WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question NOBO Clothing List -- Add a windshirt?

Hey all, long time listener, first time poster. I'm planning for a NOBO thru-hike in the year 20someday and have been meticulously researching each piece of my gear, trying to strike that glorious balance between budget, weight, and "it was in my closet already". I've settled on what I think is a pretty good list for a normal early-to-mid-March start, but now I've run across a question for which I need the experts' advice. The question is: should I add a windshirt? Here's what I have planned so far, both winter and summer gear combined (which will of course be mailed to/from home as required):

Hike
    Nike Dri-Fit s/s and/or UA Tech Tee
    UA ColdGear Evo l/s crew
    Land's End Polartec 100 wt quarter-zip fleece
    North Face Horizon II pants
    Gray lightweight mesh-like shorts (had them forever and they're lighter than anything I can find in stores -- got lucky here!)

Camp/Sleep
    Mountain Hardwear Micro Ratio down jacket, no hood
    UA ColdGear thermal henley
    Stoic Alpine Merino 150 bottoms (could be used hiking if needed)

Other stuff
    Frogg Toggs UltraLite2 rain jacket and pants (DriDucks, basically)
    2-3 pairs Darn Tough light hikers (or other wool ski socks shoved in the back corner of that one drawer)
    OR Versaliner gloves
    Brixton Heist beanie

So... enough? Or could a windshirt find its way into this list? I'm leaning "no" (as would Skurka, I think) as I could just use the rain gear as needed, but at the same time I wonder if either a Marmot DriClime could replace the fleece, or a Patagonia Houdini could work on top of the fleece. Those of you who have experience in the normal climates of the AT and hiking with windshirts, what say you? Thanks for all the help!

I truly believe that if a poll was taken, it would be split 50/50. I personally would not replace the fleece with a Marmot DriClime. However, a Patagonia Houdini made sense for me, especially balds and windy mountain tops where a Rain Jacket is to hot and or combursome. It is a great ultra-weight item under 3 oz I believe. The draw back was price. I ultimately ended up with a Columbia Mens Trail Drier Windbreaker at 6.35 oz. $29. I now am never without it, including it in Day Hiking gear, and have been saved by it in quick rain showers, windchill in the 40º to 60º short sleeve hiking weather and as a quick temporary temperature regulator. Now that I have a windshirt, it falls into the "it was in my closet already" catagory!

I am not an expert and it will be March 2018 before I hit the trail. But like you I have "meticulously researched" my gear. I backback on a regular bases, so I do so with the AT Thru in mind. Honestly, heading north you can take it from the start, add it in Virginia and get rid of it if it goes unused. I personally believe mine gets use when hiking in 30 to 60 degree weather as a shirt layer. My fleece is more of a camp rest stop non sweating use, and of course the down is used for camp below 30º. Rain Jacket is mainly for cold that is beyond the Windshirt and heavy Precipitation.

Could you go without it...yes.
    Could it be an integral part of your gear set up... yes.

So back to 50/50. No wrong answer, just how you want to hike.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I live and hike in the md/va area. My opinion is that a windshirt is a very valuable piece during the shoulder seasons. Often a 100 wt fleece is too chilly, but a 200 wt fleece is sweaty. The 100 wt fleece plus windshirt is right in the middle .

In the spring/fall, the 100 wt fleece is sweaty, but a wicking T shirt plus windshirt is good. If it's a little too warm, just push the sleeves up to the elbows. This works good with liner gloves when it's just a touch too chilly for "sleeves up" but too hot with "sleeves down".

Good luck on your hike

Images

Marmot Trail Wind Hoody.About 4 ozs and half the cost of the Houdini. That and a light wool top will get you through many cold windy days when your rain jacket will be too hot.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Thanks, all, for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Marmot Trail Wind Hoody.About 4 ozs and half the cost of the Houdini. That and a light wool top will get you through many cold windy days when your rain jacket will be too hot.
    I was actually just looking at the Marmot Trail Wind (though without the hood). I can get one of those or a Marmot DriClime for about $45, which is what got me wondering in the first place...

++ New Posts ++