WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Down Jackets

Journal Entries

Default Down Jackets

I'm in the market for a new packable down jacket. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quality jacket?

Interested myself. Although, I just picked up an REI CO-OP which seems to get decent reviews. And it's on sale right now for $99.

The most important component of finding a down jacket is knowing the amount of ounces of actual down in the jacket, and the quality of the fill, i.e. 800 fill, 850 fill etc.

If you find a down jacket online and they don't list the amount of down inside the jacket, BEWARE of that product.

Which takes us to Puffies vs Regular Jackets. Puffy jackets are all the rage now, but once again, find out how many ounces of down are inside the puffy. How they sew the baffles and what it looks like is of minor concern when compared to the amt of down inside.

I've had good luck with Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends down garments. The WM Flight jacket is nice to take the edge off, and the FF Icefall parka is my go-to winter survival layer when temps hit 10F or 0F or -10F.

Here's my backpacking buddy in his green down puffy made by Patagonia I think. It was a butt cold morning at 5,300 feet. Check out his outstanding Mt Hardwear Nilas down mitts.

When things get crazy, I prefer a beefier choice---ergo the Feathered Friends Icefall parka---the down hood makes all the difference.

Images

All depends on what temp range you're looking for.... for "warmer cold" (let's say, right around freezing for a low), I sure like Mont Bell jackets (800+ fill); I actually own three of them, the "ultralight down sweater", the "ultralight down parka" (has a hood) and the Thermawrap (synthetic). The thermawrap is very versatile for actually hiking in as you body sweat won't affect the insulation much, whereas when hiking in down you have to be very careful to not wet-out the down.

For mid-temps, I like Western mountaineering flight jacket, as Tipi says, but the Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket is a great lightweight jacket as well, plenty of warmth at about 16 ounces. This is the jacket I generally carry in mid-winter in Colorado for all day hikes and some overnighters.

For the really, really cold stuff.... it doesn't get much better than the Marmot 8000 meter jacket! We call it "instant July".

http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-8000-meter-parka.php

I've slept in a bivy in mid-winter on top of a 14,000 peak in Colorado in one of these staying completely warm. We also carry these jackets on our really big mountain climbs. A tad over 3 pounds.

As Tipi says, only get rated down, 700 and better, preferably 800+ (for weight savings).

The REI is 650. That said, I'm not considering this my "winter" jacket, per se' and I'm GA.

I have been looking at the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. It's really expensive at $320 but very light at 8 oz with 800 fill insulation. Don't know how warm it is or how durable but it looks nice!

Journal Entries

Most of my trips are in the Smokies and Pisgah Nat'l. I normally don't venture out in the colder months but this year I'm going to try turning over a new leaf. We are heading to Gregory Bald in early December and from what I'm told the temps can range between 20-30 degrees at night. I don't foresee needing a jacket to hike in for long periods of time, but mainly to wear while in camp at night/early morning.

Images

Check late winter sales at REI.com, EMS.com and MEC.ca As TipiWalter says Feathered Friends makes great stuff. The lighter down jackets are nice for warmer temps IF THE WEATHER IS NOT WET. When it's wet down is not good; wet down has little insulation. For the wet, synthetics are better (fleece or synthetic puffy insulation). For very cold conditions, the FF Icefall that Tipi shows or the Marmot 8000m are great. You'll rarely get to wear these while hiking because they'll be too warm, but they sure are nice at night or when you stop to rest.

I got an EMS down parka on sale in late winter two years ago (say 3/4 the loft of the Icefall or 8000m). Last winter I really didn't use it at all; at 0F it was too warm for my day hikes. I do carry it in really cold weather to keep me warm if I break a leg at 0F or colder.

Uniqlo ultralight down parka (inexpensive). It serves me great in the PA winters. With a mid-weight pullover under, it keeps me toasty.

Patagonia Down Sweater. 800 fill down, very warm, and they pack small. Shop carefully and you can get them more reasonably priced.

Montbell 850 fill UL Down jacket 8.3 oz can be found for just over $100. Uniqlo is the lowest price but not the cheapest quality and was my second choice. I like the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer but find it hard to spend over $150 on an item that is used only at camp, at risk of embers, and has other durability issues and may be too bulky to pack, although anything under 12oz is light weight for a Jacket.

One thing often not mentioned is whether a hood is needed or not. Remember to look at your overall gear list. I did not go with a Parka because I wanted a seperate Down hat to sleep in. I hammock so my TQ is without a mummy head covering. So that hat provides two purposes in camp versus being locked into a hood attached to the jacket. May or may not be an issue but worth considering in your decision.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

If you where a men's large I've got one for sale, it's a Golite Cumulus down jscket, 800 fill, 14 oz. $60

I have the Patagonia Down Sweater and love it - wear it ALL the time, but I don't view this as a FRIGID COLD weather down jacket. It is perfect for a wide range of temps, but not would I would classify as a sub zero garment. I wore it as a layer on a -12 trip, but I was either moving or in my tent hunkered down. If I'd stayed out in it I think I would have been cold.

For truly cold temps I bought this Rab and it was a steal at this price.
    http://www.steepandcheap.com/rab-neu...t-mens-rab0040

I have always found down jackets too hot, one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORINOX-C...item27fb1056ac

Actually I saw one at the local Goodwill and it fit but I have no use for them; down vests get me through the winter fine with occasional extra outer gear but never the heavy jackets.

This is what I use in the 20-30 temps. You can find it online onsale many plpaces if you do some quick searches. I paid $119 2 years ago.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...01176&gen_cd=1

Journal Entries

Check out the Rab stuff. Very high quality. Microlight Alpine Jacket has 750 FP, weighs 15 Oz., infinity Endurance Jacket is 850 FP Hydrophobic.Down and very warm and water resistant Pertex. Endurance outer shell. I have the previous generation of the Infinity and I can't wear it unless I'm standing around in the snow, it's so warm. Both of these jackets are hooded.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1 montbell ul down parka awesome piece....layer over cap4 hoody and OR helium 2 I'm good to above 0...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    If you where a men's large I've got one for sale, it's a Golite Cumulus down jscket, 800 fill, 14 oz. $60
    Thanks but that's going to be too big. Thanks for offering.

Journal Entries

With respect to the humidity levels on the east coast, would I be better off going with a synthetic jacket?

Knowing that I usually start sweating before I remove a layer, I'm starting to think a synthetic coat might be best. I don't worry with quilts and such since I know I'll be dry climbing into bed. It seems down for quilts/sleeping and synthetic for clothes might be a robust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++