WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Favorite rectangular 4-season sleeping pad?

Has anyone tried both a NeoAir product such as the All Season or XTherm as well as an Exped Downmat, or any other rectangular pads with a decent insulation rating (4+), who can offer some insights into how they compare? Particularly cold weather experience...

I really wish Therm-a-Rest would just make a rectangular version of the Prolite Plus, with less notches taken out of the foam to have the higher R-value that the awkwardly-sized Women's version has, as I think that would be the perfect mat... I have not succeeded in finding any good self-inflating mattresses which are both warm and rectangular with a tolerable weight.

I love the Expeds. The downmat 7 has an r-value of 5.9.

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    Has anyone tried both a NeoAir product such as the All Season or XTherm as well as an Exped Downmat, or any other rectangular pads with a decent insulation rating (4+), who can offer some insights into how they compare? Particularly cold weather experience...

I really wish Therm-a-Rest would just make a rectangular version of the Prolite Plus, with less notches taken out of the foam to have the higher R-value that the awkwardly-sized Women's version has, as I think that would be the perfect mat... I have not succeeded in finding any good self-inflating mattresses which are both warm and rectangular with a tolerable weight.
    No comparison sorry. I have used an All Season the last two years and can tell you that it is both warm and comfortable. The $109 price tag didn't hurt either.

Also can't compare the two but I'll tell you that I absolutely love my Xtherm. To me the long length is totally worth the bit of extra weight for the 25" shoulders (I toss and turn a bit) and the comfort of having my entire 6' 2" self on a pad. Plus the fabric is quite a bit thicker and thus more durable than the Xlite, I believe it's a 70D bottom vs. 30D. I find it is most comfortable when slightly deflated, blown up tight it's a lot like sleeping on a trampoline. Self-inflating is a nice feature but I agree that it's a big weight hit for a pretty minor convenience.

Images

I use the All-Season Neo-Air. I bought the large and custom shortened it to get the wider width that matched my 5ft. 3in. height. Taking a scissors and an iron to a brand new pad is not for the faint of heart, but it saved me several ozs. and fits better in my tent. I blow it up with a big Agnes Pumpsack.

Love my xtherm,with a 19 degree bag I can lay the xtherm on ice or snow and not feel cold at all.

++ New Posts ++