WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by AllenIsbell View Post
    I misread. My apologies.

However, it still sounds like chance that worked out in his favor.
    I agree. It's the timing of events that's a little uncanny. Like my story where I was out alone, and the right things happened at the right time, and I wound up with that hiking bud.
    And there are other stories in this thread, similar in that respect ; something negative is going on, something unusual happens and you wind up with a positive outcome.
    Sure, it goes the other way, too. You can be in a nightclub, having a good time, and some maniac comes in and kills 50 people. But, the thread was about miracles, and I think most folks associate a miracle with something good happening, even tho that may be inconsistent with the definition. ..

Journal Entries

I was talking to God the other day and God said to me, "I haven't preformed any of the miracles people attribute to me. Hell, I didn't even set things in motion." I told God not to worry as mankind would blame and thank God anyways.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I think most folks associate a miracle with something good happening
    Not necessarily... it could be a Festivus miracle.

Yes. #1 In October I was driving my '98 Geo Metro down the interstate and was stopped due to morning traffic. The semi behind me used me to stop. I woke up the next afternoon in SAMMC, the military level one trauma center (I'm not military). The hatchback part of my car was touching the back of my seat.... #2 Last summer my friends 12 year old niece was sent home from the hospital on hospice due to inoperable bone cancer, and complete liver failure due to Chemo. This past January she went for a checkup. Oncologist says to her mother, we need to do some tests. Brings in both parents for the test results and says the reason he needed to do the tests was because she "didn't look sick enough". The cancer was gone. The Liver was at greater than 95% function. The Oncologist had no explanation, just told them to take her home and enjoy their lives!

People survive wild car crashes every day.

People defeat cancer every day.

Meanwhile, people die from car crashes and cancer everyday.

Where's the miracle? A good/happy/fortunate outcome doesn't equate to a miracle to me.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trichardson View Post
    Yes. #1 In October I was driving my '98 Geo Metro down the interstate and was stopped due to morning traffic. The semi behind me used me to stop. I woke up the next afternoon in SAMMC, the military level one trauma center (I'm not military). The hatchback part of my car was touching the back of my seat.... #2 Last summer my friends 12 year old niece was sent home from the hospital on hospice due to inoperable bone cancer, and complete liver failure due to Chemo. This past January she went for a checkup. Oncologist says to her mother, we need to do some tests. Brings in both parents for the test results and says the reason he needed to do the tests was because she "didn't look sick enough". The cancer was gone. The Liver was at greater than 95% function. The Oncologist had no explanation, just told them to take her home and enjoy their lives!
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze! Very nice first post.

The real definition of a miracle is up to whomever it happened to.

But some of the stories I have read in this thread sound like true miracles to me.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    The real definition of a miracle is up to whomever it happened to.

If a definition can't be agreed upon, then we can't even begin to have a conversation. Miracle, as defined in the Oxford Dictionary, is a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency. This is basically how I would define miracle.

But some of the stories I have read in this thread sound like true miracles to me.

Do any of these stories fall under that definition? Could any of them be only explained by saying "magic did it?" I haven't heard the first compelling story. What I have heard are stories where chance played out in someone's favor.

Carl
    My response in red.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++