WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Camo, solo hiker

Hi, if you were planning a hike this fall I have a two part hike on here now from mid Oct to when ever. First part is from Watauga lake to Damascus and the from Damascus to Pearisburg or more. I'm 64 and in pretty good shape. I'm in the 10 to 11 miles per day range. Your welcome to come and do some or all of it with me.

Word of caution when it comes to a hiking partner .... make sure you have similar interests and world views; otherwise, a great, long-anticipated long weekend might very possibly turn into a hellish and torturous nightmare.

A few years ago I went on a four day excursion with a friend of a friend who turned out, unbeknownst to me, to be an ultra-liberal left-winger. I, on the other hand, am a Vietnam-era veteran right-wing constitutional conservative who bases my world views on truth, a solid formal education, and moral clarity. You'd think our opposing world philosophies would create some sort of odd balance between personalities ... but NO! Apparently, my hiking companion was indoctrinated to the "global warming" hoax at a very young age and REFUSED to accept any modicum of truth, logic, and common sense regarding simple physics as it relates to weather and climate. He ENDLESSLY went on and on and on about how the earth is on its last leg .... blah blah blah blah. It was one long and hellish 4 days, to say the least. It took every ounce of fiber I could muster to be polite during that long weekend. Mostly, I stayed quiet and listened to his nonsensical ramblings, nodding my head on occasion just to give him the impression I was listening, all the while maintaining my distance (as much as possible). Never again, I promised myself. That's why, unless it's a family member, I prefer to hike alone.

Children .... choose your hiking partners carefully .... very carefully.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Thanks George. I have checked that page fairly often. The group sizes are always very large (10 or more) and I prefer 1 or 2 people.
    I agree - these meetup groups generally are large; however, you can post a message saying what you're looking for to that group, and you might find one or two that might want to join you..

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default solo it

Solo hiking is my preference. I like to hike at my own pace, rest when I want. Go when I want. Camp or shelter when and where I want. You will meet people along the way and may or may not get a partner in the process.

There's some good advice above, and maybe some potential partners. Good luck. Another avenue you might consider is one of the trail clubs. GATC, Mountain High Hikers, and BMTA are 3 groups in the area that all welcome new members. Each organizes several hikes each year, many of which are small groups. They also give you an opportunity to give back by maintaining the trails (which is not only rewarding, but a good way to meet some amazing people). Many of the folks, maybe even the majority, are in your (and my) age group, so you'd fit right in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++