WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by White Shimmer View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. After putting on my snark filter for a couple of the responses, I got some perspective from the productive and thoughtful posts.

Sir rafe and King aj: I do not feel entitled- just musing about how I might get what I need out of the AT experience. Yes, even you two have these needs... whatever they may be. If you knew me, you'd never label me as feeling 'entitled' to anything.
    Perhaps it's your manner of speaking, specifically about "my needs on the trail." Or about your confidence of doing 25-30 mpd, which bespeaks a bit of naivete.

ieOr maybe it's because I've had it up to the keister, of late, with folks complaining that the trail's just too darn crowded for their tastes. As if that were someone else's problem to address.

rafe,
    You seem like a very hardened person and I don't really understand the communication problem here. I never stated or intimated that it was someone else's problem. I am just thinking (out loud, sort of) about it and laying down my thoughts, as one might in a journal or a diary. I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake. I guess if you want to make it your business, well... that's somewhat strange and significantly overstepping your knowledge about me. I see an over-sensitivity here.

I agree with you that there are a lot of crowding threads here, but it is becoming an increasing problem- I am sure that you know the numbers.

I really do not like being forced to go toe-to-toe with people (it's not part of my psyche), so these are my last statements about your threadcrap derailment. I look forward to more productive exchanges with you, and others on the forum.

Enjoy your day
    There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
    Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

rafe,
    You seem like a very hardened person and I don't really understand the communication problem here. I never stated or intimated that it was someone else's problem. I am just thinking (out loud, sort of) about it and laying down my thoughts, as one might in a journal or a diary. I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake. I guess if you want to make it your business, well... that's somewhat strange and significantly overstepping your knowledge about me. I see an over-sensitivity here.

I agree with you that there are a lot of crowding threads here, but it is becoming an increasing problem- I am sure that you know the numbers.

I really do not like being forced to go toe-to-toe with people (it's not part of my psyche), so these are my last statements about your threadcrap derailment. I look forward to more productive exchanges with you, and others on the forum.

Enjoy your day
    Apparently "over crowding" is an issue you are dwelling on. The AT is typically not over populated outside of about 60 days when the bubble moves through a given area. Avoid the bubble, you'll avoid the "crowds", though sections of trail that lead to a feature or popular view will always have some traffic. I am on the AT in southern New England a lot throughout the year and find it rare to see people in any number (usually none at all) during most of the year. From Memorial day through late July the bubble comes through, but its easily avoided. Its either that or investigate other, less traveled pathways if your needs dictate.

Images

the overcrowding worry is much bigger here than on the trail. I just finished 7 days in the Adirondacks and saw no more than about a dozen people total in the peak of fall foliage. I have hiked over 2000 miles on the AT and have only seen one problem with overcrowding, stay away from the AT south of GSMNP during the spring and the dreaded crowds will not be found. By the time the thru hikers hit GSMNP it is reduced and spread out. Want to see fewer people, go with the flow, hike NoBo and you will see far fewer people than hiking SoBo for a given section through the bubble. The trail is what it is, it is for you to adapt. Good luck.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have hiked many days over long section hikes where I saw maybe 2 or 3 people tops in a day. And I've spent many nights in a shelter alone. Our answer was to do our hiking when the main group of thrus/sectioners/weekenders weren't - fall (anywhere but Maine), spring (anywhere but Georgia) and in the summer away from the bubble. Only twice have we hit the bubble and the first time we enjoyed the group we were with. The second time we were southbound and very glad of it.

Even in the middle of the summer when everyone comes out to play many sections of the trail simply aren't crowded at all. Timing and location is the key. I sympathize with your time constraints as an educator but you can still do much if not all of the trail with the two years of sections you have planned. If you choose your locations with the bubble in mind, I think you'll still have a pleasant experience based on your stated desires. Either way - good luck, happy hiking and get on out there and enjoy it!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

rafe,
    I am not sure why you need to comment on my mpd statement- 19/day was well within my capability when I went three weeks ago on 7-8hr days. This is commentary for inflammation's sake.
    Claiming you could easily do 25-30 mile days based on one trip, on one of the easiest sections of the AT, in nice weather, is dubious. Maybe you can do that kind of mileage occasionally, but can you do that consistently, everyday for months at a time? Not many can. Doing big miles like that takes a serious toll on the body before long, especially when your in your late 40's or early 50's as I suspect you are.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 2012

Not to change the subject, well, maybe to change the subject, in this or some other thread, Malto, please tell us about your adirondack trip!
    Lazarus

I'm wondering if Malto mis-spoke in his post (Msg. #24)? It seems to me a SOBO hike of the AT is bound to be more of a solitary experience than NOBO.

There will be a collision of SOBOs and NOBOs up in northern New England in July and August. But after that, I think a lot of SOBOs are going to find the trail pretty quiet.

NOBO out of Springer in March is bound to be a zoo, but that's hardly a new phenomenon. Either wave (ie. NOBO or SOBO) will be pretty well dispersed after the first month or two.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's already been said - if you find the AT overcrowded, don't be part of the crowd. If you really want solitude, go off-trail. Many states have public lands with no prohibitions on wilderness camping... grab a map & compass and hit the woods. You'll be very alone.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'm wondering if Malto mis-spoke in his post (Msg. #24)? It seems to me a SOBO hike of the AT is bound to be more of a solitary experience than NOBO.

There will be a collision of SOBOs and NOBOs up in northern New England in July and August. But after that, I think a lot of SOBOs are going to find the trail pretty quiet.

NOBO out of Springer in March is bound to be a zoo, but that's hardly a new phenomenon. Either wave (ie. NOBO or SOBO) will be pretty well dispersed after the first month or two.
    NOBO, you'll have more people to hike with. But you'll be solitary for longer periods (if that's how you want it) if you can nearly match speeds with the party ahead of you and the party behind you. I did one section hike of the NPT NOBO and saw nobody - but could see in the registers that I had four people half a day ahead of me for the three nights I was on trail.

SOBO, you'll meet more people, because the horde is coming the other way. At least until you're through the bubble.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

All I know is -- I was SOBO for nearly six weeks in summer/early fall of 2007, and was passed by exactly two SOBO thru hikers in that time. Aside from SNP around Labor Day, the trail was mostly deserted. I'd see a little uptick of activity on weekends, and see joggers and early morning walkers near the more accessible trailheads.

Perhaps I am just plain wrong about the crowding situation, save the usual locations at the usual times. But my post was really about the next few years, post-production, on three adventuring films.
    There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
    Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

Perhaps I am just plain wrong about the crowding situation, save the usual locations at the usual times. But my post was really about the next few years, post-production, on three adventuring films.
    Since TWITW movie was about old farts, maybe more of us will show up on the trail. Or maybe not. It could be seen as a cautionary tale. I kinda doubt the movie(s) will have all that much impact.

Usage has been steadily going up due to a number of reasons. There are more retirees now that they have the time and money to tackle the trail, there are a lot of Vets "walking off the war" and of course the collage kids who have always been a major component of the hiker community. Youtube has probably had a bigger influence then the motion pictures, especially among the younger crowd. This site is no doubt a major contributor, along with lighter gear and more services along the trail, all of which makes the trek easier.

It's a lot different then the good old days of lugging a 40-45 pound frame pack while wearing 5 pound leather boots on a trail which was a lot rougher, having little or no idea what you'd find at the next town and wondering if you'd be welcome there or not. (and there were towns in the south were you weren't). Hiking through North Carolina/Tennessee was a lot like being in a Third world nation not all that long ago. It was kinda fun though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm the same age as the original poster (54) and graduated from high school in 1979. I've often said that I regretted not backpacking the AT when I was young, so I know where he's coming from. (I have, however, now done 425 miles of section hiking since 2007 with my two sons, so I'm scratching that old itch.)

Get a copy of David Brill's As Far as the Eye can See. It's the best AT backpacking book I've read. He did his through hike in 1979, so the era is just right.

Regarding crowds, that's not really an issue. I've done nearly all of my AT section hiking in the South in late summer and early autumn. We usually see a few hikers (and sometimes alot at favorite places like Max Patch), but we've also had shelters to ourselves and not encountered another hiker all day. For example, on five-day trip in Tenn./NC two months ago, we had Clyde Smith and Mountaineer shelters to ourselves, while Overmountain shelter had quite a few present.

I don't think A Walk in the Woods is going to have a big impact on the AT.

About long days. I'm in decent though not top shape and did 18-mile days on that recent trip in the Roan Highlands section, which is fairly tough. If I backpacked for several weeks and got real trail legs, I think I could manage an occasional 25 mile day at my age, especially in less steep terrain. But it's nearly impossible to average high miles at the start of a section hike. Weather and terrain will impact your pace and if you push too hard you'll likely end up with blisters or overly tired. Most fit folks in their 50s can comfortably start out averaging 10 to 15 miles a day in the mountains in summertime, occasionally more.

Planning a long section hike on the assumption you can do 25-30 mile days (or 15-20 mile days in the mountains), and then pushing yourself to try to keep to that schedule, is a sure way to make yourself miserable or end your hike early.

Take hysteria over the trail being "ruined" by movies with a truckload of salt. Wild was supposed to have "ruined" the PCT this year. Nothing could be further from the truth. The same is likely the case for the AT publicity. Over 900 miles on the PCT starting in the peak of the bubble at the Mexican border I only felt that it was "crowded" a few times and all of those times were not actually on the trail but in town or trail angel locations.

I had the same concerns when I started my thru- (and got the same kind of replies when I asked about it here) I thought I wanted solitude , and actually, I got plenty of it. But- once you thru hike, I think you know the truth about the trail, and the truth is that the people ARE the trail. The serious hikers, the naturalists, the yellow blazing party seekers, the occasional homeless hiker, the cliche mid life crisis hikers (thats me), the stressed out, the super zen, and the trail-ebrities, like Miss Janet and Baltimore Jack, Pirate and Wolf -it's a people stew and it is mighty tasty. I miss it so much. I miss letting down all of my guards and suspending my pompous judgements and accepting each person I meet as a kindred spirit. I miss the complete unquestioning acceptance. Don't worry though , there is A LOT of alone time, and a lot of lonely time too.

yo White Shimmer: I hear your feelings and understand COMPLETELY. Ignore the snarky B.S. from some here, it comes with the territory. If you hike long enough, you will meet some hikers on the AT that like to use their "Moses" voice to lecture others from their AT-Moral-Highground. I belong to my local Florida Trail Chapter, and spend time out working on the FT, and if I want to bitch about the AT when I'm up there, I'll bitch about the AT. When I was in the Army, us G.I.'s knew a happy G.I. is bitchin' about something.

Roll with it, use ear plugs as needed. But Tipi Walter's advice is good advice, try getting out in the winter, or hittin' trails he knows in areas off the beaten path.

I've hiked that HF to Waynesboro section you mentioned before, and loved it, and all I can say is you were in the Shenandoah Nat. Park and that section does tend to be busier with day hikers and section hikers most of the year. Yep, with more movies and books about the trail, there will be more rush to the outdoors from those wishing to escape their metal coffins stuck on the big city freeway rush hours. March-May from Springer to Damascus is the AT NoBo highway rush hour.

After you get out on the AT enough in different seasons and months, you'll get an idea where and when to go to avoid the mob(s). Staying away from shelters will also help you avoid the traffic. You're lucky you got to do that hike with your sons. I missed that experience with my kid, he's grown up with family and kids now and can't ever go hiking.

have fun hiking!

Thank you everyone for the responses. After putting on my snark filter for a couple of the responses, I got some perspective from the productive and thoughtful posts.

Sir rafe and King aj: I do not feel entitled- just musing about how I might get what I need out of the AT experience. Yes, even you two have these needs... whatever they may be. If you knew me, you'd never label me as feeling 'entitled' to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    yo White Shimmer: I hear your feelings and understand COMPLETELY. Ignore the snarky B.S. from some here, it comes with the territory. If you hike long enough, you will meet some hikers on the AT that like to use their "Moses" voice to lecture others from their AT-Moral-Highground. I belong to my local Florida Trail Chapter, and spend time out working on the FT, and if I want to bitch about the AT when I'm up there, I'll bitch about the AT. When I was in the Army, us G.I.'s knew a happy G.I. is bitchin' about something.

Roll with it, use ear plugs as needed. But Tipi Walter's advice is good advice, try getting out in the winter, or hittin' trails he knows in areas off the beaten path.

I've hiked that HF to Waynesboro section you mentioned before, and loved it, and all I can say is you were in the Shenandoah Nat. Park and that section does tend to be busier with day hikers and section hikers most of the year. Yep, with more movies and books about the trail, there will be more rush to the outdoors from those wishing to escape their metal coffins stuck on the big city freeway rush hours. March-May from Springer to Damascus is the AT NoBo highway rush hour.

After you get out on the AT enough in different seasons and months, you'll get an idea where and when to go to avoid the mob(s). Staying away from shelters will also help you avoid the traffic. You're lucky you got to do that hike with your sons. I missed that experience with my kid, he's grown up with family and kids now and can't ever go hiking.

have fun hiking!
    Yup I agree, just go hiking, all that other crap matters not, I missed a lot chasing the all mighty dollar...never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpsD0ZDfus

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are worried about over-crowding on the AT just hike at times that are less popular. I began my first on Feb 18 and found oodles of solitude.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    If you are worried about over-crowding on the AT just hike at times that are less popular. I began my first on Feb 18 and found oodles of solitude.

I went for a 75 mile walk a few weeks ago. I camped at shelter areas several nights since they were uncrowded and water was really only able to be counted to be found at the shelters, at least before rain started. Was alone every night but one. That shelter had 1 sobo, and 3 other people. I camped about 100yds from it. Passed 1/2 dozen SOBOs per day some day, a few section hikers around weekend, went about 30 hrs + at one point without seeing another person too. Rainy days are great days to be on the trail, many thruhikers hold up in town, sectioners stay home, etc. The views just suck.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-01-2015 at 16:02.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++