WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Grandfather Mountain Halloween weekend

My husband and I are doing a quick shakedown hike the weekend of Halloween at Grandfather Mtn. Being from GA, Not sure what to expect in weather that time of the year in the NC mountains, so therefore, clothing, etc. preparations are a question...

Who is familiar with that area and can tell us the best and worst cases for what to expect that weekend?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Worst case is freezing rain. Best case is sunny/dry/warm. Weather.com can give you the average as well as record highs and lows.

Depends...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For Halloween, expect at or just above freezing temps.

I have hiked Grandfather on a rainy Labor Day. And you can definitely go from warm to cold quick. I would expect frost/light snow conditions to highs in the 60s.

Grandfather to Roan Mtn you can expect the unpredictable. I have seen measurable snowfall in Boone around Halloween to April.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Grandfather and its weather

I rely heavily on Rays Weather (www.raysweather.com) for forecasts of weather in northwest NC and nearby parts of TN and VA. Ray's is a homegrown forecasting effort and as near as I can tell, they're very, very good. In particular, their efforts focus on "micro environments" like the peaks of the Blue Ridge, the deep valleys, the western slopes along the TN border, etc.

For this coming weekend, Ray's forecast for Banner Elk, elevation 4,100' or so, shows highs in the high 50s to low 60s and lows in the low 40s, with showers likely on Saturday, and winds light.

Bear in mind the elevations involved at Grandfather Mountain's backcountry trail system: Grandfather's summit is right at 6,000'. The Boone Fork Trailhead along the Parkway is right at 4,000'. The designated backcountry campsites on that side of the mountain, in and around the Boone Fork headwaters bowl, are probably between 4,200' and 4,400'. The High Balsam site much closer to the Calloway Peak summit is probably above 5,500'. Temps will normally decline by between 3 and 5 deg F per 1,000' (absent an inversion, which is actually pretty common in winter). That said, you may be looking at highs around 50 on Saturday, lows in the high 30s, and wetness from showers and fog.

AO

Default Oh, Halloween weekend!

Just noticed the plan is for Halloween. Still recommend looking at Ray's forecast starting 3-5 days beforehand for then-current predictions. But you very well may see sub-freezing lows and frozen precip is not out of the question. Hurricane Sandy brought blizzard conditions in late October up there. You may also enjoy highs in the 70s! Most everything in between is possible, and it's far too early to guess.

AO

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    Just noticed the plan is for Halloween. Still recommend looking at Ray's forecast starting 3-5 days beforehand for then-current predictions. But you very well may see sub-freezing lows and frozen precip is not out of the question. Hurricane Sandy brought blizzard conditions in late October up there. You may also enjoy highs in the 70s! Most everything in between is possible, and it's far too early to guess.

AO
    Thanks for the link to an accurate forecast. I will my eye on it. Of course I can go to weather.com, but I was hoping for exactly what you gave me... thank you!!!

Last year it snowed. My grandchildren sent me a picture of the Halloween Snowman that they built.
    Absolutely follow Ray's Weather for the forecasts in Watauga and Avery counties. Ray knows the High Country.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

ps: I just saw your comment about following weather.com.
    No way. Those folks don't know the mountains.
    Ray knows! Like to the hour when things are going to happen. It's spooky.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Ray is a professor at Appalachian State University in Boone and he does have the weather in the high country figured out

Quote Originally Posted by bwb49 View Post
    Ray is a professor at Appalachian State University in Boone and he does have the weather in the high country figured out
    Cool. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Journal Entries

And this is why we go to the WB community for answers instead of just googling or weather.com.

+1 on Rays, use it often.
    Grandfather is an adult jungle gym with the ladders and the cables. Lots of fun. The are two camps at the base and your in hiking distance from Julian Price State Park, another cool place.
    Hope you get a clear day on Calloway peak, view is awesome.
    Beware-plenty of "leafers" in the area. Although it may have dies down by then.
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Worst case is freezing rain. Best case is sunny/dry/warm. Weather.com can give you the average as well as record highs and lows.
    Worst case is sleet and/or snow with high winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Last year it snowed. My grandchildren sent me a picture of the Halloween Snowman that they built.
    Absolutely follow Ray's Weather for the forecasts in Watauga and Avery counties. Ray knows the High Country.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    I lived in Boone several years ago when we got walloped by a big Halloween snowstorm (1991)---see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Halloween_blizzard

Last year I was way south of Grandfather Mt on Slickrock Creek NC and got hit by a Halloween snowstorm. See---

Images

As everyone else has said, Ray's Weather is the bomb! Ray doesn't have a station or reporting site from Grandfather itself but you can click on the neighboring summits of Sugar or Beech Mountain to get a very comparable forecast with what you should expect on the ridgelines of Grandfather.

What are your plans mileage wise? It is very tough going up there. The closest thing I can compare it to is hiking the Whites. Slow going and you will not make a lot of miles. I once did a day hike up the Profile trail all the way over to the swinging bridge and back which is 11.2 miles I think if you include the side trip to Calloway Peak. It took me 7.5 hours! But as others have said there really isn't anything like it around here and it is truly stunning. Enjoy your trip!
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

++ New Posts ++