WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice for DIY Inflation Check Valve

I am very happy with the Thermarest Neoair XLite, but even with using their pump sack, I can't easily fill it all the way, because I end out letting a bunch of the air out while trying to close the valve. I'd like to put some kind of lightweight check valve on the end of the pump sack that will prevent this air loss.

Ideally, I'd like to find something at a local hardware store that will do the job. I've briefly researched fish tank check valves, but I think that these would be so small that they would cause too much resistance/back pressure. A quick glance at Home Depot's web site shows things that look very big and heavy, but I will do some additional "checking" to see if there is anything that looks like it can work, when I make my next trip there.

As an added note, I am thinking about getting an Exped Schnozzel pump bag and their Air Pillow UL, so I would end out making an adapter (I've seen a few DIY options online) that will connect to the Thermarest valve. I add this, just in case this inspires your idea for my fix.

I am not such a great DIYer, but I know that a lot of you are. Any ideas?

I open the valve on my Xtherm about a quarter turn. When the sack is compressed all the way, I close the valve. Little or no air lost.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Exped UL Pillow doesn't have the inflation check valve. It doesn't have the deflation valve.
    The Exped Air Pillow (red) has 2 valves and the very useful inflation valve + check valve. All of which makes the Air Pillow easy to use and a pleasure to sleep on. YMMV.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

The Exped UL Pillow doesn't have the inflation check valve. It doesn't have the deflation valve.
    The Exped Air Pillow (red) has 2 valves and the very useful inflation valve + check valve. All of which makes the Air Pillow easy to use and a pleasure to sleep on. YMMV.

Wayne

I just use my wet tongue, reach in there with fingers and turn it while tongue lays flat across valve. I loose a little air but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Something doesn't add up here. I understand that there is only one valve. However, my understanding is that there is a green flap valve under the outside cap, which, during the fill process, only lets air go into the pillow while also preventing it from coming out. Similarly, after filling and closing the cap cover, if you open the cap cover, air doesn't just come out. In order to deflate, you insert the provided deflation pin into that green valve, which partially dislodges the valve, and this is what allows air to escape. Alternatively, you can dislodge the valve by pulling it from its seated position, and this also allows the air to escape. I just watched the video on their web site, and this is exactly what it shows, though it does not show this while using the pump sack.

I've never used the Schnozzel bag, but it would seem that I should be able to use this pump sack to, for example, partially inflate and, should I need to refill the bag a second or subsequent times, the air won't leave the pillow during this time. Since this would seem to be the case, I am also deducing that when I have the pillow filled, I can remove the pump sack, and I can calmly close the valve without the air rushing out, partially deflating the pillow. Am I wrong about that?

With my XLite, once I fully fill it with the pump sack, the pressure of air trying to escape is such that I have to be super careful about making sure to block the valve while also trying to keep the bag squeezed and while also turning the valve to close it. Often, this allows enough air to escape that I end out having to try again, sometimes more than once or twice. I am actually able to get the pad inflated to where I would like it, but the issue is that air often manages to escape during the valve closure process. Trying to have the valve nearly closed creates so much resistance that I lose a lot of air around the seal between the pump sack and the valve, so I have to leave it open more than just a quarter turn.

What I am trying to do is to create a one way valve in the adapter that will go from the Schnozzel Pump Sack into the XLite, so that I can just turn the valve shut without having to worry about blocking the air from escaping while also trying to keep the bag squeezed.
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 10-04-2015 at 02:15.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm usually needing to pressurize my NeoAir by mouth after getting the bulk of 5he air in via a blowup bag. So I simply pull the bag off, start final inflation by mouth as I start closing the valve.

Vegan Packer,
    You need to verify with Exped or find the UL Pillow at a dealer and verify the single valve arrangement.
    I purchased the red, 2 valve pillow for a variety of reasons over the UL pillow. That was the right choice for me. YMMV.

Wayne

Go to about 2:30 to see what I am talking about, regarding the Air Pillow UL.

I am going to chance ordering it from REI, and then I'll just return it if unhappy.
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 10-04-2015 at 20:31.

Don't overinflate it. Use the check valve to bleed out small amounts of air to get it just right. I'm a side sleeper, but find the low side best for my needs. I spent 2 straight months on my Xtherm and Exped pillow on the floor next to my bed. I actually prefer that combination to my bed.
    Hope it works for you.

Wayne

The pillow arrived, and so did the Schnozzel pump sack. The pillow cover came after, and I haven't tried the pillow with that yet. The pillow certainly isn't as comfortable as my Thermarest compressible pillow, which I loved, but which was heavy. Draining some of the air did make it better, but it also made it thinner.

On the other hand, filling, even completely filling, with the Schnozzel Pump Sack worked exactly as I expected, without any leakage when the bag was opened at the intake side. After filling, I was able to take my time closing the valve cover, since there was nothing leaking out. Draining was also a snap.

Since I got everything from REI, I got a $20 coupon that I am going to use to give a try with the Exped Hyperlite mattress in the Medium Wide size. If it is close enough in comfort to my XLite, which I love, the ease of filling plus the wide size in a 72 inch length and reduced weight will make it tempting to make the switch.

Did you try both sides, thick and thin? It took me a couple nights to dial in the air pressure and which height worked best for me. It is the best pillow I own including several very nice 700 fill power down pillows.
    Hope it works as well for you.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Did you try both sides, thick and thin? It took me a couple nights to dial in the air pressure and which height worked best for me. It is the best pillow I own including several very nice 700 fill power down pillows.
    Hope it works as well for you.

Wayne

I did try it on both sides, but I didn't give it a full and fair test yet. First, since my pillow cover hadn't yet arrived, I only briefly tested it without the cover. I didn't intentionally take any points off for the plastic feel, but one can't help but be influenced by things like that, despite trying to ignore them. I also assume that the cover will dull the noise of the plastic, at least somewhat.

On the other hand, the size, when inflated, was good. It wasn't too small, which is why I opted for the medium instead of the small.

Honestly, it was no more than a few minutes of trying it out. I'll give it a fuller test, maybe even this weekend. I think it will be no worse than satisfactory, and playing around with the inflation until I find the Goldilocks balance will likely make it pretty good. It still does have that bouncy pool float feel to it, but I suspect that it will do the job, especially considering the weight reduction, and that I will get used to the different feel of it.

++ New Posts ++