WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have used a FireFly stove on the AT many times; so did Sectionhiker on his recent long section hike. In a shelter, I would always do this outside the shelter (but I would do that with any stove). Because there are times when you may want an alternative, I would always have either a bit of Esbit or alcohol as a backup. These can also be used to help get wonky wood started if that's ever an issue. However, when you are burning just a bunch of little twigs, it's amazing how much useable fuel can be found in and around a shelter even on a rainy day.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

The zip stove is a great stove that said I know it's bulky and semi heavy bonus an alchy stove will fit in nicely so a good option for crappy weather. The fire ant also works well with a trangia or a pop can stove I've used both in them. I haven't backpacked in years have been playing around with different stoves at home. If ya go fire make sure your skills are honed before you head out. Sometimes the fire gods play well other times they don't fire can be a big pita at times
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Journal Entries
    Images

During my thru I ran across several hikers who were using a wood stove. The problem I observed was their ability to always find a supply of dry wood. This resulted in having a stove that generated a lot of smoke. The smoke was objectionable to other hikers.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    During my thru I ran across several hikers who were using a wood stove. The problem I observed was their ability to always find a supply of dry wood. This resulted in having a stove that generated a lot of smoke. The smoke was objectionable to other hikers.
    Even with the best wood burners your still gonna have smoke. A fair amount of it too. Fire = smoke. There are designs out there that do a really good job of keeping the level of smoke down, however even with my CC ti-tri I have seen it look like a chimney. Granted I through a bunch of wood on it then put the pot back on not allowing enough oxygen so it didn't ignite to an inferno and dissipate the smoke instantly. However, sometimes I'm lazy.

I think using a wood stove is really not much different than cooking over a fire. It's easier to light, you need less fuel, and it leaves less of an impact. Other than that, it's cooking over fire, don't over complicate it.

Keep in mind a quality wood burner will cost as much as the best alcohol stove money can buy and a few gallons of fuel.

You have to WANT to cook over a fire to successfully use a wood burner on a thru. Otherwise you'll get sick of it and trade it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++