WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Here are scientific papers on backcountry water quality...

along with the citations are clickable links to the whole paper or abstract, along with some key quotes from the paper and some of my own comments where I think they are needed.

Some of these studies apply directly to the Appalachian Trail specifically, some to backcountry water in general, but all should be of interest to those who are trying to track down the best science on the topic.

You can check it out here.

Good resource! Makes the small investment in flirtation or treatment good insurance.

Well that basically puts to bed any doubt that some people will get sick from drinking back country water (and some will not). I guess Dirty Harry's observation "Do you feel lucky punk" applies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Good resource! Makes the small investment in flirtation or treatment good insurance.
    So................... you are saying if I make a small investment in flirtation, the person I'm flirting with will make sure my water is safe ?!?!

No amount of insurance will cover what my wife will do to me when she finds out.

Sweetwater guardian with silt stopper and then iodine chem tabs. I'm paranoid !!!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Here's an interesting write up on testing various purification methods for the removal of Gardenia Cysts. The paper is from a few years ago but the results from the use of filtration, iodine, and chlorine are just as relevant today.

Back-country water treatment to prevent giardiasis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1349767/

Test Methods and products tested are on 1633

Product results are on 1635

My apologies if Colter cited this paper already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EVC View Post
    Here's an interesting write up on testing various purification methods for the removal of Gardenia Cysts. The paper is from a few years ago but the results from the use of filtration, iodine, and chlorine are just as relevant today.

Back-country water treatment to prevent giardiasis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1349767/

Test Methods and products tested are on 1633

Product results are on 1635...
    I'm familiar with that paper but I don't think I cited it. I'll add it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I'm familiar with that paper but I don't think I cited it. I'll add it. Thanks!
    I found it very interesting that none of the chemical treatments where more than 90% effective in within 30 minutes and that Iodine was the only chemical treatment to get to 99% effectiveness even after 8 hours. Even more enlightening was that the only thing that tested 100% effective was filtration. Only two of the four filters evaluated had < 1 micro filtration capability and achieved 100% effectiveness.

Thanks again, I learned a ton about this thanks to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by EVC View Post
    I found it very interesting that none of the chemical treatments where more than 90% effective in within 30 minutes and that Iodine was the only chemical treatment to get to 99% effectiveness even after 8 hours. Even more enlightening was that the only thing that tested 100% effective was filtration. Only two of the four filters evaluated had < 1 micro filtration capability and achieved 100% effectiveness...
    Interesting stuff. I added a link to the EPA guidance manual for chemical treatments including chlorine dioxide, (Aquamira) which wasn't included in that other paper. It looks to me that in 50 degree water chlorine dioxide will kill 99% of giardia in 15 minutes, and 99.9% in 23 minutes. Of course, it will take more time in colder water.

If the world were as dangerous as the Nanny Police want us to think it is, the human race would have ceased to exist long before we learned how to control fire.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If the world were as dangerous as the Nanny Police want us to think it is, the human race would have ceased to exist long before we learned how to control fire.
    No police. Do whatever you want.

Back in the day many survived without treating water. Still do.

I can both know that washing my hands before eating might prevent me from getting sick and decide to skip it if I'm in hurry or not in the mood. Either way, knowledge is a good thing.

Images

The study was specific saying streams and ponds. Many people drink water from springs but treat water from streams and ponds. I try to never drink water from streams or ponds because of course they contain stuff we do not want to ingest. Water from a spring is, to me very clean, if you can capture the cold water coming out of the earth prior to getting in a pool with leaves and such I just drink it, bottle it and use it without treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    The study was specific saying streams and ponds. Many people drink water from springs but treat water from streams and ponds. I try to never drink water from streams or ponds because of course they contain stuff we do not want to ingest. Water from a spring is, to me very clean, if you can capture the cold water coming out of the earth prior to getting in a pool with leaves and such I just drink it, bottle it and use it without treatment.
    I'm not sure which study you're talking about, but here are some quotes from the summaries of four different papers:

In several studies, the consumption of untreated water from a lake, river, or spring and rainwater was significantly associated with cryptosporidiosis.

Hibler (1988) found Giardia cysts in 19% of springs

Do not drink untreated water from lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, streams, or shallow wells.

As a result of these findings, park managers increased efforts to inform visitors of the need to treat drinking water and removed improvements at backcountry springs

Water can come out of the ground contaminated because it may not have flown far enough through the soil to be purified.

And again, treating or filtering is still optional.

Most of the studies were done on streams and ponds or in different parts of the country. Most of the sources on the AT are springs in areas with no people or domestic animals. I think I treated my water twice, once at a beaver pond, the only source of water and at a river.

Most of the studies were done on streams and ponds or in different parts of the country.

And some of them were done on or along the A.T.

Most of the sources on the AT are springs in areas with no people or domestic animals.

NONE of the sources on the AT are in areas with no people.

I think I treated my water twice, once at a beaver pond, the only source of water and at a river.

Awesome. Like not washing hands before eating, many people don't get sick, some do.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Most of the studies were done on streams and ponds or in different parts of the country. Most of the sources on the AT are springs in areas with no people or domestic animals. I think I treated my water twice, once at a beaver pond, the only source of water and at a river.
    Domestic animals are not the only carriers of parasites, many wild animals carry them. Also, there are very few places along the AT where people are not nearby if not directly upstream. Regardless, filtering is good insurance but is not required. We all measure risk and consequences of failure, some have a higher level of consequence tolerance, some have a preference for risk mitigation. For me the question is why take the chance and ruin what should be a pleasant time.

Thanks for posting the studies together Colter.

I find so many details missing and hence questionable, if not faulty, conclusions reached in all the abstracts, and what I was able to read in the full studies that I did read, that I come to no other comment than if that's the BEST science on the subject it is woefully inaccurate and incomplete AND apparently has been amassed in a biased attempt to support a preconceived narrative or blanket CDC or western medical policy.

What pray tell is a blanket CDC or western medical policy? Does the CDC even have specific policy or recommendations for backcountry water consumption? And what makes you so much more knowledgeable than the experts cited in Colter's post?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    So................... you are saying if I make a small investment in flirtation, the person I'm flirting with will make sure my water is safe ?!?!

No amount of insurance will cover what my wife will do to me when she finds out.

Sweetwater guardian with silt stopper and then iodine chem tabs. I'm paranoid !!!
    Seems like nobody caught that.
    Flirtation vs filtration.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Seems like nobody caught that.
    Flirtation vs filtration.
    I caught it right away and had a little chuckle.

Journal Entries

Haven't read all the articles, but was wondering how age factors in. Do we have less risk as we age? I understand we do but wondering if that's accurate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++