Default Starting NOBO from Campo mid-June?

I am a teacher who section hikes the AT for 2-3 weeks every summer and averages about 18-20 miles per day. I'm hoping to finish up the AT in 2016 and look forward to starting the PCT in 2017. I've always trekked north on the AT. So....

Is it doable to start a 3 week section hike from Campo after the first week of June? Earliest I can start would be ~June 5th. Worried about water/heat that late into the year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, It's do-able but gonna be hot (and dry)
    I say do-able because I'm from PA also and took a while to get used to the heat and now live in the tropics at 7 degrees north of the equator and still hike and run.
    I few things to adjust in your hiking style for the heat:
    1/ Get up early. I mean 4 AM and get most of your miles in by noon.
    2/ Try to spend your 4 hour lunch break at or near water and shade (not always easy but if you compromise and plan well, can be done usually)
    3/ Take that 4 hour afternoon heat, relaxing in the shade and drinking lots of water and eating your main meal of the day. No hurry.
    4/ Head out again around 4 PM and hike until 7 or almost dark.
    5/ Have a light meal, cup of tea, and go to sleep at dark to do it all again tomorrow.

Also: wear a hat that ventilates and full brim if possible. (I wear a straw hat like the Mexican farmers do. It ventilates well. But be sure to tie it on as it gets windy)
    Wear long sleeve (cotton) shirt and long pants to conserve moisture while hiking.
    Again, look at the Mexican farmers and fishermen and see what they are wearing. They cover up for a reason.

I haven't done the PCT for 10+ years now but understand there is an app now that gives pretty up to date water availablity at the water supplies.
    I'd check that out and use it.

Back on my first PCT hike, we had none of that and had to find tiny seeps in cow **** but, I think those days are gone as there are caches and more accurate reporting now-a-days.

Remember too: it's not all desert. You will have Jacinto, Laguna, Baden Powell, to break up the desert heat, so, bring your lightweight long johns anyway.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

++ New Posts ++