WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lite weight rain/wind gear

Im becoming pretty familiar with lightweight fabrics such as silnylon, Cuban, different grades of rip stop and how thing are embedded with water proofing membranes and what they do to the overall sq yard weight. I'm unfamiliar with pertex. I'm looking for a lightweight rain/wind coat option in one for my wife for 3 season use. Any input on usage of materials in wet harsh conditions and winds would be great. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packa.

Second vote for a packa. You can wear it when you don't have your pack on as well (although I wouldn't wear it around town). Lightweight and mine has been durable (though I take care of it). This is a subject that you can really get bogged down with due to all the options. Is this strictly for backpacking or dual use as a town rain jacket as well?
    Good luck with your search.
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    That jacket uses Pertex Endurance fabric. It's water-resistant but not waterproof. Pertex Shield and Pertex Shield+ are waterproof and more durable. I have an Outdoor Research Helium II jacket and Revel Mitts which are both made from the Pertex Shield+ and it seems great. I am about to replace my sleeping bag with one that has an outer shell made of Pertex Shield as well.

Pertex Shield is 1.66 oz/yd˛, while Pertex Endurance is 0.94 oz/yd˛, so there is a weight benefit to Endurance - the two aforementioned jackets have a 3oz difference (though that would be less with seam taping added to the Luke's jacket). I consider seam taping to be a necessity on either. Luke's also makes a Pertex Shield jacket that is worth consideration!

This is a backpacking coat. She likes the women's helium II. We are looking into Luke's but idk how the pertex material is going to feel. At least with an OR coat we can send it back if she doesn't care for the feel.

I'm using a Cuban fiber rain jacket I bought from Zpacks. I ordered the 40 inch length with a 2 way zipper and pit zips. Weighs 5 oz. Not cheap but after hiking several hours in a driving rain in comfort I did not mind the price.

I have the normal length with no pit zips got a great deal on it but if I paid full price I would have ordered your set up. I love mine but haven't tested it yet in the rain. The wife thinks it feels like kite tyvek so that's why she is looking for something else

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    I have the normal length with no pit zips got a great deal on it but if I paid full price I would have ordered your set up. I love mine but haven't tested it yet in the rain. The wife thinks it feels like kite tyvek so that's why she is looking for something else

just attach a string to her, she'll be ok. sorry, I had ta.

I love pit zips, and likely wouldn't guy another rain jacket without them...unless it was a screamin' deal or something.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I love pit zips, and likely wouldn't guy another rain jacket without them...unless it was a screamin' deal or something.
    It wouldn't be a screaming deal without pit zips.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    That jacket uses Pertex Endurance fabric. It's water-resistant but not waterproof. Pertex Shield and Pertex Shield+ are waterproof and more durable. I have an Outdoor Research Helium II jacket and Revel Mitts which are both made from the Pertex Shield+ and it seems great. I am about to replace my sleeping bag with one that has an outer shell made of Pertex Shield as well.

Pertex Shield is 1.66 oz/yd˛, while Pertex Endurance is 0.94 oz/yd˛, so there is a weight benefit to Endurance - the two aforementioned jackets have a 3oz difference (though that would be less with seam taping added to the Luke's jacket). I consider seam taping to be a necessity on either. Luke's also makes a Pertex Shield jacket that is worth consideration!
    Fascinating. Thank you.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    "Thisis jacket is recommended for individuals where weight is the highest priority. Not recommended for extremely wet environments."

The weight is excellent. Has anyone used this during a rain storm? Pack size?

Seth, I was going to rec a Event or Gore-Tex Pro hard shell based on what info you shared. You gave up a bit of durability(noting crazy though) but have an extremely WP, extremely breathable(for real), EXTREMELY LIGHT WT, rain/wind jacket if you nailed the ZP Challenger in the latest version. IMO, it's better overall than any of the Pertex version rain jackets.

My northface goretex is stuffy but is probably 3 years old technology. I've seen the test with event vs goretex and the event seems to come out on top.

Not for "harsh" environments, but I use a cheapo umbrella I picked up on amazon.

4oz, $12, don't expect the world out of it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Mini-Lightwe...pp+Collections

My wife recived her pertex OR helium 2 and it does seem the zpacks challenger would be more breathable side by side but won't know anything till these both get a good soak.

If the MVTR specs Joe at Zpacks sent me are anywhere in the ballpark in actual use than the fabric and constructional layers of the latest hybrid cuben/eVent Challenger jacket in itself are far more breathable than the Pertex Shield+ coating 2.5 layer fabric and construction of the OR helium II.

Of course, what one experiences in the real world as far as breathabilty in a rain jacket is heavily influenced by the user's behavior. No gear optimally functions in a bubble with zero regard to the user's ability.

I like anything treated with DWR, because the DWR can be renewed at a laundramat.

I have been looking to try the LightHeart Gear Rain Hoodie, because it protects the top back of the backpack at the shoulder straps that will "wet-out" and let rainwater in.

++ New Posts ++