Default 2016 Documentary

Hi everyone! I want to introduce a project I think might be of interest. In 2016, I'll be doing a NOBO thru-hike of the AT while a documentary film is made about my journey and other women thru-hikers. This is a passion project about women, made by women, and for women that was developed after disappointing searches to find documentaries about women hikers. You can find out more about our film, THRU,and watch our trailer at our website (www.ThruATdoc.com) and at our new facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/thruatdoc).
    Don't worry, we aren't asking for money! We genuinely just want to share our project with you and we would love to hear about any ideas or feedback or dreams you have for our project. And who knows, if the timing works out and you are interested, maybe we can hike together at some point and you can be a part of the film too! We've already been in touch with women who have reached out hoping to meet us on the trail with their daughters. This has made us so happy because....
    Our mission is to inspire women of all ages to be adventurous, self-reliant, and confident in both physically demanding situation and everyday life. That's why we are collaborating with the amazingly awesome non-profit SheJumps (http://www.SheJumps.org) who shares our ideals and goals. If you are looking to become more involved in your community and the outdoors and are looking for a group of strong and supportive women to help you learn and grow, check them out!

When are going to start

We will be starting in March.

I'll be on the trail in New England in July or August for a month with my 10 year old son. Maybe we'll cross paths.
    Good luck with the documentary!

That is great; what a lucky kid! Thanks!

This is so rad, I'm a women's studies major and an outdoors enthusiast, so I love seeing the pairing of the two

Update for those who are interested in seeing this project come to fruition. Through Indiegogo, we are raising the money necessary to produce our film. Even though we will be walking over 2,180 miles next year, we need your help to take the first step. Please consider making a donation to our campaign and/or sharing our campaign with your friends and family. This project won't be possible without you!
    Find our campaign at the link below and don't forget to check out all of the special rewards available at each donation(investment) level!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-documentary#/

This is such a cool project! Thanks for sharing the indiegogo link!!

I'm celebrating my 57 th birthday with a NOBO section hike through the entire State of Virginia on June 1, maybe we will see each other on the trail??

Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday! I think we might be past Virginia at that point, but it's hard to say! If we are around Virginia then we hope to run into you!

Thanks! Feel free to share with friends and family. We are off to a strong start, but we still need all the help we can get!

Hiya!
    My partner & I are planning on a section hike (again, the first time didn't go so well) in March/April from Carver's Gap to 19e (TN/NC). We "attempted" this hike last month but cut it short due to an injury and the weather got really bad. We made it from Carver's Gap to Overmountain shelter at least. It was the most amazing experience and we can't wait to successfully complete it next time! Anyway, after we got back home and talked more about it, we realized we only saw ONE woman hiker the entire time and she may have been just a day hiker (she was carrying a small pack). Every hiker we did talk to/pass was male and even they seemed completely surprised to see two women on the trail. We're not sure if it was because we were female, overweight, or kind of older (we were twice the age of the hikers we did talk to). Maybe it was just the time of year, but it was quite surprising. Looking forward to seeing this documentary and hopefully watch it bring more women to the trail! It also amazes me talking to other women how they would never consider the hike due to "safety". I think it's a big misconception of the trail and I encourage more women to reconsider it.

But if you need anyone from Carver's Gap to 19e for the film, let us know! We will be more than happy to make the trip since we live a few hours from the trail!

This sounds awesome! I'll be starting my NOBO hike on April 24, maybe I'll see you on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    This sounds awesome! I'll be starting my NOBO hike on April 24, maybe I'll see you on the trail?
    I'm currently planning on starting April 21st NOBO, I'm sure I'll see you around!

Journal Entries
    Images

This project sounds awesome. So I'm a NYC-based feminist artist who will begin NOBO on 4/9 from springer. We share a mission- further the positive and accurate representation of our gender in media. I'll be capturing my own hike with photo, film, movement, writing. Hope to connect with you on the trail! And best of luck with this work.

Way cool project! I'm starting March 16th, so hopefully I'll see you there! Thanks for sharing the links!

So… not to be creepy but I'm also in Fl- southeast coat. My husband was born and raised down here otherwise I'd be back at home in TN. My plan is to visit family about a week before I start at Springer- Springer is like 6 hrs south of my hometown. I'll be starting around the same time you are. Which in terms of hiking a day or two is like telling someone you'll be visiting NYC and maybe you'll run into each other...just thought I'd say hello- my trail name is 3mmi3 (Emmie).
    Happy trails to ya!

Ya'll may want to check out Damascus Days in mid May. It's a big shindig. It takes place in (obviously) Damascus, VA. You'll know you're there when you it smells like body odor, patchouli oil and beer. Enjoy your great adventure!

Sounds like a great project and I hope to see you along the hike (all of you!). I'm setting out April 1st NOBO. If anyone wants to meet up and hike the first few days together and see if we want to carry on, please be in touch I'm 35, somewhat in shape :P

++ New Posts ++