WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Danger on the trail

While on a day hike this past weekend I came across the water source at mile 22.6 from Springer. Someone had used some rocks to dam up the almost dry spring forming a nice pool of water. While I was breaking there another hiker walked up and stated “I just stepped in some poop” He started toward the pool to wash his boot. I stopped him and advised him other hikers were using the pool to resupply their water. This is the type of non-thinking that causes abdominal and worse problems for others. Purify and/or use some type of water filtration system to protect yourself from foolish acts of others. Those who do not make sure you know your water is safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's sad that someone on the AT would be so thoughtless but there are no IQ requirements for hiking the Trail. I have a vivid memory of arriving at a much needed spring just north of the Highlands in Virginia one hot afternoon only to find a stark naked "hiker" bathing in it! It was a long walk to the next water source.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Journal Entries
    Images

Dang that stinks.
    Thanks for the reminder!

And many hikers don't realize that animals also "bathe" and "poop" in the water when we aren't looking. ; - 0

Yeah that sounds about right, I was always dismayed to find thru hikers washing their dishes at the water source. It's always nice to approach the collecting pool only to find oatmeal and noodles floating around in there. If there was one thing that hikers should be beaten over the head for is engaging in this type of behavior. Then there's the people that wash their cloths at the source...

Whatever happened to just using a stick to remove the most egregious hanger-ons.

A 10 Liter bucket that weighs 3 oz is looking better and better.

Well may be I should come over and poop into his beer...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Whatever happened to just using a stick to remove the most egregious hanger-ons.
    I don't think it's allowed to hit morons with a stick. May just be here in the FL school system, though.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    And many hikers don't realize that animals also "bathe" and "poop" in the water when we aren't looking. ; - 0
    Animals aren't as likely to spread disease that humans can catch, as we are likely to get diseases from other humans.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

What I failed to mention in the original post is the crap on the bottom of the hikers boot was human. He stated the crap along with the TP were covered with grass and leaves just a few yards down the trail. Folks, just follow the rules and take a little time to help protect our trail and each other.

Images

No, it's NOT allowed - there aren't enough sticks to go around some days....
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I don't think it's allowed to hit morons with a stick. May just be here in the FL school system, though.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Animals aren't as likely to spread disease that humans can catch, as we are likely to get diseases from other humans.
    Agreed in principle with human contact illness, however there are a lot of things humans can pick up from animals, including:

Q Fever
    Campylobacter
    Salmonella
    Toxoplasmosis
    Tapeworm
    Hookworm
    Cryptosporidiosis
    Ringworm
    Giardia
    Hantavirus
    Lymphocytic choriomeningitis
    Tularemia
    Equine encephalitis
    West nile virus

All these (and more) can be contracted by exposure to various mammals and birds or fecal matter from both. Humans can spread some of these as well if they are infected. Though its not something to be overly concerned with if one follows a basic hygiene regimen and water treatment, most diseases and parasites can largely be avoided.

You can get hookworm by walking around your neighborhood barefoot, especially if dogs are allowed to roam around.
    You can get west nile from mosqitos in most southern towns (not sure how far this has spread yet).

I avoid going barefoot on the trail or at camp. I dig deep cat holes. And I am careful to not only filter my water, but pay attention to handling of equipment to not contaminate filtered water (like not letting the dirty squeeze bottle drip into the filtered water while squeezing).

I've heard that some of the shelters' ubiquitous rodents may have Hantavirus - is that localized to a particular stretch, or is this even a real issue?

Images

Avoid shelters for sleeping and the risk of diseases both from rodents, insects, and human contact is greatly reduced. Sleeping around coughing, sneezing, dirty, unknown strangers and the varmints that hunt their crumbs and the insects that buzz around their heads should not come as a surprise to most as being a hot zone for bacterial and viral communication.

I picked up a virus one time in all my years on the AT from a water source when I'd forgotten my filter south of Elk Gardens. That virus almost killed me and cause a cardiac infection and I spent a week in ICU at Norton Community Hospital in Wise County.

++ New Posts ++