WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Forney Creek Trail Stream Crossings

Planning a loop hike next week. Would like to hike down Forney Creek Tr. from Clingmans. My wife doesn't like water crossings. Has anyone been there recently? What are the stream crossings like and about how many? Thanks.
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Images

which route do you plan on taking?

its been a few years since ive hiked those trails, but from memory, to me, the water crossings werent bad at all..............you'll have to take off boots, or get them wet as not til, i think, the upper crossing, can it be rock hopped......

and there's only a handful or so of them to do...........depending upon route............

there are some, well in my opinion, good campsites in that area..............for some reason, most dont like 69 but i dug it...........and i had the site right on the trail and not up on the hill................68 has the waterfall for the upper campsite..........

also, if you wanna see some history in that area, i can provide directions to an old boiler that used to pull the steam engines up the steep hill during the logging days.............in ya dig things like that...........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Heading down hill from the intersection with Forney Ridge Trail, you will encounter about 4 creek/tributary crossings in the first 2.5 miles that are all rock hop-able even during periods of high water.

Starting about 4 miles from the intersection with Forney Ridge Trail begins 5 of what I would call major creek crossings. Don't expect these to be rock hop-able by a novice, even during periods of low water.

The 1st major crossing is located about 2 miles below the water slide at upper Campsite #68 (lower Campsite #68 is about 0.4 miles farther down).
    The 2nd and 3rd major crossings are located on just either side of Campsite #69 (so leave your boots off and keep your water shoes on until you cross both of them).
    The 4th major and 5th major crossings are located about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way between Campsite #69 and the intersection with Jonas Creek Trail near Campsite #70.

While you can expect to get your feet wet, all of the crossings can be done safely. Even during a period of high water flow, I was able to negotiate these 5 water crossings with a 10yo with me. However, we did have to walk up/down stream to find safe places to cross. But during 'typical' water flows, I've had no problems negotiating the 5 water crossings with an 8yo right where the trail crosses the creek.

Perhaps the worst part of these creek crossings is that they are very rocky (or given the size of the 'rocks', perhaps I should say 'very boldery'). That just means you have to take your time and try to remember to stay as low as possible rather than try to cross on top of submerged rocks. Otherwise, you might get a little more wet than you intended to.

I'm about 5'10". During times of 'typical' water flow, I would say the water crossings start about knee deep and get deeper the farther down hill you go. The last crossing is the deepest, but also the most calm. That crossing came to about mid-thigh on me. So for an average size woman, I would say she might expect to get her shorts partially wet.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-16-2015 at 11:27.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

BTW, if your loop is to go up Jonas Creek, there are 4 major water crossings within 1.5 miles of leaving campsite #70. None of these are as difficult as the 5 on Forney Creek, but all four will likely require removing your boots unless water levels are very low. If you do remove your boots for the 1st crossing, leave them off as the 2nd crossing is less than 0.1 miles farther up stream.

There is also a creek crossing to get from Forney Creek Trail to campsite #70 on Jonas Creek, but the crossing is bridged by foot-log.

While it is typical to use Jonas or Forney Ridge to make a loop out of Forney Creek, you can also use Noland Creek/Ridge trails to make a loop. The Noland Ridge trailhead is about 1.5 miles from the Clingman's Dome parking lot. But you can also use Noland to complete a loop by walking 0.75 miles AWAY from Clingman's Dome. When you reach the pullout at the bottom of the saddle, the AT will be easily accessible on the left. From there, it's a little over 2 miles to Clingman's Dome via the AT. There are two ways to use Noland to complete a loop. You can either hike up and over Springhouse Gap... but the more interesting way is to take Forney Creek to Whiteoak Branch to Lakeshore and walk thru the 1000+' tunnel at the end of the 'Road to Nowhere'. Once you exit the tunnel, follow the road for 0.7 miles until you cross a very high bridge. The trailhead to reach Noland Creek is on the right at the pulloff. You first walk down a short access trail before heading up stream crossing under the bridge you just walked across.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-16-2015 at 11:37.

FYI. From the GSMNP site.

Forney Creek Trail from the junction with White Oak Branch Trail to the junction with Jonas Creek Trail will be closed Mon-Thurs 8/24-9/24,except 9/7.
    Trail re-construction continues until October 15th on the White Oak Branch and Forney Creek Trails. Users are advised that they may encounter machinery and the trail crew along these trails.

++ New Posts ++