WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Default Fiery Gizzard with Family

What an experiment this was! I took my wife, sister and brother for a little loop hike this weekend at Fiery Gizzard. One day in to Raven's Point via the easier Dog Hole and the next day out down and up the Gizzard. We had not laughed so much in years. Great weather. A few falls but all soft landings of short distance. A few blisters, mostly in the last mile or three. Had a dip or two in the creek. My plan A was to go the hard bit first then back off Dog Hole and I am glad I was out voted. Glad I didn't loose anyone and everybody, although sore, might just hike with me again someday. We're already talking about Savage Gulf after it gets cooler and the ticks on the rim have died back. Maybe I can get Claire to come with me next year when I get back on the AT from the Carters?? Slow is just fine.

did you hear they're about to carve a hole in the Gizzard? ...won't be able to do the Dog Hole Loop after December, I think it is. they're working on a re-route for the Gizzard, but I don't see how they'll be able to hook up Dog Hole to the reroute once Raven's Point is off limits

Images

Not sure how this will be done but there seems to be options, none of which look that easy. Just maybe there could be a cluster of small camp sites in the canyon?? Trail "cutting" will be a bear as well. If new employment allows, I am willing to help the cause. Anyone know about current planning/plans?

Images

I followed cneill13's link and found FSC. Will go from there....

one of the rangers at South Cumberland has a Meetup.com group that's based out of Chattanooga. I've heard that they're organizing volunteers for trail building for the new re-route.

Images

Mine and my wife's very first over-night backpacking trip was via the Fiery Gizzard, camping at the Raven's Point campsite. A Ranger even delivered the ladies' backpacks to them at the campsite so they wouldn't have to hike through the Fruit Bowl of ankle-twisters with full packs.

We hiked on to Foster Falls the second day.

So sorry to hear plans are to close the trail through Raven's Point.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

From what I've been reading the re-route is going to down and back up the gorge to the south of Raven's Point and add about 2 miles to the trail. If you're use to hiking south Cumberland re-route no big deal. You will just have to dig deeper to hike it.

I'm going to hike it next weekend before I can never stand at Raven's Point ever again.

++ New Posts ++