Default Best 40+\~ mile section on Suwannee or Ocala area.

Never hiked on FT and live outside Jacksonville, would like to hike a few sections of the FT that are worth hiking near me....Ocala and Suwannee aren't too far. Obviously I'll wait till temps drop to go... I'd like to take my 9yr old son and jrt...both experienced on the AT.....I've paddled the Suwannee many times and hope to paddle the entire river on my sup this spring..never hiked at all here...any Recommendations appreciated.....thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some hiking on a few sections last fall. I was traveling there, from California, and using the Alltrails app to find hiking trails. It lists several sections of the fl. Trail. I had mixed results, as I noticed that sometimes the directions to the trailhead would get me close, but weren't exactly correct, so then I would have to check with locals. I really enjoyed those hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I did some hiking on a few sections last fall. I was traveling there, from California, and using the Alltrails app to find hiking trails. It lists several sections of the fl. Trail. I had mixed results, as I noticed that sometimes the directions to the trailhead would get me close, but weren't exactly correct, so then I would have to check with locals. I really enjoyed those hikes.
    After doing the JMT it is going to be tough to hike here!!! Cali was beautiful!!!

Android has a Florida trail app. You have to buy all the section separately, but it's a good app for water and distances. I live in the ocala area. I've done from Clearwater lake off 42 the south side of the ONF up to Pats island just past the yearling trail. Water and camping spots are fairly regular. The trail is well marked and traveled.
    I have also done the Saint Marks area in the panhandle. Not as much water available and some was brackish. The trail in this area was less than well marked. Some was more like walking down forest roads. Just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack:2010159
    After doing the JMT it is going to be tough to hike here!!! Cali was beautiful!!!
    Yes, there's lots of great hiking in Cal, for sure. Of course Fl is all flat, so that was different. Well, I remember it was last year at Thanksgiving Day and I was hiking a trail around Caravelle (sp?), after which I drove to Panama City. That was one of the most enjoyable, beautiful drives I can ever remember.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Yes, there's lots of great hiking in Cal, for sure. Of course Fl is all flat, so that was different. Well, I remember it was last year at Thanksgiving Day and I was hiking a trail around Caravelle (sp?), after which I drove to Panama City. That was one of the most enjoyable, beautiful drives I can ever remember.
    Assume u were on Hwy 98 along the coast

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Assume u were on Hwy 98 along the coast

That's right. I was trying to include a pic I took along the way, but couldn't get it to work. But what a beautiful place. I went thru a sleepy little town, Mexico Beach, I'd love to spend a week there. I think I also did some FL trail hiking around Daytona.

btw, just watched your JMT video, which was great.. Now I have to add that one to my list!

I would recommend Ocala NF. I've done the hike from Clearwater Lake to Rodman Dam (about 70 mile) 3 times. Nice easy hike for January or February. It would be easy to shorten by 30 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    I would recommend Ocala NF. I've done the hike from Clearwater Lake to Rodman Dam (about 70 mile) 3 times. Nice easy hike for January or February. It would be easy to shorten by 30 miles.
    Thx it's on the list for winter...thx

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=saltysack;2010074]Never hiked on FT and live outside Jacksonville, would like to hike a few sections of the FT that are worth hiking near me....Ocala and Suwannee aren't too far. Obviously I'll wait till temps drop to go... I'd like to take my 9yr old son and jrt...both experienced on the AT.....I've paddled the Suwanee many times and hope to paddle the entire river on my sup this spring..never hiked at all here...any Recommendations appreciated.....thx

Have you ever heard or researched the Office of Greenways and Trails or the Florida Trail Association?. Just thought that i would throw in a plug for then as i was a section leader and maintainer for over 10 years working closely with them. The trail crosses over interstate 75 on one of a kind Landbride just south of Ocala FL. There are options for a great 3 or 4 day hike and even continuing into the Ocala National Forest. I highly recommend this hiking trail and i know it is in good condition. Water maybe a slight problem but if you can cover the miles it should be no problem. You should check The Office of Greenways and Trails @ 352-236-7143 or the Florida Trail Association @ 877-445-3352 and ask for any updates or permits. Tell them Hikerbob sent you....

"JRT"= Jack Russell Terrier?
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Yep

++ New Posts ++