WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Extra shoulder padding...

I just bought a 6L bladder. Took it on a test run yesterday. I was concerned about the way I had it hooked on -- if it was going to be wobbling around, etc. It did fine, except of course weighed down the pack, so that it was really digging into my shoulders after a while. Does anyone out there have any experience with something to cushion this?
    Thanks

I have no experience with these but Zpacks has some add on shoulder pads:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/strap_pads.shtml

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

A few things.

Maybe you need a bigger or better-fitting pack? If you're pack fits well, the weight should be mostly on your hips, and the shoulder straps should almost float above your shoulders, with little or no weight there.

Also, it sounds like you attached your bladder to the back of the pack. The heaviest items should be closest to your back. If you add a lot of weight to the back of the pack (far from your back), it pulls the pack back and that pulls on your shoulder. Try it inside. Or, better yet, switch to 3 2-L bladders so that you can put a couple in your side pockets and one at the top of the pack, nearest your back. I wouldn't even think about using a huge bladder like that because if you're doing a long water carry and it leaks, you're screwed. With smaller bladders, if one leaks, you'll still have the others.

Quote Originally Posted by CenAZwalker:2010209
    I have no experience with these but Zpacks has some add on shoulder pads:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/strap_pads.shtml
    Thanks! That looks like what I'm looking for. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by burger:2010215
    A few things.

Maybe you need a bigger or better-fitting pack? If you're pack fits well, the weight should be mostly on your hips, and the shoulder straps should almost float above your shoulders, with little or no weight there.

Also, it sounds like you attached your bladder to the back of the pack. The heaviest items should be closest to your back. If you add a lot of weight to the back of the pack (far from your back), it pulls the pack back and that pulls on your shoulder. Try it inside. Or, better yet, switch to 3 2-L bladders so that you can put a couple in your side pockets and one at the top of the pack, nearest your back. I wouldn't even think about using a huge bladder like that because if you're doing a long water carry and it leaks, you're screwed. With smaller bladders, if one leaks, you'll still have the others.
    You made some good points. I don't like having the bladders inside the pack; I've had too many leaks with especially the camelbak 3l when it's inside. Then, by the time I get the pack off, get it opened up and everything out so I can access the bladder, a lot has leaked out, so it's back to the filter. Not to mention everything wet inside.
    So, I do put the bladder on the outside.
    I also find I like having the extra room that gives me inside.
    I haven't tried it, but I think the side pockets on my pack (hyperlight mountain gear 2400) are too tight for a bladder. But I do have a 1l Nalgene in one of them, for some backup. I plan to replace that with a larger one.
    I did consider 2 3ls. Camelbak has a 3l that comes in its own form-fitting backpack. So, I tried wearing that thing, piggybacked on with my main pack - by t it's too cumbersome...
    Btw, I don't plan to use this 6l all the time - just when I'm unsure about the water situation - or when I do know that the water availability will be a problem.

How do you keep your stuff dry in the rain?

I use a trash compactor bag to keep my stuff dry and when I had to carry my dirty water bag full (4L, carrying 6L total), I closed up the compactor bag as normal, and put the 4L bag laying flat right on top of that, so if it leaked, all that got wet was my backpack.

Have you considered using a different brand of bladder? I have heard a fair number of reports of Camelbaks leaking. The only way my Platypus Hoser is going to leak is if it gets punctured or otherwise ruptures beyond repair. It doesn't have an easy way to fill it, but that also means it doesn't have an easy way to leak. I have a quick disconnect in the hydration line, so to refill I disconnect the foot of hose with the bite valve, attach my dirty water bag and filter, and squeeze filtered water directly into the bladder without ever having to open my pack. Sometimes simplicity is valuable. As KidA24 suggests above, I do use a waterproof pack liner as well - the only thing not kept sealed in it is the water, so if it does end up ruptured, no big deal.

As for fitting bladders in alternative pockets - that depends on how much water you put into them. My wife has a child carrier that accommodates a 2L bladder in a pretty tight pocket. So they advertise. I imagine cramming a full 2L bladder in there would be a job that would get old fast. She uses a 3L bladder the same as mine though, and then filling via the same method I mentioned above, we can get 3L in there without any drama. Water is heavy though, especially if you are actually going to carry 6L - you want that weight as close to your body as possible.

Have you considered using a different brand of bladder? I have heard a fair number of reports of Camelbaks leaking. The only way my Platypus Hoser is going to leak is if it gets punctured or otherwise ruptures beyond repair. It doesn't have an easy way to fill it, but that also means it doesn't have an easy way to leak. I have a quick disconnect in the hydration line, so to refill I disconnect the foot of hose with the bite valve, attach my dirty water bag and filter, and squeeze filtered water directly into the bladder without ever having to open my pack. Sometimes simplicity is valuable. As KidA24 suggests above, I do use a waterproof pack liner as well - the only thing not kept sealed in it is the water, so if it does end up ruptured, no big deal.

As for fitting bladders in alternative pockets - that depends on how much water you put into them. My wife has a child carrier that accommodates a 2L bladder in a pretty tight pocket. So they advertise. I imagine cramming a full 2L bladder in there would be a job that would get old fast. She uses a 3L bladder the same as mine though, and then filling via the same method I mentioned above, we can get 3L in there without any drama. Water is heavy though, especially if you are actually going to carry 6L - you want that weight as close to your body as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post

Yes, when I first experienced problems with the 3l camelbak leaking inside the pack, I got a 2.5 l osprey, which worked fine at first. The 2nd time I hiked with it, it started leaking also -- while it was inside the pack, and it started leaking as soon as I started walking, but that was because I didn't have the top screwed on correctly. (Does anyone else have trouble getting the tops to these things screwed on right?)
    The 6L one is MSR. (This one has a lid like a regular screw top. Easy to get on and off). And if I can fill it from the tube, I might just rethink my idea of wanting it outside the pack. But so far, whenever I've had problems with leaks, it's always been when the bag was inside a completely crammed full pack.
    Re. side pockets -- Right now I have the shovel, tp, hand wipes in one side pocket, and tent poles and nalgene in the other. So, the side pockets are kinda spoken for.
    Question: The built-in pocket for the bladder, inside the pack, is sewn into the inside back of the pack -- in other words, farther away from your back. I guess, for really correct weight distribution, shouldn't it be right up against your back?
    I do still keep the 3L inside, if I'm hiking with a day-pack.

Looks like a good idea, thanks! I think my daughter suggested this also. But I ordered those things cenwalker suggested from zpacks -- look like those are made specifically for hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by KidA24 View Post
    How do you keep your stuff dry in the rain?

I use a trash compactor bag to keep my stuff dry and when I had to carry my dirty water bag full (4L, carrying 6L total), I closed up the compactor bag as normal, and put the 4L bag laying flat right on top of that, so if it leaked, all that got wet was my backpack.
    I know lots of folks use those trash bags for that purpose. I haven't yet. I may start. I just want to avoid the bag leaking, and so far I haven't had to deal with rain.

Burger had it right - your problem is your hip belt / weight distribution, not the shoulder straps. The force will still go somewhere - the new straps might not be digging into your skin, but perhaps you'll start getting back or neck aches.

I was wondering why the heck you'd want to carry 6L of water - that's like 12 pounds and a large volume - then I saw where your from Your going to have trouble no matter what with an internal frame pack. Personally, if I needed to carry that much water I'd use a frame pack with some kind of jig to hold plastic quart bottles. Maybe lash a plastic milk crate to the bottom of the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

ZPacks makes shoulder pads.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Burger had it right - your problem is your hip belt / weight distribution, not the shoulder straps. The force will still go somewhere - the new straps might not be digging into your skin, but perhaps you'll start getting back or neck aches.
    Yes, I agree. I know about the weight distribution. But again, this is a big 13+ pound bag of water and I don't want to carry it inside the pack, so I have no way around this problem that I can think of. Someone mentioned carrying it on top of the pack -- I'm visualizing trying to lay it out horizontally, so I'll give that a shot and see if I can get it attached that way, and if it helps. I'll keep an open mind, but seems logical to me that even if I do get that to work, it's still going to be adding that pressure to my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was wondering why the heck you'd want to carry 6L of water - that's like 12 pounds and a large volume - then I saw where your from Your going to have trouble no matter what with an internal frame pack. Personally, if I needed to carry that much water I'd use a frame pack with some kind of jig to hold plastic quart bottles. Maybe lash a plastic milk crate to the bottom of the pack.
    That's it exactly! And right now I've got more brawn than brains when it comes to backpacking. I'm kinda new at it; only backpacked twice so far. The first time, I was wondering around lost for quite a while, but fortunately in an area with lots of water. This next hike I'm planning is at high elevation -- 8 - 10,000+, and there's only one lake, looks like it's maybe 10 or 12 miles from the start. And this time of year, it's going to be pretty deserted up there.
    So, just want to be extra careful when it comes to water. I did a test-hike with this bladder a couple days ago on a 5 mile hike with an 800 foot climb -- albeit at a much lower elevation (somewhere in the neighborhood between say 1,000 and 2500 feet). So I know what it feels like carrying the thing. I know the weight felt a little below my hips. I just don't think I can do anything about that. But it did bite into the shoulders, so at least I might be able to cushion that some.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    ZPacks makes shoulder pads.
    Yes, someone else mentioned that. I ordered them; I think that's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Yes, when I first experienced problems with the 3l camelbak leaking inside the pack, I got a 2.5 l osprey, which worked fine at first. The 2nd time I hiked with it, it started leaking also -- while it was inside the pack, and it started leaking as soon as I started walking, but that was because I didn't have the top screwed on correctly. (Does anyone else have trouble getting the tops to these things screwed on right?)
    The 6L one is MSR. (This one has a lid like a regular screw top. Easy to get on and off). And if I can fill it from the tube, I might just rethink my idea of wanting it outside the pack. But so far, whenever I've had problems with leaks, it's always been when the bag was inside a completely crammed full pack.
    Re. side pockets -- Right now I have the shovel, tp, hand wipes in one side pocket, and tent poles and nalgene in the other. So, the side pockets are kinda spoken for.
    Question: The built-in pocket for the bladder, inside the pack, is sewn into the inside back of the pack -- in other words, farther away from your back. I guess, for really correct weight distribution, shouldn't it be right up against your back?
    I do still keep the 3L inside, if I'm hiking with a day-pack.
    Not having the top secured properly accounts for most of the bladder leaks I have ever seen. Some brands are more susceptible to this than others, the Osprey bladder system is one that you have to pay attention to when closing it up. If the pack is over filled and/or has the adjustment straps very tight, the bladder will be squeezed and water will be forced out through the lid unless its properly sealed. On any of these bladders, once you have secured the lid, squeeze the bladder. If air leaks out around the cover it means the bladder is not sealed and you should remove and reattach the top until no air escapes when squeezed.

Most packs I have ever seen or used has the water bladder pocket stitched into the back of the pack, close to the body. I don't think I have seen a pack that has the bladder on the outside of the back furthest away from the body. I presume you have moved up into the 6L range due to terrain and water needs in California, a good precaution if you are doing a lot of miles or camping in places water is scarce this time of year. As pointed out, if you are getting padded shoulder pads to carry the 13 pounds of water along with other gear, you are treating the symptom and not the root problem. You should have the full bladder as close to your back as possible, which typically will be in the pack. Weight of the load should be mostly on your hips. If you can't get the weight on your hips, you may want to look at a different pack that will better support the 13 pounds of live water weight along with other gear and food. It doesn't take a lot of additional weight to change the way your pack fits and causes a change of pack to accommodate the new load demand.

Cool

There are so many things going wrong here.
    A space deficient and load challenged pack.
    A 6 liter container that is heavier than virtually free alternatives.
    All of the water in a single container.
    Load placement gone terribly wrong.
    I could probably go on, but those are the high points.
    I have 4 1.5 liter empty water bottles from the supermarket. 34 grams ea., 136 grams total. 26 grams lighter than the MSR 6 liter Dromlite. Burger stated what I have known since forever: Don't put all of your water in a single container. True for hiking/backpacking, cycle touring, sailboats, etc.
    GOOGLE "How to load a backpack". Good illustrations and descriptions abound on the internet. Move the relatively light stuff in your outside pockets to the back of the pack. A 1.5 liter water bottle in each side pocket. The other two up high inside your pack.
    By the way, 6 1 liter bottles weigh more than 4 1.5 liter bottles, according to my digital scale. I was surprised too. 1 liter = 32 grams. 1.5 liter = 34 grams. Nalgenes are a lot heavier. I know because I have 4. Semi-retired now.
    Thanks for reminding me once more not to covet the latest and greatest Gizmos. My antiques work. They are paid for.
    Cheers!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++