WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nah. Remember the addage hike your own hike. A hiker wants what a hiker wants.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Football anonymous sounds right. Admit you have a problem, lol! We can definitely have other passions besides hiking. When I
    am hiking I usually forget about everything else until I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I suppose the same could be said about hangin out online.
    I only "appear" to hang out online when I am home. I do things that need to be done, tyoe notes, write and use pc/online to communicate with all that I know. One thing I don't do is take electronics with me except a camera and tunes--pocket digital and Zune.

Images

I'm a HS football coach and football junkie. It is tough for me to hike on weekends in the fall until my season is over. My routine now is to go Sunday mornings since we don't go to church. I usually make it home in time for the early game but only if my Steelers are on! When I have a bye I try to go backpacking if the weather is good. Or not. DVR's are great for me. Hike on and watch it later in the off season!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I only "appear" to hang out online when I am home. I do things that need to be done, tyoe notes, write and use pc/online to communicate with all that I know. One thing I don't do is take electronics with me except a camera and tunes--pocket digital and Zune.
    Yup, me too.

...walks during football season are directly proportional to how well my team is doing.

I'm kinda surprised by the number of people here who care nothing for football. I certainly understand how someone could put more emphasis on getting out and enjoying a nice day over watching TV, but pretty much every guy I know around here has some interest in football.

Oh, and I really like football, especially college (Go Gators), but I miss quite a few games early in the season to paddle, hike and camp.

Quote Originally Posted by cycle003 View Post
    I'm kinda surprised by the number of people here who care nothing for football. I certainly understand how someone could put more emphasis on getting out and enjoying a nice day over watching TV, but pretty much every guy I know around here has some interest in football.
    I've never watched a pro football game from beginning to end. I think in high school I may have witnessed a game or two. It all seems the height of foolishness, to me. And I hear tell my "home team" are really something, but I could care less. I don't get the fascination with pro and competitive sports.

Competitive sporting events have been around since the beginning of recorded history. Romans had the coliseum and games (Olympic wrestling) the Mayans had a form of soccer (football with a gum rubber composition) and the Tarahumara had running...Competition is nothing new to man, it's part of our make-up and spirit, don't give that away.

Religion is as old as human history too, that doesn't make it rational.

It's taken me decades to realize that both college and pro football in large part supports a huge American gambling addiction---56 million Americans alone gamble on fantasy football.

Football? What's football?
    There's no such thing as cold weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Images

You can do both. I hiked the Baxter Park AT and got home in time to watch 3 quarters of the Patriots & Cowboys game yesterday. I did it by being at the gate at 6am and finishing by noon. HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by wormer View Post
    You can do both. I hiked the Baxter Park AT and got home in time to watch 3 quarters of the Patriots & Cowboys game yesterday. I did it by being at the gate at 6am and finishing by noon. HYOH
    This is one of the saddest posts I ever read.

Images

The NFL has become Flag football anyway who cares.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's taken me decades to realize that both college and pro football in large part supports a huge American gambling addiction---56 million Americans alone gamble on fantasy football.
    I dind't realize until recently (like this year) that fantasy football was something people gambled on. I just thought it was like Dungeons and Dragons for people that couldn't keep up with a bag of dice.

I'm not against competitive sports, they just don't hold much thrill for me in general, except for the winter olympics. I love watching the skiers and the sled/luge people. Sliding down an icy chute at 80mph seems pretty thrilling to me, or skiing down the side of a mountain faster than I drive my car on I-20. And of course there's the spectacular wipeouts.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by wormer View Post
    I recall a line from A Walk in the Woods (the book, not the movie) -- something like, "One does not walk the Appalachian Trail and come home and mow the lawn."

Stay home watch the game= less hikers.Yes this is a good idea.

This Pats fan is worried for the first time this year. Jets have a much improved team. Their biggest asset is that they got rid of Rex. Buffalo is enjoying his skill set now. Should be a good game. Hopefully Revis takes LaFell and that opens up the slot. Hopefully we can slow the run.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

No problem at all for me. I have refused to give any of my time or money to the over paid, mentally adolescent boys who play professional sports for a couple of decades now. Spectator sports play zero role in my planning of anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++