WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Props to the Cinnamon Bear inn Mammoth Lakes!!!!

Wow!!!! What great people at a great place...I stayed with them located just behind Schats Bakery during my time out for JMT. Rudy the Inn keeper not only drove me to Devils Post Pile once but twice and refused payment! Good value at $74 for hiker room compared to $120++ at all others even motel 6!! The room also comes with an amazing breakfast that the cook to order every morning!! Great people and a great value!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs down Not so charitable

Glad your experience was good, they weren't very accommodating to us with our difficulty in getting to them during the closure of Tioga Pass Road due to the walker fire in August. The best they could do was a voucher when we had to cancel with less than 24 hours notice or face a 2-3 hour additional detour north. I doubt we'll get back there to use it within the year and would probably look elsewhere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablemob View Post
    Glad your experience was good, they weren't very accommodating to us with our difficulty in getting to them during the closure of Tioga Pass Road due to the walker fire in August. The best they could do was a voucher when we had to cancel with less than 24 hours notice or face a 2-3 hour additional detour north. I doubt we'll get back there to use it within the year and would probably look elsewhere anyway.
    Yeah, that seems like a reasonable cancellation policy. Glad to hear saltysack's good experience. I am going to pencil that one into my guidebook for next year.

Images

I will also add my recommendation for the Cinnamon Bear. In fact, I believe I was the one who suggested it to saltysack. They provided great service and accommodation for my hiking partner and I the summer before last. They held our travel duffels for us for three weeks while we were out hiking. Location is very convenient.

Journal Entries

Mammoth Lakes also has this hostel. I've stayed there comfortably twice.

http://www.mammoth-guest.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I will also add my recommendation for the Cinnamon Bear. In fact, I believe I was the one who suggested it to saltysack. They provided great service and accommodation for my hiking partner and I the summer before last. They held our travel duffels for us for three weeks while we were out hiking. Location is very convenient.
    Yep...great recommendation....sorry to hear others didn't feel the love....Rudy let me wash a load of stinky hiker laundry for free also...ill definitely stay again...my first hostel stay was in lone pine at the end of the hike.....never again.....a few sketchy people...non hikers...rather pay more at the Dow villa next time.....unfortunately they we're sold out.....

Images

This past August I did some hiking around Cottonwood Pass/Forester Pass/Whitney. When I came out I got a shower at the Lone Pine Hostel. No one there at the time, had to call an employee on the phone, she came down and let me in to the showers. They were clean and hot, employee was very pleasant - no complaints, didn't stay the night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    This past August I did some hiking around Cottonwood Pass/Forester Pass/Whitney. When I came out I got a shower at the Lone Pine Hostel. No one there at the time, had to call an employee on the phone, she came down and let me in to the showers. They were clean and hot, employee was very pleasant - no complaints, didn't stay the night though.
    I'm not knocking the hostel...just had awkward vibe with a few people staying there....non hikers. It was very clean and girl at desk was very nice.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll be staying at the Cinnamon Bear prior to the start of my JMT thru-hike this September; again about 5 days later; and then post-hike for a few days when my girl friend flies out to meet me. Looking forward to it!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Just want to offer my impression of Mammoth Lakes in general... Mammoth Lakes is a resort town, there are lots of restaurants and services there, but I thought it was totally lacking in ambiance. It was a good place to get cleaned up a few day into a JMT SOBO, but post hike I would consider exploring the surrounding area and skip Mammoth Lakes

I much preferred staying in the little worn out towns in the area like Lone Pine, Lee Vining, and Bridgeport. I like old things with character, but that is just me. YMMV

Make sure you stop in Schat's bakery just down from the inn...yummy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'll be staying at the Cinnamon Bear prior to the start of my JMT thru-hike this September; again about 5 days later; and then post-hike for a few days when my girl friend flies out to meet me. Looking forward to it!
    Is Rudy and his GF still running it? Awesome people and a great breakfast....Schats for dessert after breakfast...Rudy shuttled me to Devils twice on my hike....wouldn't even accept any money....

++ New Posts ++