WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rated R - A Walk in the Woods?

Considering watching this movie this weekend but my kids are 13 and 11. They both have gone hiking with me and the 11 year-old in particular might get a kick out of seeing the scenery of the AT on the big screen. However the movie is rated R for "language and some sexual references."

Can anyone give me any insight on how "bad" the sexual references are? I read the book a while ago - I'm surprised the movie is rated R.

Images

It's not so much the sexual references, they are rather mild, but they drop a lot of F bombs.

Personally I would not take kids to see the movie. At that age they are just too young to get it, after all it is a film about two old men reflecting on life and strained friendships.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Hi.
    I know 2 people who've seen it. They said there's a lot of bad language in it.
    I cannot understand why these people (movie makers) would take a subject like the Appalachian Trail (or at least related to it), and make something trashy out of it.
    It just goes to show you what we're dealing with in Hollywood these days.
    I wished the hiker community would actively boycott this movie.
    Besides, very few scenes were shot on the trail, which is a disgrace in itself.

What's trashy about a couple guys that have never hiked before, then decide out of the blue picked one of the toughest trails... There's going to be a lot of cursing, it's only natural. I was in much better shape than them when I first got on the AT and I cursed 'em hills (and the ATC and all the clubs...) all the time. Cursing' is just part of hiking; you can't do a story on the AT without cursing

Section Hiker

I took my 13 year old last Friday. The only reason I can imagine it is rated R is the number of F-bombs, and it's pretty much all Katz. I believe if there are more than X-number of those, they have to rate it R. It gave an honest portrayal of Katz and we didn't have a problem with it. The movie was entertaining and funny, which is all it was intended to be, we both liked it. Like "Wild," it's not a 'hiking' movie, nor was it a 'hiking' book. It is what Bill Bryson intended it to be. Both movies just happened to have hiking/a trail as PART of the backdrop. I liken this movie to Grumpy Old Men.

I can tell you the theater was full, and at least 90% of the audience were senior citizens (Redford fans, I presume) who probably have never or will never set foot on the trail. There were fewer than 10 people in the theater under the age of 50 including myself and my son, 2 guys about my age next to us, and another family with 2 teen boys. I would put at least 50% of the audience over age 70 and a good number would be physically incapable of hiking at all. I'm not trying to be mean, these were my observations in light of all the concern about the movie impacting the trail. I sincerely do not believe the film's impact to the trail will be near what some members of the hiking community believed it would be.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I guess everybody's comfort zone is different. I remember being more concerned about this kind of thing when my children were younger, too but - if you really want your kids to see the movie, I'd go ahead. I think it's not terribly likely that the movie's language will be new or shocking to an 11 and a 13 year old.

Jane

If your kids are 13 and 11 they already know way dirtier and crazier stuff that you can even imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbrenner View Post
    Hi.
    I know 2 people who've seen it. They said there's a lot of bad language in it.
    I cannot understand why these people (movie makers) would take a subject like the Appalachian Trail (or at least related to it), and make something trashy out of it.
    It just goes to show you what we're dealing with in Hollywood these days.
    I wished the hiker community would actively boycott this movie.
    Besides, very few scenes were shot on the trail, which is a disgrace in itself.
    The story is not about the AT but about aging and relationships along with a heavy dose of introspection. Read the book. The AT is the stage which the story takes place, but could have just as easily been the PCT, Long Trail, or anyone of a half dozen others. Its not an issue of being trashy, its more an issue of understanding what the movie story is really about.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've seen the movie and hike with my kids...

What little scenery you see of the AT is not worth exposing your kids to the R-rated language. I don't think their is any sexual references a child is going to understand... except for the language (the kitty cat word is used).

From what I recall, there are perhaps 3 scenic shots in the whole movie... two or three more that let you know you're on the AT (such as a shot of the start of the approach trail). Everything else is either on a sound stage or the setting is off the AT (hotel room, store, etc).

IMHO, there is no reason to take a child to go see this movie.

Journal Entries

We watched it last night. Probably only a dozen people in the theater. Dark when we entered, so didn't see enough to judge ages of viewers.

Yes, there were several F-bombs, but not to the extent that they seemed gratuitous. I was disappointed with the sexual innuendo and would be mildly uncomfortable about kids seeing it, depending on the kids' maturity level. The scene with the couple who gave them a ride, and the scene with Beulah asking Katz to help her in the laundromat both seemed overdone, almost too explicit.

Overall, we enjoyed the film, in particular seeing scenery from parts of the trail that we have personally experienced. They did a good job of conveying that sense of wonder when you emerge from the woods to an expansive vista.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We watched it last night. Probably only a dozen people in the theater. Dark when we entered, so didn't see enough to judge ages of viewers.

Yes, there were several F-bombs, but not to the extent that they seemed gratuitous. I was disappointed with the sexual innuendo and would be mildly uncomfortable about kids seeing it, depending on the kids' maturity level. The scene with the couple who gave them a ride, and the scene with Beulah asking Katz to help her in the laundromat both seemed overdone, almost too explicit.

Overall, we enjoyed the film, in particular seeing scenery from parts of the trail that we have personally experienced. They did a good job of conveying that sense of wonder when you emerge from the woods to an expansive vista.
    Oops yeah forgot all about the BJ scene.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Much of what makes a movie R rated is not necessary. I think Hollywood feels it is bad if the rating is too low. Sometimes scenes are put in at the beginning of the movie just to get the rating. I would not take my young children to this movie. The swearing and the sexual innuendo have less to do with it than who the target audience. This movie was clearly intended for us old farts who likely have only a couple more chances in life to walk up a hill (sarcasm alert, but not far from the truth). The language and the sexual innuendo just makes the decision that much easier. Take them to see Ant Man, or Fantastic 4, or Inside Out, or Jurassic World, or the Minion Movie instead. I have seen all of them except Inside Out. I have no intention of growing up. As to the vulgarity, if your kids go to public school and/or are not kept in a cage, they have heard every cuss word in the movie. They will not be scarred for life. I find reading vulgarity to be infinitely more abrasive than hearing it. I hear the words in print in my own voice as I type or read. But that is just me. For the most part, I don't notice it when it is spoken. I really notice it when I am watching a movie with my mother or children. Each must decide on their own. I just see better choices in the theaters that young people would enjoy more. No need to take them to a lesser movie.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I know no adult who does not curse. I know no teenager who does not curse. The sexual references, well, the Katz scene is pretty clear to an adult, probably to a teen too. However, there is nothing in the movie that is worse than watching TV or youtube. I have seen music video's that are more explicit.

I don't have children so I may way off base here, but I am young enough to remember being a kid. The reality is unless your kids live under a rock, they have probably already seen much worse. You can try, but I don't think you can hide this stuff from your kids forever. At 13, I think 99.9% of parents would be surprised at what their kids get into.

The only scene I would be worried about would be the young couple scene. Otherwise, most teenagers have seen worse on TV.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

I must be totally inured to the "bad" words, I hardly noticed them. Most music videos are far more lurid, in my opinion.

One problem I see with taking kids to a movie with lots of dirty language and sexual scenes or innuendos, etc is that it appears that a parent is at least somewhat "endorsing" the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    One problem I see with taking kids to a movie with lots of dirty language and sexual scenes or innuendos, etc is that it appears that a parent is at least somewhat "endorsing" the behavior.
    It may be a novel idea, but you could simply use this as an opportunity to actually talk to your children about these issues as difficult as I am sure it may be.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Section Hiker

Fortunately, it's primarily responsible-type parents who would even take their kids to see a movie of this type and geared toward an older audience anyway, and they (we, I) have probably already taught their children how to behave and when adult language is or isn't appropriate. As for the eluded-to BJ, it was so subtle my son didn't even catch it.

I'd be much more worried about the absentee-parents who have no idea what their kids are doing, watching, or playing at home...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

There is nothing "dirty" in the movie, saw it yesterday.... Agree that kids would be less likely to get it.... Unless they are really weird like I was.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I know no adult who does not curse. I know no teenager who does not curse. The sexual references, well, the Katz scene is pretty clear to an adult, probably to a teen too. However, there is nothing in the movie that is worse than watching TV or youtube. I have seen music video's that are more explicit.

I don't have children so I may way off base here, but I am young enough to remember being a kid. The reality is unless your kids live under a rock, they have probably already seen much worse. You can try, but I don't think you can hide this stuff from your kids forever. At 13, I think 99.9% of parents would be surprised at what their kids get into.

The only scene I would be worried about would be the young couple scene. Otherwise, most teenagers have seen worse on TV.
    My husband and I do not curse. So far as I know, my daughters (both adults) do not curse. I know lots of adults that do not curse. Despite what we see on TV and elsewhere as the prevailing culture, there are still plenty of people who prefer to live above that level and not fill their minds with it. We don't live under rocks.

On the other hand, your point is well taken. As a former public high school teacher, I have no doubt that many kids know much more than we think they do.

Those that incorporate vulgarity in their speech because of habit or because they think it somehow enforces their points, have no way of comprehending the validity of your points. Many will roll their eyes and say sarcastic things like "your kids ears won't melt". It is reasonable to be a role model. Being a role model does not mean you are a wimp or naïve. It is not turning your nose up at others like you are better or something. It does mean sacrifice. It means holding yourself to a high standard so as not to disappoint those that look up to you. It is not easy to live a consistent life. It attracts criticism from those that do not try to be a role model. It invites ridicule, such as what you will receive here. And yes, there are far more important ways to be a role model other than not taking them to this movie. My children think I am larger than life. They aspire to be like me. I am their hero. It is completely undeserved. However, how can it be a bad thing to be an influence that inspires others to do better? If others think you or I are prudes, so be it. I care more about what my children think than what they think... and I suspect you do as well.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++