WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The zpacks cuben liner is a very elegant solution, well made like all zpacks gear, etc but outward appearance won't necessarily reveal pinholes and I had a lot of them that I discovered after a soaking rainstorm. I've gone to compactor bags since then. I did get a lot of use from the zpacks liner so I'm not really complaining but for me the peace of mind of being able to use a brand new compactor bag for each hike is worth quite a bit and it is equally effective if there is enough material to twist and tuck the top.

Journal Entries

Test a liner frequently, especially when expecting rain, and patch with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I used a compactor bag for years, and could never get it to seal particularly well. Had one incident when my water bladder came apart inside the pack (but above the compactor bag) and water got inside the bag so I had a small lake at the bottom of the bag. Where my down sleeping bag was, naturally. User error, of course, but it didn't make my bag any drier that night.

So a couple of years ago I bought the Zpacks roll top cuben pack liner. Much easier to use, and based on my experience last year, it really does work to keep everything dry. My pack soaked through during several days of heavy rain, and all my stuff inside the liner was totally dry.

Do check occasionally for pinholes, which are easily patched. (Haven't had any yet on the pack liner, since it's well protected, but I have a lot on my cuben food bag.)
    Another reason I don't use bladders!! I've seen several new bladders fail inside packs...just 2 weeks ago a guy I was walking with on the JMT had his brand new osprey pack/bladder bust and fill his pack...I've never broke a smart water bottle...just broke my first Nalgene a few weeks ago...@ gym not on trail. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I simply tuck the top of the compactor bag towards the outside of the pack.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Another reason I don't use bladders!! I've seen several new bladders fail inside packs...just 2 weeks ago a guy I was walking with on the JMT had his brand new osprey pack/bladder bust and fill his pack...I've never broke a smart water bottle...just broke my first Nalgene a few weeks ago...@ gym not on trail. Just my .02

That makes me wonder of the feasibility of carrying an oven liner bag/compactor bag wrapping the bladder. in conjunction of carrying a compactor bag.
    It would make a spare if needed in a pinch.

I've not been exposed to compactor bags. What is the mil thickness and size you guys recommend for a ULA Catalyst or Osprey Atmos 65AG carrying around 30-35 lbs? Is there a trash bag that is as good from the hardware store say?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I've not been exposed to compactor bags. What is the mil thickness and size you guys recommend for a ULA Catalyst or Osprey Atmos 65AG carrying around 30-35 lbs? Is there a trash bag that is as good from the hardware store say?
    Around here, I see the compactor bags in Wally World, Target and some of the grocery stores. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-Tras...-of-5/16664568

The roll of 40 in the store is a couple bucks more expensive than the 5-pack on line. My Granite Gear Crown VC60 is about the same size as your Catalyst and Atmos. The bags fit fine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As a note, get the unscented bags. The scented bag issues become evident at mile 12.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    As a note, get the unscented bags. The scented bag issues become evident at mile 12.
    The peppermint ones are OK. All the other scented ones.... feh!

I use a 20 gal (75.7L) 2' 4" X 2' 11" X 2.0mil trash compactor bag. I create an elephant's snout at the top, double it over itself, & use a loop of shock cord to secure the top. Works great.

I don't try to keep EVERYTHING in trash compactor bag. Only the stuff that can be compromised by moisture goes inside the trash compactor bag.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I don't try to keep EVERYTHING in trash compactor bag. Only the stuff that can be compromised by moisture goes inside the trash compactor bag.
    Uhm, right. Tent and footprint, rain gear, sleeping mat, water shoes, all go outside the compactor bag. So does the bear bag, since it's already waterproofed. The sleeping bag, even though it's in a compression dry bag, goes inside. I don't mind that the sleeping bag is in its dry bag, plus the pack liner, plus the pack cover. I've fallen in a river with my pack on and it was SOOOO nice to have a dry sleeping bag available as I was dealing with the aftermath. (I think that was the one time in the last year that I've had a campfire, although there were a couple more times that I sat at someone else's fire.)

Everything that I absolutely don't want getting wet goes into the liner. Typically that means clothing, sleeping bag and mat. Sometimes, I also include fire starting and first aid kits, depending on the situation. For backpacking, I use the Gossamer gear liners. For canoe camping, more stuff goes into the liners, and I use some from Duluth Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Uhm, right. Tent and footprint, rain gear, sleeping mat, water shoes, all go outside the compactor bag. So does the bear bag, since it's already waterproofed. The sleeping bag, even though it's in a compression dry bag, goes inside. I don't mind that the sleeping bag is in its dry bag, plus the pack liner, plus the pack cover. I've fallen in a river with my pack on and it was SOOOO nice to have a dry sleeping bag available as I was dealing with the aftermath. (I think that was the one time in the last year that I've had a campfire, although there were a couple more times that I sat at someone else's fire.)
    If I use a double-walled tent in wet weather, I'll have two stuff sacks for my tent: one for the tent body (which stays dry & inside my trash compactor bag) & one for the tent fly/ground sheet (which can get wet & stays outside my trash compactor bag). The poles & stakes will go outside my pack in the wand pocket on the side of the pack.

I will also add my NeoAir X-lite inside my trash compactor bag in a vertical orientation (along w/ my sleeping bag & clothing bag; I seem to make things fit better in the vertical orientation in my pack). The tent body is also packed in the vertical orientation. I can easily get all four items packed this way in the bottom of my pack.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I have some water proof, odor "proof" bags I use as pack liners and food bag liners. I got them from LiteTrail, but they now seem to be out of business. Their web site now forwards to this product on Amazon, which I presume to be the same (although mine are clear plastic, not green. They are lighter weight than trash compactor bags (which I used previously). They seem to be pretty durable, but I only go on relatively short hikes so I can't comment on long-term durability. I got them after my trip last summer when I noticed that my food bag was smelling rather ripe after 6 days. I was able to get a sample pack of large and medium bags. The medium bags fit perfectly in my ZPacks CF food bag. I use the large bags as pack liners. I pack my food bag on top of the pack liner, so now there are two odor "proof" liners between my food and my other gear (clothes/sleeping bag) that I would rather not smell like cheese and sausage. I write odor "proof" as I don't believe anything is truly 100% effective at blocking odor. But I know the odor "proof" bags are at least better than typical bags since even I can smell the food and garbage stored in polyethylene bags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHH5GK4?tag=0199-20

Images

How to close it? Well that depends on what you are trying to protect against. On a recent very rainy trip I just twisted a couple of times and tucked toward the front. on my PCt hike where I had many very hairy stream crossings, I had a small section of para rod to tie it up tight. was it needed? Absolutely. in N. Yosemite at had a full submersion on a crossing and the tied bag kept my gear completely dry. It is unlikely that a twisting would have protected as well. but few trips involve the risk of a prolonged submersion so the twist will work for most.

Curious if anyone can explain why the trash compactor bag is superior to your standard black garbage can liner. I have always used them and actually never heard of a trash compactor bag until recently. Not sure I have ever seen them in the bag department of grocery store.

Trash compactor bags are thicker than most other garbage bags with the exception of contractor-type garbage bags. Also, some of the thicker/more durable garbage bags are huge, like 50 gallons. The trash compactor bags are usually much smaller than those.

Quote Originally Posted by cycle003 View Post
    Trash compactor bags are thicker than most other garbage bags with the exception of contractor-type garbage bags. Also, some of the thicker/more durable garbage bags are huge, like 50 gallons. The trash compactor bags are usually much smaller than those.
    So, more pack sized and more durable?

Thanks

Yep..white also makes easier to see in than black

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have some water proof, odor "proof" bags I use as pack liners and food bag liners. I got them from LiteTrail, but they now seem to be out of business. Their web site now forwards to this product on Amazon, which I presume to be the same (although mine are clear plastic, not green. They are lighter weight than trash compactor bags (which I used previously). They seem to be pretty durable, but I only go on relatively short hikes so I can't comment on long-term durability. I got them after my trip last summer when I noticed that my food bag was smelling rather ripe after 6 days. I was able to get a sample pack of large and medium bags. The medium bags fit perfectly in my ZPacks CF food bag. I use the large bags as pack liners. I pack my food bag on top of the pack liner, so now there are two odor "proof" liners between my food and my other gear (clothes/sleeping bag) that I would rather not smell like cheese and sausage. I write odor "proof" as I don't believe anything is truly 100% effective at blocking odor. But I know the odor "proof" bags are at least better than typical bags since even I can smell the food and garbage stored in polyethylene bags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHH5GK4?tag=0199-20

I think those are the same ones I mentioned in post #12 above. I haven't used any of them yet, but they do seem to be a good size and seem pretty strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++