WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black Forest Trail Trip Report

https://www.flickr.com/photos/492395...57656042226694

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...the-beginning/

Seventeen years ago, I met up with a friend to backpack the Black Forest Trail in PA. We only did a small portion of the trail, but even then I knew it was a special place. I finally returned to do the entire trail, retracing my steps on trails I haven't set foot on since 1998. This is something I've wanted to do for some time, but haven't. Along the way I encountered three backpackers who were on their first trip, and I enjoyed a view above the clouds. There were many people on the trail, but it did not feel crowded. This is a beautiful trail with numerous views, gorges and glens, waterfalls, scenic streams, meadows, different forest types, and great campsites. It is a 42 mile loop, and quite challenging in sections. It was great to complete something I began 17 years ago.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Nice write up and great photos.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Beautiful pictures Jeff, thanks a bunch, didn't realize PA had smokies like that, very cool indeed.

Images

Just hiked the BFT this weekend. I saw more bald Eagles than People. Here is the single bald Eagle, no pictures of the people I didn't see. ��

image.jpg

This is a super cool trail, not sure why it doesn't get more press.

Glad you enjoyed it, it is a beautiful trail.

I'm looking at doing this trail as part of my shakedown hikes for my upcoming AT thru hike.

Images

I hiked this trail last November. No other hikers/backpackers but lots of hunters, my bad for not checking the hunting schedules... Beautiful trail with a few steeper climbs. I covered this trail in two long days but wish I had another day to enjoy it more.

Beautiful an inspiring TR Jeff. I would expect nothing less. That hike is on my to do list for this summer. I drifted off to the world of canoe camping las year but lately have been hearing the siren call of the trail beckoning me back.

Images

I am likely heading back up this weekend for the third time in three weeks. there are so many hiking options that you could spend many trips hiking these routes. I am also intrigued by the possibly of combining the Pine Creek trail, West Rim trail, Algerine Trail, BFT, the trail near dyer creek going over to the Donut Trail, the donut trail and the midstate Trail. A shorter West rim, pine creek, BFT and Algerine trail is another possibility. That would be about 100 miles for the shorter loop.

The Long Branch Trail connects the BFT and WRT and has gotten very good reviews by hikers. The Donut Hole Trail has/will be re routed near Hyner View, adding several more vistas through the Nature Conservancy's West Branch Preserve. North central PA is beautiful, and a best kept backpacking secret. So many trails and vast public lands. I love it there.

Thanks. We need to go backpacking this year, and maybe some whitewater.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Sorry, this post was to msupple

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I'm looking at doing this trail as part of my shakedown hikes for my upcoming AT thru hike.
    Good luck on your thru hike! Don't tell anyone about our great trail system we have here in Pennsylvania while you're out there...he he
    Just let them think it's all rocks , rocks and more rocks....
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Images

This trail is great! Awesome write up Jeff! I've hiked it 3 times and probably will again.
    I like to collect patches from trails, and I've seen the Black Forest Trail patch sewn on hikers backpacks but can't seem to find one....
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    That would be awesome!

++ New Posts ++