WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What I love about the movie A Walk in the Woods

Here's what I love best about the movie:

1) Robert Redford digs a cathole! And both he and Kirsten Schaal carry trowels. This is a real gift for the A.T. and a departure from the book. One of the most memorable scenes from the book is when Katz flings coffee filters from his pack and watches them flutter through the woods. Later, one of the characters asks the other why they are using toilet paper to filter their coffee. Early on, ATC implored the producer Bill Holderman to reflect as many good Leave No Practices as they could in the film.

Redford chose to give up some of the best humor in the book in the interest of educating hikers and showing responsible behavior. The scene does have some fun banter with Nolte, but it doesn't rival how they could have played the original.

As a result, there will be a lot less unburied poo, fewer contaminated water sources, and less illness along the A.T. than there might have been if they didn't choose to take the high road here.

2) The hikers encounter a snowstorm after starting with trees in full leaf-out. This is often the shocking reality in spring anywhere when you start at low elevation and hike up to higher elevations. I hope all future northbound thru-hikers who are starting in March take note.

3) Robert Redford does a PSA for Leave No Trace on the Appalachian Trail. Posted on ATC's YouTube channel yesterday: Robert Redford's Call to Action: Help Protect the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 09-03-2015 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    2) The hikers encounter a snowstorm after starting with trees in full leaf-out. This is often the shocking reality in spring anywhere when you start at low elevation and hike up to higher elevations. I hope all future northbound thru-hikers who are starting in March take note.
    They are cool. I got hit a couple times by very large snow storms in May, both times in Virginia.

Here's what I love best about the movie:

Redford chose to give up some of the best humor in the book in the interest of educating hikers and showing responsible behavior. The seen does have some fun banter with Nolte, but
    The Katz food-flinging stuff is ROFL funny but no way would I want that in a popular movie about the AT. I'd expect ATC to fight that tooth and nail. Or better yet, the scriptwriter would have the sense or respect to cut it.

You'd almost think ATC and the film company had a few heart to heart discussions along the way.

I don't think the movie's going to lead to a huge surge of thru-hikers next year. I think it might lead to a surge of casual visits (starting now) and a few of those visits may eventually lead to longer-term adventures. I could be wrong.

The movie is about Nolte and Redford. The AT is a supporting actor.

Plus... much as I loved Katz' awesome rant in the snowstorm, that would have slapped the film with a nasty rating from the get go. Folks on FB are already complaining about foul language. Such sensitive souls...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    They are cool. I got hit a couple times by very large snow storms in May, both times in Virginia.
    Yes, it's great that they show that detail, because of the amount of trouble you can get into expecting valley weather in the mountains, or expecting that Spring is here to stay once the trees start leafing out.

I'm astonished at the weather difference between South and North - that a March start in Georgia with three-season gear is actually feasible! Up here, I expect to be using snowshoes, or ice axe and crampons on the windswept ridges, at that time of year. It's May before I can safely leave the Microspikes in the car - and then only with a favourable weather forecast. In March, there are often a few jerks who bare-boot when the trail is well packed, and then wind up leaving the occasional posthole like this for me to trip over. There's another piece of LNT for you: Use snowshoes or skis. Don't posthole a trail, for the safety of hikers behind you! (In New York, that's actually the law: once the snow is more than eight inches, you can get a ticket if you're caught without snowshoes or skis.)

I likewise marvel that the Southbounders hope to finish by Thanksgiving. This is what typical mountain weather is like for Hallowe'en up here. By Thanksgiving, there's been another month for the weather to get colder and the snow to accumulate.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Folks ask about "average" weather on the trail it makes me nervous. You really have to be prepared for extremes. And you'll never know if you were prepared enough till you make it out the other side.

Who remembers what Bill Bryson said about the orange trowel in the Walk in the Woods book?

Who remembers what Bill Bryson said about the orange trowel in the Walk in the Woods book?
    I don't quite remember but it was most likely disparaging.

Folks complaining about foul language?
    Fxxx them !!!

I also said no to a first aid kit, sewing kit, anti-snake bite kit, $12 emergency whistle and small orange plastic trowel for burying one's poop on the grounds that these were unnecessary, too expensive or invited ridicule.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I don't think the movie's going to lead to a huge surge of thru-hikers next year.
    Awareness about the AT comes before everything else.

I wonder what kind of effect the movie will have on increasing awareness outside of the States.

I expect we will see many more (as a percentage, anyway) people from other countries walk the Trail as a direct result of this movie-- but ramping up over then next few years. I hope so, any way.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    I also said no to a first aid kit, sewing kit, anti-snake bite kit, $12 emergency whistle and small orange plastic trowel for burying one's poop on the grounds that these were unnecessary, too expensive or invited ridicule.
    First aid kit is essential and I always have a single thick needle tucked into it for emergency repairs...As for the trowel, I have always found it quite easy to dig an 8"-10" hole with a trekking pole, apparently a lot of
    folks find this difficult, but it's always worked for me.

I am glad to hear that the movie emphasizes the importance of digging the hole though.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I was also hit by a mammoth snowfall in the SmokieAT 1992 000.jpgs the year I did the trail.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Well of course, the orange plastic trowel invites ridicule! Self-respecting hikers use a titanium one from our very own Qi Wiz!

I don't agree with Elf on using a trekking pole for the purpose. It doesn't work well for me. Of course, we seldom hike in the same places. (When either of us is in the other's home ground, we're usually together.) I suspect that the soil where I hike is harder to dig. Or maybe he's just better at digging with a pole than I am.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Just saw the movie this afternoon and have to agree they treated the Trail with respect. I don't think the movie will create throngs of new hikers next Spring. It was a good "buddy" movie but not a great movie about the AT. The fact that the movie concentrates on two elderly men's experiences will not influence many "entitled" young people to go for the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Awareness about the AT comes before everything else.

I wonder what kind of effect the movie will have on increasing awareness outside of the States.

I expect we will see many more (as a percentage, anyway) people from other countries walk the Trail as a direct result of this movie-- but ramping up over then next few years. I hope so, any way.
    We wouldn't want folks to be aware of the AT, no that would be wrong.

It seems to me Canadian, European, Asian visitors have been well-represented on the AT for quite some time now. Even more so at other National Parks, eg. Grand Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, etc. Plenty of Americans prefer Six Flags and Disneyland to hiking, for some reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Just saw the movie this afternoon and have to agree they treated the Trail with respect. I don't think the movie will create throngs of new hikers next Spring. It was a good "buddy" movie but not a great movie about the AT. The fact that the movie concentrates on two elderly men's experiences will not influence many "entitled" young people to go for the walk.
    I didn't see a single person in the theater last night who isn't getting mailings from the AARP.

The only surge in hiker-ship that might result is in the over-60 set.

This could lead to a huge surge in the general level of adult behavior on the trail, and be a huge boon to the fine folks who provide hiker services--the nicer B&Bs and shuttlers who provide slack packing.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    We wouldn't want folks to be aware of the AT, no that would be wrong.

It seems to me Canadian, European, Asian visitors have been well-represented on the AT for quite some time now. Even more so at other National Parks, eg. Grand Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, etc. Plenty of Americans prefer Six Flags and Disneyland to hiking, for some reason.
    Ive noted the same. The foreign/american ratio at yosemite is higher than you expect. Its a shame, but americans are largely fat and lazy. Then again, 1/3 are obese so what do you expect.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I didn't see a single person in the theater last night who isn't getting mailings from the AARP.

The only surge in hiker-ship that might result is in the over-60 set.

This could lead to a huge surge in the general level of adult behavior on the trail, and be a huge boon to the fine folks who provide hiker services--the nicer B&Bs and shuttlers who provide slack packing.
    I noted the same today too. At 45 I was clearly the youngest in the theater by 15 years.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    I noted the same today too. At 45 I was clearly the youngest in the theater by 15 years.
    I Was going to wait until it came out on itunes/redbox, but if I have the opportunity to be the youngest person in a theatre by that much of a margin, I might go to see it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++