WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

it's just a freakin' walkin' path. what's not to like?

I was really excited to see this movie....for a long time. Expected a lot more. Oh well. One thing i will say is Katz voice was really irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by terryg49 View Post
    Went to see the movie today.. Don't waste your time..
    agreed, at least there won't be a major increase in the tru hike attempts this coming year

The movie didn't rock my world -- but I certainly wouldn't call it a waste of time. Got some good laughs out of it. Wife enjoyed it, too.

Anybody here stumble across them filming, or here about how that went?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Can someone please tell me where in the hell is the scene where they are camped on the trail, on a ledge above a river? I'm sorry but I don't recall that section of trail anywhere on the AT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Can someone please tell me where in the hell is the scene where they are camped on the trail, on a ledge above a river? I'm sorry but I don't recall that section of trail anywhere on the AT!!
    Lots of folks wondering the same thing, I bet. But for folks who haven't walked the trail, it really doesn't matter much.

Haven't seen anything but bits and pieces on the internet yet but I wondered the same thing. Maybe a revisit to the place Butch and Sundance jumped from to escape the posse?
    Seriously, the most recent issue of Journeys has an article that says where a lot of the non-AT filming was done. I don't have it handy at the moment, but the answer might be there.

It may not be on the AT itself. Location filming isn't all that necessary for all scenes as long as where its filmed has similar look and feel as related scenes in the movie.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    It may not be on the AT itself. Location filming isn't all that necessary for all scenes as long as where its filmed has similar look and feel as related scenes in the movie.
    image.jpg
    I am thinking that the background could be CGI.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    image.jpg
    I am thinking that the background could be CGI.
    Naw, this is where Uncas is killed and thrown down the mountain, and Alice leaps down after him from Last of the Mohicans. It looks somewhat different due to extensive trail work.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

The movie had its moments. The ending rather took me by surprise, not in a good way. I didn't quit, though, I thru-sat the entire movie, even though it wasn't what I expected.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Mostly agree, Marta. Then I understood, they had to end the story one way or another. How to condense a book into a 90-minute movie? Always dicey.

they left out my favorite part in the book when she asked Katz what was his sign. also, i thought it would have been good if they had shown him section hiking the northern parts of the trail like he described in the book.

I saw the movie yesterday.
    I had been looking forward to it for some time now.

My opinion on a scale of 0 to 5 for all things related;
    The book…4.7
    The popcorn…4.8
    The movie…3.4

I enjoyed the movie and was glad to see it once.
    I feel they did a poor job in the movie portraying the best humor from the book.
    The movie made up and added their own comedy scenes that weren't in the book and weren't all that funny to me.
    It won't matter to most who watch the movie, but I didn't care for it….very few of the scenes in the movie were in the linear order of walking the Appalachian Trail south to north.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Popcorn 4.8... at the movies

I saw the film last night. I anticipated things that most non-hikers wouldn't notice...their packs still looked brand new at the end of the movie, poles stayed strapped to their packs and weren't used, Redford was clean shaven in almost every scene, etc...and I also went into the theatre knowing that no movie is ever the same as the book, however I was somewhat disappointed with how much of the humor failed to translate to the screen. I just don't think it was all that well written. I'd give it a C+.

That being said, some of the scenery was fantastic - particularly when they were on McAfee Knob - and it was fun to see the arch and Mountain Crossings and a few other spots that everyone will recognize. As others have said, it's just a movie with the AT as the backdrop, not a movie about the AT. I'm glad I saw it, but don't need to every pay to see it again.
    -tagg

A lot of modern hikers miss the arch and Amicalola Falls State Park entirely, since it's not officially the AT. You can drive to within a mile or so of the summit of Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodturner View Post
    Haven't seen anything but bits and pieces on the internet yet but I wondered the same thing. Maybe a revisit to the place Butch and Sundance jumped from to escape the posse?
    Seriously, the most recent issue of Journeys has an article that says where a lot of the non-AT filming was done. I don't have it handy at the moment, but the answer might be there.
    When Robert Redford originally bought the rights to make the movie, he wanted to film it with Paul Neuman. So maybe that scene is a tip of the hat to the scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    When Robert Redford originally bought the rights to make the movie, he wanted to film it with Paul Neuman. So maybe that scene is a tip of the hat to the scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
    In Butch Cassidy they jumped off a cliff in CO, pretty fair distance from this trail section, even the trees are wrong for it. However, the tip of the hat concept is interesting. Did either actor say anything about jumping or did Redford look down then slip out of character to wink at the camera? Something like that would be a pretty good clue it was placed there for that.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++