WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A method to stop an attacking bear.

While we don't read much about Bear attacks on the AT, and we don't have Grizzlies, here's an interesting article on a method this man used to stop a bear attack. Not sure if I could follow through with this, but nice to know he was able to stop the attack.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/hunt...=n-bear-hunter

Saw that on the news this morning, pretty incredible stuff. That's the kind of story I could hear from someone on the trail and think "no way did that really happen." In the extraordinarily unlikely event I ever find myself being eaten alive by a bear I'll try really hard to remember to jam my arm down its throat.

Sorry to be the doubting Thomas, but I recall other tales of this type showing up only to find out later they were fabricated, like the fellow who claimed he was attacked by a cougar and a passing bear fought off the animal and saved his life. That was on newscasts and in papers too. Whoopsie.

Though truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, I have serious doubts. A bear that can toss a 26 year old man by the leg any distance can certainly defend against an arm down the gullet, similarly to struggling prey. No claw marks, bite marks, or bruising on the forearms or other exposed areas from the claimed ordeal. The tale as told seems more than a bit improbable and after being taken in more than a few times, I remain from Missouri.

Add to that, when I see pop up or banner ads that say stuff like "Join the Movement to Neutralize the Liberal Media", or "Stop the Fanatic Religious Right", there are credibility issues that just can't be ignored with the publication, which associate with anything published in it.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a reliable strategy to me, but if desperate, I'd be willing to try anything.

FWIW,heard about the same procedure (arm down throat) by a man in Canada attacked in his lumber yard.This was within the last 3 months or so as I recall.

I'd definitely give it a try if I were about to get Treadwell-ed. Hopefully it won't get to that point.

++ New Posts ++