WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default This is why I never liked crossing Suspension Bridges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...collapses.html

I'm one of those guys with a death grip on both cables when I cross. Yikes!

Surprise! That could've been a lot worse than it was.

A good cautionary tale to not bunch up on bridges and not walk in cadence so the stresses on bridge supports are not magnified.

Images

Wow, Luckily seems you made it with no serious injury.

I am one of those people who waits before crossing a suspension bridge to be the only person on it. I have been even ridiculed for this act but this video shows I have a good reason.

Images

That video was not mine, this happened to some hikers in New Zealand. They were lucky indeed. If you have ever seen the Rainforest canopy at "Hanging Bridges" in Monteverde, Costa Rica you know how scary these suspension bridges can be. I was out in the middle of a very high one when some fool decided he was going to start bouncing everyone up and down. I would have liked to choke them to death if I hadn't been hanging on for dear life.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    That video was not mine, this happened to some hikers in New Zealand. They were lucky indeed. If you have ever seen the Rainforest canopy at "Hanging Bridges" in Monteverde, Costa Rica you know how scary these suspension bridges can be. I was out in the middle of a very high one when some fool decided he was going to start bouncing everyone up and down. I would have liked to choke them to death if I hadn't been hanging on for dear life.
    Is he the same idiot who likes to rock the canoe?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Never thought crossing a pedestrian suspension bridge was a cause for fear, bad dream, nightmare, or terrifying moment. Actually like crossing pedestrian bridges for their views, adventure, and easier route. I always look down accessing the water depth if they indeed bridge water contemplating jumping for the added thrill. Heck, even if one was to collapse I'd do an Indiana Jones turning the walking across into a climbing the ladder experience.

I'm not sure I have the finely honed, cat-like reflexes to turn into a fictional movie character in less than a second to successfully react to a catastrophic suspension bridge failure of this type. You have my admiration.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

And that bridge looked nice and secure! Not like some of the ones I've seen.

It's especially confidence inspiring when they're wet and slippery, and totally lack handrails or anything to keep you from sliding off the side.

Particularly on a trip where other bridges look like this.

Some of the bridges that I encountered on that trip, I didn't use. I felt safer fording. At least if I wiped out I wouldn't be entangled in bridge wreckage.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Kevin, those are some scary bridges. Are these all in the Adirondacks?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Kevin, those are some scary bridges. Are these all in the Adirondacks?
    Yes, all on the Northville-Placid Trail. In order, top to bottom:

1. Cold River, right by Cold River #3 lean-to.
    2. Hamilton Lake Stream.
    3. The bridge that used to cross by the dam at Duck Hole, destroyed by Hurricane Irene (and will not be rebuilt, it's a "nonconforming structure" under the Wilderness Act). The trail to Henderson Lake and Tahawus now fords at a different spot.

It's a great trail! For my money it's wilder than the Hundred-Mile Wilderness. There are two sections of nearly 40 miles each that have no road access (or any way out shorter than the trail).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I just hike the Manistee River trail and took pictures of these two bridges. The 245 foot suspension bridge seemed to be in good shape, but it was a bit bouncy in the middle.
    IMG_6504.JPG

This wooden bridge had seen better days. It was tilted and twisted. Walking across it was a challenge.
    IMG_6519.JPG

Footage from suspension bridge on Mother Mountain Loop, Mount Rainier at 32:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I just hike the Manistee River trail and took pictures of these two bridges. The 245 foot suspension bridge seemed to be in good shape, but it was a bit bouncy in the middle.
    IMG_6504.JPG

This wooden bridge had seen better days. It was tilted and twisted. Walking across it was a challenge.
    IMG_6519.JPG
    I thought the biggest challenge at the wooden Cedar Creek bridge was the big step on the north end.
    that would be one of the harder creeks to wade.

++ New Posts ++