldn't say that it was very crowded either time. We certainly saw people at times, but there was still plenty of open trail and open campsites. I would guess that there would be fewer people the weekend after. I think you'll have a great time.

Thinking of doing Dolly Sods this coming weekend. Hiking Upward has a nice 21 mile loop here:
    http://www.hikingupward.com/MNF/DollySodsLionsHead/

Does anyone have any recommendations for different trails/loops for the view/camping? More miles and rough terrain doesn't bother me since I just got off the Long Trail.

I have never been, but have read several descriptions with intent to go soon. This hike looked good as well http://www.midatlantichikes.com/dst.htm

Late to the dance but for future reference the Sods have become the most crowded place in the Monongahela National Forest; best avoided on a holiday weekend. Memorial Day two years ago, I was hanging out on the Left Fork of Red Creek up near Ravens Ridge waiting to meet up with friends (I had come down earlier in the week). In the two hours I sat there, 56 groups of people passed me by - well over a hundred people. I can only imagine what a circus it would have been down at the Forks that weekend.
    Plan your trips around the weather; go when really crappy weather is forecast and you'll at least avoid the tourists.

++ New Posts ++