WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Looks like Big Guy or Large Pack Hell

I have rock scrambled and climbed side hills up waterfalls but nothing that bad.
    As most know, there are three "crawl-under" areas where one has to shed their packs (maybe some could make these with pack-on), but all three also have a nice climb-over route which I used instead. My wife and I climb and canyoneer (very similar moves as the notch) extensively, so I found the notch an absolute blast and took right at 50 leisurely-pace minutes.

One "hazard" of the notch is dropping something down into one of the bottomless cracks! A guy I met right after the notch had dropped a trekking pole down into a crack and couldn't retrieve it. I see in the video the OP pitch his pole forward a couple times! Risky. Two minutes into the notch I stashed my poles in my pack.

The notch was my second favorite mile on the entire AT; the first being the final mile up Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

The notch was my second favorite mile on the entire AT; the first being the final mile up Katahdin.
    The Tablelands? Not really exciting.....

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Yeah, back in the day when real men carried cinder blocks in their packs, 'cuz otherwise it was just too damned easy. Kids these days, sheesh!
    Real men in the old days??
    How do you think all those boulders got there in the 1st place!!!
    Weannie cinder block packers.

I did it in a steady rain shower. Met up with two panic stricken women and spent some time helping them through it. I wondered if any more boulders could fall. It was fun.

Images

My fastest time through the notch is 35 minutes in good weather. It is not the hardest mile, but could be the most fun mile.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++