Thread: Suddenly solo

Default Suddenly solo

So I have section hiked about 100 miles about 10 years ago. I've done some light backpacking since as well. My husband and I were supposed to do a 7 day section springer to dicks creek the last week of October. Last minute, my husband has to work, so I am in panic mode about going solo. i've never solo hiked, so I've got to scramble to get some new one man gear (primarily a new tent) and am more concerned about safety (off the trail primarily...getting to and from my car mostly).

I think I'll probably lengthen my trip a little, probably springer to winding stair in about 10-12 days.
    I'm thinking of parking my car at the top of springer and then trying to get (a series?) of shuttles back. I know a lot of people recommend parking, shuttling and then hiking back to your car. I haven't had time to think too much about it, but I like the idea of starting at springer. So any shuttle ideas or information would be great.

I think this section is really busy this time of year, as the hiker hostel was booked weeks in advance. So hopefully I'll find a few people along the way. However, I really want to avoid busy/loud shelters.

I know there weren't any actual questions in this post, lol. I have not had time to think of specific questions yet, I'm researching tents now.

Any thoughts or advice (or moral support) are greatly appreciated! Also if anyone is hiking this section during this time, that'd be great too.

Get a hammock and tarp....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about a Notch Tarptent, 27oz. I dont think I'd sleep well in a Hammock, I have one at home. Plus I have the tiniest bladder and have to pee like 3 times during the night and dont want to try to deal with getting into and out of a hammock.

Images

The Notch is a great solo tent and reasonably priced.

I almost always recommend NOT parking at the finish point and walking to the car, since many hikers (especially beginners on the AT) don't know how far they will walk or gte off the trail early or whatever. It's easier in some ways to have one shuttle at the end. (Being a hard-headed SOB it only took me three or four times to learn this lesson.)

The Hiker Hostel is the best way to hike Georgia -- park there, spend the night, get a ride to Springer, and have them pick you up when you are done hiking. Can you change your start date so you can use their services? Maybe a Monday or Tuesday?

Absent the Hiker hostel, the safest place to park at Springer is at the ranger station in Amicalola Falls State Park. Sign in and give them your info and you get a card to leave in the window. Then hike the Approach Trail to Springer, which is a lovely trail and a nice way to get to the top. It will also give you a good intro to the trail conditions in Georgia .

Solo hiking in Georgia is pretty safe. For one thing, you won't really be alone especially in camp if you stay near shelters. Hikers do look out for one another, and you'll likely see the same people each day, even in October. I would not hesitate to drop my daughter off at Springer should she want to hike the AT. (Not that it would ever happen )

Do call the ranger station at AFSP and ask about hunting seasons. Late October is getting toward the time when you'll want some blaze orange -- a pack cover, maybe a ball cap or a vest. Not sure what seasons are open when in GA, so check ahead of time.

Good luck and happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Oh, and
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

There will be people grouping at the shelters this time of year. But nothing like thru-hiker season. Some of my best hikes were along this stretch at this time of year. Days are short.

Section Hiker

Call Joyce and Sally, (706) 896-9339, they shuttle from Amicalola to NOC and live right at Dick's Creek. You can park your car at their house and they'll shuttle you wherever you need to go, even do resupply drops. When you hike through there, walk 1/2 mile west from the gap and stay at Top of GA Hostel. Sir Packalot will run you into town for dinner and resupply. I recommend the all you can eat buffet at Daniel's.

There should be plenty of people out, I don't think you'll be alone especially to camp. Check out "Appalachian Trail Section Hikers" on Facebook, have seen many posts about people being on the trail in GA this month... I will be as well that week, but farther north.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I lived in the Dallas area 30+ years but now live in north Georgia, near the trail. Believe me, the most dangerous part of your trip will be getting here, not on the trail. People here are friendly and helpful. The advice given by others above is spot on. Just be prepared for the weather. It will get cold on the mountain tops at night, especially for Dallas blood :-) Good luck and definitely go for it - you're gonna have a great time.

It is during hunting season, ive got a blaze orange bandana and am gonna get a hat as well. Looking forward to the foilage!

I second Joyce and Sally. Joyce shuttled my son and me from Deep Gap to the NOC just last month. Very knowledgable, punctual and flexible as her schedule allowed (we had to change our plans at last minute) with reasonable rates. Again, phone is 706-896-9339.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++