WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you are a LD hiker AND wear boots.....

which brand do you find gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of mileage? I have been a huge fan of Asolo for years but they have (sadly) discontinued my favorite model. So now I am open for discussion/input. If you don't like or wear boots, that's great...but no need to reply to this.

Vasque Sundowners were my favorite. do they still make them?

I just bought a pair of Lowa. I have wide feet, so the selection is slim. They are Nubick Leather. I tried on Keen and Vasque and the Lowa felt like moccasins. They feel broken in already. I'm taking them on a test run next week. I'll have my Vasque Trail Runners as backup, just in case. I'll report back.

Journal Entries
    Images

I’m only a boot wearing deadender novice but I like my Lowa Renegades, goretex and all.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

I’m only a boot wearing deadender novice but I like my Lowa Renegades, goretex and all.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Vasque Sundowners were my favorite. do they still make them?
    I think they were off the market for awhile but, I think I read they will be coming back this fall. My last pair of Sundowners lasted nearly 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post

Ok..I don't keep up with the all the jargon. WTH is a deadender?

Above tree line or in thick northern woods off trail mostly bush wacking backpacking in late fall/early spring in mixed abrasive conditions where I want ankle protection(NOT so much support) and the goal isn't going my most fast and light doing longer durations between resupplies(heavier loads) and knowing a serious injury to my feet or legs in remote backcountry environments could prove disastrous as a solo LD hiker I will still consider Keen Targhee II and Keen Voyaguer mid cuts. Deep winter hikes the insulated boots come out too. For $110-120 I've gotten every dollars worth from these Keen mid cuts.

Default If you are a LD hiker AND wear boots.....

I wore a pair of Lowa Scouts for years and put a few thousand miles on them.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

I wear Asolo TPS 520's. They are excellent boots with only 1 flaw - there is a seam in the inside liner right at the heel. I have to cover this with a frictionless pad or it rubs my heels raw during multi-day hikes.

I don't know that I can yet be called a LD hiker, but here goes. I am currently liking a out of production New Balance 701MCO that were designed for the military. I also have a pair of US made Allegiance Footwear boots. Technically the AF boots are work boots but they work well for me as hikers.

When I look for footwear I typically search "US made hiking boot" or "special ops footwear"

If you will be in high top leather boots, the Asolo 520s routinely get me 1800 miles before the soles start to lose their grip. I typically retire the boots when their grip is compromised but they still have a good 300 miles in them given the thickness of the material. I am sure there are equal performers out there, but that likely puts you into the upper tier of mountaineering boots above the $500 mark, with some exceptions.

Images

Timberland Chocorua – green and brown. I have 3 pair and rotate through the 2 newest for work and hikes. I’m planning to buy one more pair for 2016. They are waterproof. I HATE cold, wet feet. For ME, they have fit well right out of the box. With my plantar fasciitis, my boots give me NO pain at all.

Well-fitting 13 wide boots are hard to find.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._gw_p309_d0_i1

Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    Ok..I don't keep up with the all the jargon. WTH is a deadender?
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...adender+novice

reply #15 and following
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Lowa Men's Renegade GTX Mid is a nice compromise between running shoes and boots. They are tall enough to keep crud out of your shoes and to provide some ankle protection. They are light enough that I can dog-trot along an easy section of trail if I'm in a hurry. Little to no break-in required. REI says they can re-sole them.

I've recently switched to Vasque Breeze GTX. Years ago I did the NY-NJ-eastern PA section in the original Vasque Breeze (non-Goretex) and they were quite comfortable, but wet.

Heavier than New Balance 659 trail runners (~21 oz. vs. 13 oz.) but still nowhere as bad as most old-school leather boots.

I can't really report on the water-proofness. Traction is very good, a noticeable improvement over trail runners. They have a nice old fashioned Vibram lug sole.

DH wears the Lowa Renegades year around. I wear them in the winter. As said above, very easy break-in. They don't always last that long though.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I think they were off the market for awhile but, I think I read they will be coming back this fall. My last pair of Sundowners lasted nearly 15 years
    My last TWO pairs lasted maybe thirty days. Total.
    They were my favorite boot, and I wore three pairs out. All were almost smooth soled before they were replaced. All were made in Italy. Then, as seems to be SOP for just about every maker of quality "stuff" in the world, they started making them in China. When the first pair from China cracked through the sole at the ball of the foot I chalked it off as a fluke. When the second pair did it I realized that they were no longer worth owning at any price. The salesman at the store tried telling me that it was somehow MY fault. It was a long time before I was willing to even consider a Vasque product.
    Nowadays, I'm more of a Merrell fan.

Images

I can only really supply reverse-information for this subject, meaning boots with lousy wear: Merrells, the chameleon model. They just plain don't last. Still, I wear them almost exclusively because they work so well (other than wear!) for me. The soles do seem to last, it's the stitching that seems to tear out after maybe 400-500 miles. I think I did get 600 miles out of one pair, but it was a close thing. My wife and I get a pro-deal on Merrells (40% off), so another reason we don't care so much on the wear thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post

thanks for the link...still don't know if I am a deadender or not. I guess if you have to ask, you probably don't get it.

to the others, thanks for the replies. the most miles I ever got out of a pair was 900 miles. Several brands, some mentioned here only last 300-400 miles. At the cost, i certainly need to get 600 or so miles out of a pair. Actually, the Asolos are still good at 900 miles in terms of tread and stitching, it is the Gore tex (and water proof abilities) that degrade first. i am a wimp, I hate getting my feet wet by simply walking through a heavy dew in the early morning.

hope to see all you deadenders out on the trail..i am hoping to do a long winter trip this year sometime around Christmas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++