WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nearest camping to Rockfish Gap

Next week, I'm planning to take Amtrak to Staunton, and the local bus to Waynesboro. From there I'll hitch to Rockfish Gap where I'm hiking NOBO through SNP. I should be in Waynesboro at 4:30 based on the bus schedule so I won't have much daylight once I get up to the trail. Although I've hiked this section before I cannot recall whether the terrain on the first few miles north is suitable for camping. I know that the trail corridor is pretty narrow and it is dry but I can haul water in to dry camp. If there are no decent sites near the gap I might choose to stay in Waynesboro for the night and start the next morning but I'd prefer to get on the trail right away.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Next week, I'm planning to take Amtrak to Staunton, and the local bus to Waynesboro. From there I'll hitch to Rockfish Gap where I'm hiking NOBO through SNP. I should be in Waynesboro at 4:30 based on the bus schedule so I won't have much daylight once I get up to the trail. Although I've hiked this section before I cannot recall whether the terrain on the first few miles north is suitable for camping. I know that the trail corridor is pretty narrow and it is dry but I can haul water in to dry camp. If there are no decent sites near the gap I might choose to stay in Waynesboro for the night and start the next morning but I'd prefer to get on the trail right away.
    HI - I usually pitch my tent at the ALDHA site for hikers, right at the end of 14th St. Picnic pavilion, charging station - just down the road from the Y, showers and laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
    HI - I usually pitch my tent at the ALDHA site for hikers, right at the end of 14th St. Picnic pavilion, charging station - just down the road from the Y, showers and laundry.
    Is that in Waynesboro? Sounds like a good option if I decide to start the next morning.

Looking at my National Geographic topo I see a few possibilities a mile north of Rockfish gap but I think it would be "stealth" camping as there is nothing but the AT corridor that seems to be public lands. Oh well maybe a good opportunity to kick back and check out Waynesboro before heading out in the morning...

Images

Is that in Waynesboro? Sounds like a good option if I decide to start the next morning.
    Yes, in Waynesboro. As mentioned, the YMCA is a couple of blocks away for showers though you may not be interested...

If you're heading south from there, the next shelter southbound is an easy walk and is pretty nice.

I remember the last few miles to Waynesboro as being a bit of a rough trail. I would not recommend trying, especially trying to find a place in the failing light or dark. Much better to spend the night in town, either at a motel or the YMCA grounds. And you can call a Trail Angle to take you up to the trail which will be a lot easier then trying to hitch.

Or you could camp in one of the bombed out rooms of the abandoned motel at the gap...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I remember the last few miles to Waynesboro as being a bit of a rough trail. I would not recommend trying, especially trying to find a place in the failing light or dark. Much better to spend the night in town, either at a motel or the YMCA grounds. And you can call a Trail Angle to take you up to the trail which will be a lot easier then trying to hitch.

Or you could camp in one of the bombed out rooms of the abandoned motel at the gap...
    or pay to stay at the bombed out hotel thats still business. which is probably what i would do, mildly unpleasant as it is, its the most feasible solution to getting on the trail first thing in the AM.

and i'll backup the part about the trail north of there. you arent really in what feels even remotely like a national park (or a national or state anything) for quite a ways. the first maybe even 10 miles of the park are an abysmal place to rival the peter's mountain section of PA.

I've got it sorted out now: greyhound to Cville and Uber to Rockfish Gap will get me on trail early enough to easily reach Calf Mountain on the first day. Didn't realize Uber was active in Cville or I would have thought of it right away.

I've read many accounts of the first several miles NOBO from Rockfish Gap being less than pleasant but I don't have particularly bad memories of the area from my previous hike. I'm hoping for good weather and foliage!

I did that same hike last fall. Rode the Greyhound to Charlottesville, got a shuttle to the Gap. Arrived to the Gap early afternoon, had time to grab a hotdog and drink at the Kettle Corn stand, then start hiking the AT from Rockfish Gap to Calf Mountain Shelter, made it to the shelter well before dark.

Images

There's great stealth site between McCormick Gap and Beagle Gap. It will be on the east side of the trail just past the radio towers (and the semi-circle of tractor seats). The spot is still pretty much on top of the mountain with great views of the valley. There's a little trail that leads to the bald area.

Images

When I say just past the radio towers I am talking just north.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    When I say just past the radio towers I am talking just north.
    i dunno about anyone else, but i always want to camp just past the power lines by the ring of old tractor seats.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i dunno about anyone else, but i always want to camp just past the power lines by the ring of old tractor seats.
    You obviously have no idea of the spot I am talking about. You're just what the OP askef for- smart azz comments.

Images

You obviously have no idea of the spot I am talking about. You're just what the OP askef for- smart azz comments.
    youre right, i dont, truly. but tractor seats and a power line about matches my memory of that area.

There's great stealth site between McCormick Gap and Beagle Gap. It will be on the east side of the trail just past the radio towers (and the semi-circle of tractor seats). The spot is still pretty much on top of the mountain with great views of the valley. There's a little trail that leads to the bald area.
    Thanks I'll check it out. Might be too soon to camp but sounds like a nice view. The tractor seats make that area unique!

What day are you going to be in Staunton? I live in Staunton and might be able to give you a ride to either the tent site of the Grace Lutheran church hostel

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Thanks Damn Yankee. I've changed my plan so that I'm now going to Charlottesville via greyhound and then most likely taking Uber to the trail. That should get me on trail with ample time to reach Calf Mountain or possibly a few miles further for my first night.

Thanks Damn Yankee. I've changed my plan so that I'm now going to Charlottesville via greyhound and then most likely taking Uber to the trail. That should get me on trail with ample time to reach Calf Mountain or possibly a few miles further for my first night.
    thats a plan! there's also a lot of good places in downtown Charlottesville near the Greyhound station to kill some time, catch some food too.

have a great hike

++ New Posts ++