WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A very nourishing top protien rich pood source

Bee Pollen!

This nutrient rich food contains more protein per weight than any animal produced protein including eggs, meat & cheese. Bee pollen is 40% protein by weight. Bee pollen is also a whole food in the sense that it contains everything the human body needs to sustain life including the building blocks of life itself....Amino Acids!

Three Cheers for Bee Pollen!

Horray!
    Horray!
    Horray!

Plus, its super easy to store!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Keep in mind that most of the claims about miracle foods like bee pollen are made by people that want you to buy their bee pollen. It does appear to have some good qualities, but like anything else, some risks. From various easy to find sources:

Bee pollen contains vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, lipids, and protein. It comes from the pollen that collects on the bodies of bees. Bee pollen may also include bee saliva.
    It is rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements, enzymes, and amino acids, and contains approximately 30% protein, 55% carbohydrate, 1% to 2% fat, and 3% minerals and trace vitamins.

Bee pollen appears to be safe, at least when taken for a short term. But if you have pollen allergies, you may get more than you bargained for. Bee pollen can cause a serious allergic reaction -- including shortness of breath, hives, swelling, and anaphylaxis.

Bee pollen is not safe for pregnant women. A woman should also avoid using bee pollen if she is breastfeeding.

Journal Entries

It's great food for baby bees.

Bee Pollen helps people with allergies by blocking the production of histamine. Just the same way Benadryl blocks histamine but without the dangerous side effects. For allergy sufferers, it helps 76% of those that use it. That is what I use it for and it has help me tremendously for a few years now.

Of course if you are pregnant, or suffer from severe allergic reactions to bee stings or certain foods, you should stay far away from Bee Pollen until you get the OK from your doctor.

Is it really accurate to call this an animal produced protein?. The protein is produced by plants (pollen) and gathered by animals.

Thank you for not referring to it as a "superfood"
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Royal Jelly is the way to go. An amazing 'Superfood' For queen bees, anyway!

Thinking this was a good idea, I tried some bee pollen and wasn't too successful.

First of all, it was difficult to catch the bees in the first place. I didn't know the proper way to extract the bee pollen, do you suck on them like a lifesaver, shake them over something to get the pollen, or just eat them. I tried all three, none of the methods yielded much except I got stung 7 times on the tongue.

Seems like someones pushing my leg.....

Images

AT Traveler - In case you are really wondering how a 'Pollen Trap' works...

Honey bees carry pollen in 'Pollen Baskets' on their hind legs. You can see the bees carrying the different colored pollen on the way into the hive. A pollen trap is a device you add to the hive that sort of forces the bees through a bit of an obstacle course. As they navigate the trap some of the pollen they are carrying falls out the baskets and the beekeeper may later collect it.

Seriously, I do not think a hiker would want to eat bee pollen in large enough quantities to be a significant food source, it just is not that tasty. May have some value as a dietary supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    AT Traveler - In case you are really wondering how a 'Pollen Trap' works...

Honey bees carry pollen in 'Pollen Baskets' on their hind legs. You can see the bees carrying the different colored pollen on the way into the hive. A pollen trap is a device you add to the hive that sort of forces the bees through a bit of an obstacle course. As they navigate the trap some of the pollen they are carrying falls out the baskets and the beekeeper may later collect it.

Seriously, I do not think a hiker would want to eat bee pollen in large enough quantities to be a significant food source, it just is not that tasty. May have some value as a dietary supplement.
    Ah, ok, that solves the mystery of where the "Poods" are.

...A pollen trap is a device you add to the hive that sort of forces the bees through a bit of an obstacle course. As they navigate the trap some of the pollen they are carrying falls out the baskets and the beekeeper may later collect it.

That's all it is? Just eat the flowers

I'm half-tempted now to read about bee's pollen, but if all they're doing is collecting the pollen that the bee collected, then it's not really bee's pollen. It can only be called bee's pollen after they processed it somewhat, I would think.

... I do not think a hiker would want to eat bee pollen in large enough quantities to be a significant food source, it just is not that tasty. May have some value as a dietary supplement.
    In which case the fact that it has a high percentage of protein becomes fairly irrelevant. Considering the health benefits are unsubstantiated, I don't see the point.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/bee-pol...d-side-effects

On my last hike I had a chunk of Grana Padano Cheese for breakfast every day. That's also about 40% protein (complete animal source protein). Tastes great, all natural, less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Thank you for not referring to it as a "superfood"
    John Tesh says a toasted cheese sandwich is a superfood. I don't know if I believe him. He supposed to be an expert... on everything. I love toasted cheese sandwiches. Ergo, I eat them and blame him.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnTesh/ph...3247745317713/

The only superfood I take on the trail is peanut butter snickers. Snickers is a superfood... right?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In which case the fact that it has a high percentage of protein becomes fairly irrelevant. Considering the health benefits are unsubstantiated, I don't see the point.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/bee-pol...d-side-effects
    I know some people who take bee pollen claim that it helps them with allergies (some people insist on 'local' honey for the same reason.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    That's all it is? Just eat the flowers

I'm half-tempted now to read about bee's pollen, but if all they're doing is collecting the pollen that the bee collected, then it's not really bee's pollen. It can only be called bee's pollen after they processed it somewhat, I would think.
    I take 'bee's pollen' to be the possessive form, meaning they they did not make it, but they possess it. To test this you could go ahead and try and take it from them and see how they react

Here is a picture of a Bee with pollen granules collected onto the sides of his body. The way the Bee collects the pollen is by an electrical charge created by movement that mixes with the Bee saliva that holds it all together. If you suffer from allergies, only buy locally sourced bee pollen because pollen from other states contain an entirely different composition of plant pollens. If you are not taking it for allergies, then any pollen is good for you.

I just threw this out there as a suggestion for someone looking for a healthy snack food on the trail as an alternative to processed industrial food sources.

I think the way the pollen is collected is by the bee moving through a screen and the pollen drops to the bottom of the hive where it is collected. The pollen is what Baby Bees eat as there main food source. Find a local Beekeeper and get yourself some pollen and see how you like it. I actually like the taste a lot. IMO the larger the granules, the better the quality of the pollen. Pollen works well to even out blood sugar levels which I am sure is a big problem for hikers eating junk food all day for months.

Say hello to my little friend!!!
    BEEPOLLEN.jpg

I take 'bee's pollen' to be the possessive form, meaning they they did not make it, but they possess it. To test this you could go ahead and try and take it from them and see how they react
    Oh yeah, I guess that works, not for me, but the logic is irrefutable

I didn't read anything about it, but I did a quick look at it and they say it's perfectly safe for pregnant women, so it must be, right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRbg2mWl2k

I ask again, why not just eat the flowers, seems like it would be easier to harvest the pollen directly from the flower? I guess adding the word Bee to the title of the food makes it sound special.

Video produced by these people http://www.superfoods-for-superhealth.com/

You would have to eat all of the hundreds of different potential plants that the bee is collecting pollen from in that area. They collect pollen from many different variety of plants. Thats the magic of Bee Pollen.

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    You would have to eat all of the hundreds of different potential plants that the bee is collecting pollen from in that area. They collect pollen from many different variety of plants. Thats the magic of Bee Pollen.
    Sorry dude, but I'm being tongue in cheek with my remarks because I'm very skeptical of the benefits touted by superfoods/superhealth website.

If it were that much of a super food we'd would be producing tons of it and we'd probably do it in a way that didn't involve bees, that was my point.

Although my entire yard is full of all different types of flowers, so I could easily just go pick them, but I'll leave them for the bees; I'd rather the bees have them

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    The only superfood I take on the trail is peanut butter snickers. Snickers is a superfood... right?
    Now you're confusing "superfood" with a hiker's "major food group".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++