WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default camping spots on tye river, va 56?

lazy lightning class of 97 here. so my data book lists camping at va 56 and tye river. its been along time are there many places there to camp. i will be showing up to late to hike and figured I could camp there. I remember the bridge but don't recall if there were campsites around. probably blew through looking at the ground. figures

Don't recall the camping situation but I recall that the walk from Harpers Creek Shelter down to the river went pretty fast.

will arrive late so looking close another option could be hogcamp gap camping around there? parking?

Images

That's the way up to three ridges, right?

i was there this past March and here's what I recall----there's a couple of small places down by the river across the bridge..

these are within sight of the house that's right there for what it's worth...

and ms if im remembering correct---go up the hill a touch and there's another small spot there....

I camped there this past June. There are several spots after you cross the bridge on the north side of the river. There's a little side trail that goes to the right as soon as you come off the bridge. Follow it and it opens up into a nice sized area with an established fire ring. There are also two other good tent sites about 100 feet from there, closer to the river. Here are a couple of pics of the campsite where I stayed...

7.148 tye river 3.jpg

7.149 tye river 4.jpg
    -tagg

Just hiked thru this section a few days ago. Tagg is correct about spots along the river. There is also a spot about a hundred yards (if I remember correctly) south of the 56 road crossing.

Images

I spent Friday night at the same location as the pictures above. Also, it might be obvious, but there is easy access to water from those camping spots along the river. It is not noted with the water drop as a water source in the guide I was using. With there being a suspension bridge I was concerned about the banks being too steep to get water so I filled up on water at the stream about 2/3 way down the Priest. I accidentally left a leatherman micra that has sentimental value if there anyone is looking for the owner.

Images

Hey, I will be out there next week... looking forward to checking out this section. I will update as to where I stay as it will be a 2 day trip. Cheers!

++ New Posts ++