WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I wonder if you could find somebody with a jumbo sized vacuum packer. I'm sure that industrial size machines would have an adjustable heat strip that would seal a neoair perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by True Grit View Post
    Vegan Packer, what pad are you using now?
    I am sticking with my XLite. I find it a little more comfortable than the Exped, and a little wider in the shoulder area. The Exped is not bad, but I find the XLite to be a better choice.

I would have stuck with it from the beginning, but I am not a big fan of the fill valve. I ended out making a modification to an Exped Schnozzle Pumpbag that allowed me to get around that issue. I would suggest getting the Schnozzle Pumpbag over the one from Thermarest (it is also a tiny bit lighter), doing the modification, and then you can use that as a pack liner as well as for inflation.

"Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    So, let's do some accounting. You can spend money on an Xped with uncertain outcome, but the money is absolutely spent. It might give you what you want, or it might not. Or, you can spend very little money to modify your Xlite, which will likely work very well and give you exactly what you want (at almost no cost), or, there is a small chance it will fail, and you will be out the cost of the pad - just like you would be if you bought an Xped regardless of whether it works or not.

Be daring. Then come back and tell us all how it went.
    I haven't heard any horror stories from anyone that has tried this and had it fail.
    In the end, you can also always try more than once. If you screw up, you can just cut it another inch or two shorter and try again.

Good luck!
    I am not brave enough to do it! I am just going to carry the extra bit of weight...for now.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Main reason I'd even consider trimming my pads is to save my lungs....
    One of my favorite tricks. I'm not sure why it hasn't become more broadly public knowledge.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    One of my favorite tricks. I'm not sure why it hasn't become more broadly public knowledge.
    I use the compactor bag for my xtherm to keep moisture out but still a slow process.....I actually used my foam zlite pad last paddle trip and wasn't bad....that being said I was so tired I could have slept on a rock!!

Klymit makes a Junior version of their Static V for $50 which measures 50.4" x 23" x 2.5" and weighs 13oz. or you can get the full length Static V2 for $20 and 3oz more.

these are very comfortable mattresses that are wide and stable enough that my arms stay on...

Sorry it took me a little longer to join this post. I have tried/tested them both (Xlite & Synmat Hyperlite) and settle on the Exped. I am a slender 6' side sleeper with broad shoulders. Based on comfort alone they are very close IMHO. As a comfort side note, I really didn't even notice the higher side baffles. The shorter length is actually surprisingly more comfortable because my feet are allowed to angle down if I move to my stomach.

There very a couple of additional things that really swayed me to the Hyperlite. I recently saw a video posted about the mold growth that occurs over time from using your breath to blow up the air pads. Breathing that stuff in is pretty nasty. So, when I found the Schnozzle pump/bag it was really intriguing. It's a 2oz penalty, but is it really? It obviously saves you from the exhausting task of blowing up the pad, ends the mold problem, but best of all it's multi-purpose. It's has a really big capacity (40L it think) and it's waterproof so I use it as my pack liner and it's perfect!

Last thing I will add is that the Hyperlite is quieter than the Xlite.

Here's my story:

A few months back I sold my perfectly great NeoAir Xlite to my buddy and I bought the Hyperlight w/ schnozzle bag. I loved the bag and how it inflated in 3 bags. Then, on the second weekend I had there Hyperlight, around 10pm I found myself on the cold hard 30 degree ground, shivering. I was using up a storm. The problem turned out to be the seal around the inflation port. I take the bag and mat back to REI to return it for my beloved NeoAir Xlite but they were out and only had the NeoAir SV version in stock. Long story short, the 4 extra ounces in weight in the SV are totally worth it. It's rectangular and I feel like I have more room to lay on. The NeoAir Xlite SV is now my favorite sleep pad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++