WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what's bringing young folks to the AT are all these mini movies posted on youtube about the AT. the partying, so-called "trail magic", etc. , etc.

I knew that the movie would not be true the AT or to hiking in general, so I needed my emotional support dog to come with me.
    The dog got in because she is cute and a sweetheart. They threw me out for being a liar.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I knew that the movie would not be true [to] the AT or to hiking in general. They threw me out for being a liar.
    Fixed it for ya.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    I noted the same today too. At 45 I was clearly the youngest in the theater by 15 years.
    When i saw it, i wasnt close enough to anyone else to assess their age in the dark. There might have been 6 present.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I knew that the movie would not be true the AT or to hiking in general, so I needed my emotional support dog to come with me.
    The dog got in because she is cute and a sweetheart. They threw me out for being a liar.
    Did Lassie enjoy the show?

Saw the movie today. Others observation were correct about the age of the attendees. A friend I went with recognized the Collanade Restaurant as being in Atlanta. Also two interesting things with Robert Redford. Who on the trail takes a bathrobe since it was not in the motel room. And he goes to the laundromat but doesn't get his clothes and returns to the room after being in the mud up to his waist. Just curious observations. Was a funny movie with some great images but is more of a buddy movie.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I Was going to wait until it came out on itunes/redbox, but if I have the opportunity to be the youngest person in a theatre by that much of a margin, I might go to see it.
    Take your mom and dad with you for cover.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by racewalker View Post
    Saw the movie today. Others observation were correct about the age of the attendees. A friend I went with recognized the Collanade Restaurant as being in Atlanta. Also two interesting things with Robert Redford. Who on the trail takes a bathrobe since it was not in the motel room. And he goes to the laundromat but doesn't get his clothes and returns to the room after being in the mud up to his waist. Just curious observations. Was a funny movie with some great images but is more of a buddy movie.
    I noted the bathrobe thing, too. And the hiking poles being stowed in the packs. Strange lapses.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what's bringing young folks to the AT are all these mini movies posted on youtube about the AT. the partying, so-called "trail magic", etc. , etc.
    It bothers me how often I agree with you...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I noted the bathrobe thing, too. And the hiking poles being stowed in the packs. Strange lapses.
    I thought we all carried bath robes?
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

I thought it was an "okay" movie, everything seemed too simple for me as Redford did not really jump much into the Bryson character (I loved Redford in the film in which he loses his boat at sea-that was a good film). But when the book came out in 1998, Bryson took a lot of criticism as well. Not a bad movie, most likely will not be in theaters for very long.
    Last edited by double d; 09-03-2015 at 23:14.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    I thought we all carried bath robes?
    Without my bathrobe, id feel dumb in my camp slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I thought it was an "okay" movie, everything seemed too simple for me as Redford did not really jump much into the Bryson character (I loved Redford in the film in which he loses his boat at sea-that was a good film). But when the book came out in 1998, Bryson took a lot of criticism as well. Not a bad movie, most likely will not be in theaters for very long.
    I don't recall any criticisms of A Walk in the Woods (also a best seller) at the time of the book. There were some folks I recall (readers not critics) who were upset at Bryson's style of making unvarnished people observations in a humorous context, and how he treated Mary Ann, but that was about it. As a written work, there weren't any critical laments about it, in fact it was pretty much well received by the critic world overall. That said, I'm sure there were some trail purists who took exception with Bryson's style and not completing the hike, etc, but as a bunch who are frequently curmudgeons, I would expect that.

As a note, it likely won't be in theaters long, very very few movies stay in theaters for long today given the lucrative rental, DVD, and live streaming markets. Average stay for most films in theaters today is between 2-3 weeks, 4 if its a real blockbuster.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I don't think the movie's going to lead to a huge surge of thru-hikers next year. I think it might lead to a surge of casual visits (starting now) and a few of those visits may eventually lead to longer-term adventures. I could be wrong.
    The main reason why I'd say you are wrong is because of the spike in thru-hikers after Bryson's book came out.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The main reason why I'd say you are wrong is because of the spike in thru-hikers after Bryson's book came out.
    The book is mostly about the trail and what it's like to hike it for more than a weekend. Some good stuff about the history, and lots of hyperbole, antics, gags, weird characters, etc. to make it funny.

Reading a book all the way through actually requires commitment and a bit of intellectual curiosity. Watching a movie, not so much. Go see the movie and tell me what you think. Book and movie are not the same.

I could be all wrong... what if folks like the movie enough to read the book... hmmm. I think we may also see a surge in casual visitors, and that could be happening or starting right now (it's prime season to be on the trail.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The book is mostly about the trail and what it's like to hike it for more than a weekend. Some good stuff about the history, and lots of hyperbole, antics, gags, weird characters, etc. to make it funny.

Reading a book all the way through actually requires commitment and a bit of intellectual curiosity. Watching a movie, not so much. Go see the movie and tell me what you think. Book and movie are not the same.

I could be all wrong... what if folks like the movie enough to read the book... hmmm. I think we may also see a surge in casual visitors, and that could be happening or starting right now (it's prime season to be on the trail.)
    I have not seen the movie yet so you could be right about the differences between the book and movie.
    Also, the book did very well, i'm not sure if the movie will reach the same level of audience, but I would guess that the number of people who watch even a bad movie eclipse the numbers of people who read a book. Like you said, easier to just watch a movie.

Regardless of the content, the concept of thru hiking the AT is now being put into the minds of many who never even thought about it before. I predict a spike in attempts. Either way, it'll be fun to see the impact the movie has on all aspects of the AT(support, funding, thru hike attempts, visitors to WB, etc.)

Images

I enjoyed the movie and Nolte as Katz stole the movie, it was nice for Redford to play a supporting role in this flick. And of course YMMV IMHO and whatever must be added to fend off ridicule for the above statement pretend it is added. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Images

still trying to figure out since i saw it last night how the grizzlies got to the A.T. or if LLBean sponsored this as there's a whole lotta cotton flannels not normally recommended for backpacking being worn by the leads. Other than that, Nolte was pretty funny. Don't get me started on the geographical errors. I don't think the 8 septagenarians in the theater will be running to the trail anytime soon.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

They were doing it all wrong. Which is kinda the point.

Images

at least they could have research bear species a little more accurately. even bryson did THAT right in the book. I know Grizzlies are scarier and all but that's not hiker error. Regarding the flannel, my only concern is people who were inspired by it going out there thinking flannel will keep them warm when wet, and coming down with a mean case of hypothermia.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++