WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

For the OP this is my answer: Been saving for about 9 years and have almost $100,000 saved up. On a backpackers budget I'll be able to go hiking for about 25 years. Unfortunately I have med bills that must be paid off first so another 2 years of waiting, then I'm hitting the long trails. First one will be the Ice Age Trail.

If I was in Atlantic City I would have bet 80% of my chips on this decision being reached ....."It's looking more and more like 20?? is the better year. LOL.

BB, do a search here on WB regarding how to fund a AT thru-hike and "How much does it cost to thru-hike?" OODLES of threads and posts on these topics. Who knows maybe you'll find some more inspiration. Wish you all the best. DW

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

For the OP this is my answer: Been saving for about 9 years and have almost $100,000 saved up. On a backpackers budget I'll be able to go hiking for about 25 years. Unfortunately I have med bills that must be paid off first so another 2 years of waiting, then I'm hitting the long trails. First one will be the Ice Age Trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Im in the same way stopping to pick up tossed pennies. I never figured out throwing money away. I refuse to do a go fund me for anything. I guess I'm part of the if you want it work for it generation. Hell I've picked up a few carving commissions for a new bike I want. I would honestly do that and whatever else I could to fund a hike. Begging money? Yeah I'll pass that would make the hike not as much fun. But hey who am I? If it works go for it. I know nothing about them
    That's throwing away money by not doing it. Why should I tell you you can't give me money for a hike? I don't know anything about them either but assuming no promises are made and none are broken then no harm no foul. Now if you set something up to save Little Timmy's liver and run off with the money, we have an issue. If you know all I want to do is go live in the woods for 6 months and you want to toss me $20 towards it, it's really not any different than trail magic of someone buying you a cheese burger when you're in town. I'm not going to beg you for it but I'm not going to turn you away either.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Damn!! VERY nice. Sucks about the med bills tho.

P.S. I hate you!! I know of the Ice Age Trail but nothing about it really. Yesterday while daydreaming I was looking up the long trails in Europe. There's a blogger I'm following on App Trials that is doing the Camino de Santiago. It's but a sub-section of the E-3. I have more list than I do bucket.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If I was in Atlantic City I would have bet 80% of my chips on this decision being reached ....."It's looking more and more like 20?? is the better year. LOL.
    Grrr. I hate you too.

BB, do a search here on WB regarding how to fund a AT thru-hike and "How much does it cost to thru-hike?" OODLES of threads and posts on these topics. Who knows maybe you'll find some more inspiration. Wish you all the best. DW
    I've done that in the past. Everything I saw was $3~$5k depending on hotel vs hostel, number of zeros, etc. I couldn't remember if it was pre or post gear. I'll have to go back thru and look for more ideas on funding.

This isn't intended for anyone specific.

There are A LOT of folks, especially in cyber space, who like to talk and fantasize about hiking rather than actually hiking. They want their ears tickled. Some of the common excuses for not hiking is that it isn't the perfect time or the ideal conditions don't exist or fooling themselves, and sometimes others, into believing that hiking will be enjoyed for them only if it's an epic affair such as LD hiking/thru-hiking. IF IF you truly want to experience enjoyable hiking it doesn't have to be all that complicated. It doesn't have to always, or ever be, of epic LD proportions. It doesn't have to require taking out a second mortgage or raiding the kid's college funds or neglecting commitments and responsibilities. You don't have to be in a transitional phase(Oh Brother!, are we not ALWAYS transitioning?)..........Sometimes, we make hiking, and many other things in LIFE, seem more complicated simply as an excuse to not hike, or not experience LIFE.

Possibly THE most unrealistic and inappropriate and overly romanticized and uber hyped hiking notion on the planet is having to thru-hike the AT!

Images

Possibly THE most unrealistic and inappropriate and overly romanticized and uber hyped hiking notion on the planet is having to thru-hike the AT!
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Just go hike when you can and when you can afford to. Whether it be a 2000 mile "rite-of-passage", or just a nice overnight/weekend hike. I've got a three day weekend coming up and the weather looks great. Yeah, a two night hike on the Ouachita Trail sounds just perfect. Reasonably close, affordable, doesn't negatively impact my life or require sacrifices. And how many miles will be up to my feet to decide.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Just go hike when you can and when you can afford to. Whether it be a 2000 mile "rite-of-passage", or just a nice overnight/weekend hike. I've got a three day weekend coming up and the weather looks great. Yeah, a two night hike on the Ouachita Trail sounds just perfect. Reasonably close, affordable, doesn't negatively impact my life or require sacrifices. And how many miles will be up to my feet to decide.
    It is a 3 day weekend but (here's this weekend's excuse) I'll be busy moving. Hiking up and down steps while carrying furniture is almost as much fun as mountains and a backpack right? I don't think the girlfriend has Monday off else I would get everything moved by Saturday and do an overnight Sunday somewhere. Off to email to see if she gets the day off or not.

Journal Entries
    Images

This isn't intended for anyone specific.

There are A LOT of folks, especially in cyber space, who like to talk and fantasize about hiking rather than actually hiking. They want their ears tickled. Some of the common excuses for not hiking is that it isn't the perfect time or the ideal conditions don't exist or fooling themselves, and sometimes others, into believing that hiking will be enjoyed for them only if it's an epic affair such as LD hiking/thru-hiking. IF IF you truly want to experience enjoyable hiking it doesn't have to be all that complicated. It doesn't have to always, or ever be, of epic LD proportions. It doesn't have to require taking out a second mortgage or raiding the kid's college funds or neglecting commitments and responsibilities. You don't have to be in a transitional phase(Oh Brother!, are we not ALWAYS transitioning?)..........Sometimes, we make hiking, and many other things in LIFE, seem more complicated simply as an excuse to not hike, or not experience LIFE.

I would hope that your post doesn't fit ANYONE on this forum. But then I don't get the "poser" mentality. If you don't hike, why post here? If you don't own a BMW, don't post there. Go post in whatever your hobbies truly are.

I don't get out hiking on weekends even often enough but it's generally because I'm up to something else. Kayaking, short road trip, etc. Generally still something outdoors at least. The gf's dogs are a pain in the ass. Ever try to fit 2 people, 2 backpacks, and 2 dogs in a 2 man backpacking tent? She won't even leave the dogs outside of the tent. One is a Dingo and the other a pit. It's not like they are going to freeze to death or get carried off by a squirrel looking for a snack. Maybe I should go shopping for a 4 man tent. I think I will. I've got nothing better to do today than window shop the interwebbernetz.

For me, I intend to do my thru in about 10 years, when kids are old enough that the wife goes back to work. Will probably just save for the year previous as we have always had a nice emergency fund in the bank from when we both worked. We would simply pay the bills with her wages when I am off exploring. Bought a cozy cape and fixed it up with a lot of sweat equity so our mortgage is cheap. We also don't live extravagantly so our expenses aren't high. Wife tried to convince me to thru at 26 or so when I switched jobs, but we were beginning to think about starting a family/moving so timing wasn't right. In the meantime she is good about giving me weekends here and there, to chip away at the trail, 30-40 miles at a time. I know some will say if you want to do it, make it happen, but that's not me. I would love to, but while I really really want to, if circumstances don't let me, I am okay with the section hiking I am doing. That being said, knowing I will have my last kid at 30 (tying stuff up, no surprises) I think when they are 8-12 is reasonable for me to escape for a 3-5 month adventure!

What to say? You gotta live within your means. Debt is a killer.

As others have said -- doing a thru hike mid-career is a tricky proposition. Most folks are in too deep, at that point in their lives. Jobs, mortgages, children, responsibilities all over the place.

You have to go light to thru hike, and that means getting everything copacetic in the real world. If not copacetic, at least stable or in a state where it won't crush you when your adventures are over and you're back in it.

Or put off the thru hike for a better time. It won't be much fun if the real world is weighing you down. The trail will be there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mooney View Post
    That being said, knowing I will have my last kid at 30 (tying stuff up, no surprises) I think when they are 8-12 is reasonable for me to escape for a 3-5 month adventure!
    (You) getting snipped takes about 15 minutes and a weekend to recover. Highly recommend it.

8-12 is prime Little League and Ballet age. Wait until they are nasty teenagers then you'll be ready to bail!!!

Images

Rent the house while your hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Rent the house while your hiking.
    I'd rather drop a screwdriver in the breaker box than deal with a tenant. Having a roommate (my daughter) is bad enough. Tenants? Ewww. But yeah, that is one idea.

If you save when you don't have to, you will learn that you will never have to save for anything again. When people ask me what I am saving for, I shake my head. I save so I never have to "save" for something.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++