WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Solong 6 with Easton 2117 fall staker arrow shafts as tent poles.

Hello everyone!

So I bought a Lightheart Solong 6. I have not bought trekking poles yet. Never used them. I set the tent up using modified poles from an old tent. I came across a youtube video about a guy using arrow shafts for tent poles, they broke because there was to much arch/bend to hold the tent up. The way the Solong 6 is made, the poles would not arch/bend but go down at an angle. I bought 4, 2117 arrows that are about 30 3/4" without the notches. I'm looking for the sleeves to connect the shafts. Got to give credit to woodenarrows for the idea. His video is Making ultra light tent poles for a wenzel star lite backpacking tent-revised on youtube. Has anyone tried this with other non-free standing tents? The arrow shaft weight 1 oz a piece.Thanks!

Images

I have a solong 6 . looked at the video you mentioned and from my experience about solong 6. I think you better buy their adjustable aluminium tent poles that is designed for people like you that for some reasons don't use the hiking poles. It is 40 dollar and 8 OZ per pair. Why you need them? because you need your poles to be adjustable , That is a vital factor in any pole that would be used in Lightheart tents and I don't see an easy way for you to make them adjustable .

I am sure you can finally find a way to make them adjustable but then the cost and quality and possibly your tent's integrity might not be up to par with the original aluminium poles or hiking poles.

But if there is a wish there is a way also. Good luck

Ok I will get adjustable trekking poles. I guess the idea to use the arrow shafts was because i thought what if I broke one (trekking pole) Then might not be able to set up the tent. Which ones do you use?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kontiki View Post
    Ok I will get adjustable trekking poles. I guess the idea to use the arrow shafts was because i thought what if I broke one (trekking pole) Then might not be able to set up the tent. Which ones do you use?
    I use a pair of pacerpoles that is a great pair of trekking poles but I definitely do not recommend these poles for you because they are not the best choice to be used for the Solong 6. They are what we call twist lock which is not the new technology. here is the link for pacer pole I use:
    http://www.pacerpole.com/product/3-s...lloy-pacerpole

What you need is any of the newer technology poles that use speedlock or flicklock( it is very similar).

Here is the link to outdooe gear lab to choose from: Don't forget that you need the ones with speed or flicklock mechanism and I think you better avoid the ones that are carbon fiber because they are not as strong as aluminium poles no matter how good they are built.

How about this :
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trekki...ond-Trail-Back

It is cheap and trail tested but if you want to spend more there are may other options.

Ps: I use the pacerpole because they were a gift and they came before the tent. For my 2016 PCT thru hike I will buy a flick or speed lock mechanismaluminium pole undoubtedly.

One more time...
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with properly built and properly working twist lock poles. I have used twist locks on camera tripods and Komperdell trekking poles since forever without a failure. The so called "newer, better" flicklocks have parts that can fail.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    One more time...
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with properly built and properly working twist lock poles. I have used twist locks on camera tripods and Komperdell trekking poles since forever without a failure. The so called "newer, better" flicklocks have parts that can fail.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wayne
    OK Wayne, aka Twist Lock.

I never had any issues with my twist locks, either. However, they were on the heavier side. When I went looking for new poles, I couldn't even find any more twist locks in the store, and my new poles were so light that I made the switch. I've been lucky, I guess, because both have worked well for me.

I've been looking at new poles. Thinking that I could save some weight. My current aluminum poles weigh 19 ounces. they have saved my bacon when a large rock rotated out from under my right foot and I had to throw all of my weight + a heavy pack on the right pole. The pole saved my bacon, an ankle, probably a knee, maybe my head, etc. I have found a lot of carbon poles for a lot of money with equal or very little less weight than my current poles. I won't spend $100+ to save an ounce or two. I wouldn't trust the 6-8 ounce each carbon poles, for a lot more money, as far as I could throw them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I use black diamond alpine carbon cork with newer flick lock...I'm over 210lbs plus 20-30 lb pack and they have saved my arse so many times!! I have no concerns with durability of these...they do great with my solong6 as well. I actually just snapped the short awning pole set up I had...2 short sections of Easton carbon tent poles about diameter of arrows you speak of....I have more sections to replace them but during cold weather I'd rather keep my tent closed up....its warmer...I can't imagine not having my BD poles...on my JMT thru I nearly rolled my ankle probably a dozen times. The poles kept me from ending my hike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

One more time...
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with properly built and properly working twist lock poles.
    I concur.

I wouldn't trust the 6-8 ounce each carbon poles, for a lot more money, as far as I could throw them.
    I felt this way many years ago too until I tried the Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4 poles. Lighter poles require a slightly different hiking style...i.e. they require you to actually walk using good technique, and use the poles primarily for balance. I used to about drag myself up hills with my arms when I had heavier aluminum poles, and once I made the switch my technique greatly improved. It also significantly reduced the stress on my hands, wrists and shoulders. Plus the poles are a lot stronger than they look. I'm 6'-5" and about 200 lbs for reference.

Full disclosure - I did have one pole break on me last year after close to 1,000 miles of use. I was falling and caught myself very awkwardly snapping the lower part. GG sells pole pieces so I was able to just buy the piece I needed. 50 bucks for a replacement piece, and I should be good to go for several more years. Money well spent in my opinion.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kontiki View Post
    I guess the idea to use the arrow shafts was because i thought what if I broke one (trekking pole) Then might not be able to set up the tent.
    If this happens you just get innovative. Tape the pole. Use a stick. Put a splice (i.e. a stick inside) in the pole, and tape it...I actually did this last year and it worked well enough that I used the broken pole to set my tent up for about week.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

One thing about tents that use trekking poles (or some equivalent substitute), I figure if I break or lose a trekking pole, in a pinch I can always use a stick. Break it off at 115 cm (for my tent) and whittle a point with my SAK. That assumes you are hiking someplace with trees.

This is why I have resisted spending mass quantities of money for possible diminishing returns with carbon poles, either trekking or tent variations:

Increasing a tubes diameter, however, increases its stiffness at a cubed rate. If you double the diameter of a given tube, the new tube will weigh twice as much but be eight times as stiff as the smaller tube.
    Skinny tubes are weak tubes.

Wayne

++ New Posts ++