Thread: Bear Spray

Images

Default Bear Spray

bear spray, good or bad? why?

Good.
    Why? It works.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Personally I think it's "bad" to carry things that I don't need. The odds of truly needing bear spray on the PCT are near zero. Therefore, for me on the PCT bear spray is "bad."

A reader asked yesterday why bear spray is illegal at Yosemite National Park. Rangers told us Yosemite doesn't have grizzlies, has never recorded a black bear-on-human attack, and, well, they're more worried about people misting bears (and each other) willy-nilly.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about bear safety in Grizzly country, this video was a lecture given by to NOLS employees. The instruction/demonstration about bear spray starts around minute 58, and shows why bear spray really is the best option out there for people who are inclined to carry a form of protection against bears. I found the entire video very interesting:

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bear spray sounds like a good idea in grizzly country but not needed in black bear country.

Any grizz country along the PCT?

No need in the Sierra Nevada, that's for sure.

Garlic
    Images

CDT (and PNT) maybe, PCT no.

An accident with that stuff will ruin your day. And I had a can leak in a pack and despite repeatedly washing it, I sneezed when I packed that pack for the next five years.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Bear spray sounds like a good idea in grizzly country but not needed in black bear country.

Any grizz country along the PCT?
    There are a very few in North Cascades NP. I'm not sure if a PCT hiker has ever seen one.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I've been hiking in the Sierra Nevada for over 20 years, I've never seen anyone carrying bear spray there. I've never heard of any PCT thru-hiker carring bear spray and didn't see anyone doing so when I hiked it. Hikers do carry on the CDT though.

++ New Posts ++