WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Going into the Unknown: What's your opinion?

Hey adventurers, i was just thinking, sure to hike the AT would be awesome but what's your opinion on doing a hike no one has ever done before? Where would you begin? Any tips or suggestions for navigation, resupply, etc? Anything is useful. I have an idea of a possible route but what's your opinions on doing something (from what I've researched) that has never been done before? Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon! Any links or anything will be greatly appreciated!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

This is called "bushwhacking" and it isn't permitted everywhere. It also goes against LNT principals because you're hiking on non-durable surfaces. Being an expert at navigation would be the #1 most important part of this otherwise you'd very easily find yourself lost in the wood.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
    This is called "bushwhacking" and it isn't permitted everywhere. It also goes against LNT principals because you're hiking on non-durable surfaces. Being an expert at navigation would be the #1 most important part of this otherwise you'd very easily find yourself lost in the wood.
    Thank you! And yes, i've been working more and more on navigational skills. Also, I wasn't saying make my own trails for everything by any means I was meaning like doing something big like no ones done before like how people have did the American Discovery Trail, as well as other ultra long distance trail systems.

Phew, a heavy handed response.

BenOnAdventures, you don't give us a clue about what you're talking about. Hiking the AT but paralleling it a 100 yards off trail? Hiking the Eisenhower Interstate System but doing it solely in the trees on the middle divider?? Doing a cross country on farmland and over fences? Or here's an idea and one I like and something no one has ever done before, even the Cherokee Indians:

Load up a pack with 90 days worth of food (I think Demetri Coupounas did this with 40+ days of food) and spend 3 months on the AT WITH NO TOWN INTERRUPTIONS!!! I'd be dang happy to read your trip report as I'm sick of all the motel stays and restaurant meals.

And to Sugarlips---You just start out with a negatory response. Isn't permitted everywhere, goes against LNT, non-durable surfaces. Lost in the wood?? Say what? Durable surfaces?? Millions of animals bushwack billions of miles and everything seems to be fine.

I encourage all backpackers to bushwack their butts off. Please. You'll see 90% of the forest no one ever sees and in most places it's permitted---Mt Rogers, Citico wilderness, off the AT, Slickrock wilderness, Big Frog and Cohutta wilderness, all national forests ETC ETC. Even the Smokies offers a cross country permit. Go into every hollow and up every creek you can find. We don't live in China yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Phew, a heavy handed response.

BenOnAdventures, you don't give us a clue about what you're talking about. Hiking the AT but paralleling it a 100 yards off trail? Hiking the Eisenhower Interstate System but doing it solely in the trees on the middle divider?? Doing a cross country on farmland and over fences? Or here's an idea and one I like and something no one has ever done before, even the Cherokee Indians:

Load up a pack with 90 days worth of food (I think Demetri Coupounas did this with 40+ days of food) and spend 3 months on the AT WITH NO TOWN INTERRUPTIONS!!! I'd be dang happy to read your trip report as I'm sick of all the motel stays and restaurant meals.

And to Sugarlips---You just start out with a negatory response. Isn't permitted everywhere, goes against LNT, non-durable surfaces. Lost in the wood?? Say what? Durable surfaces?? Millions of animals bushwack billions of miles and everything seems to be fine.

I encourage all backpackers to bushwack their butts off. Please. You'll see 90% of the forest no one ever sees and in most places it's permitted---Mt Rogers, Citico wilderness, off the AT, Slickrock wilderness, Big Frog and Cohutta wilderness, all national forests ETC ETC. Even the Smokies offers a cross country permit. Go into every hollow and up every creek you can find. We don't live in China yet.
    Great response! If you don't mind could you possibly email me and we'll discuss more of what I'm thinking? [email protected]

I know many hikers who have created their own routes, or even their own trails. The Hayduke Trail, the Grand Enchantment Trail, the Sierra High Route were all created by people who wanted to create a route in an area that didn't exist before and then publicized it afterwards. Brett from the GET went out several years and flagged his route, as well as creating maps etc. for future hikers. The Continental Divide Trail was also created by someone who believed that a route along the Divide should be protected. Many people create routes across the country, either on roads or by linking existing trails and rail trails and canals. It would be easy to create a multi-month hike linking trails in northern PA. I know a couple of folks who have hiked some version of the Grand Circle, linking CDT, AZT, Hayduke and GET.

Even on an existing long distance trail, you can create alternate routes. The CDT is famous for that. When we hiked it the second time, about 1/4 of the way was brand new to us and included trails through mountain ranges that we hadn't visited previously and that were 100 miles away from the official route. Researching it was a lot of fun, but also a bit frustrating because there were too many possible routes. It included a lot of time looking at maps, reading hike descriptions that sounded interesting (The Devils Backbone - who could resist?), contacting outfitters and people who lived in the area to get recommendations, etc. I ended up with more ideas for routes than I could possibly hike. I thought it was a lot of fun. There was also a lot of uncertainty, because we had no idea about water availability. Also, maps lie. One major bridge was long gone so we had a large detour to get over the river. You may find yourself on private property without intending to do so. If you can handle uncertainty, then go for it.

1) There is nothing inherently against LNT about bushwhacking unless as sugarlips mentioned, it is not permitted by law.
    2) This happens all the time and is more popular out west where off-trail navigation is far easier. Navigating above treeline off trail is far easier than in the dense forrests east of the Mississippi
    3) Go to Alaska if you want to go somewhere no one has been. Gates of the Arctic National Park doesn't really have trails and is supposedly incredible. I'd use Skurka's Brooks Range Traverse as a starting point but you can go wherever you want. http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/a...e-description/
    4) Get better at navigation. Take some trips that are easily bounded by roads in all directions (and aren't too cliffy) within a few miles so that worst case you get lost and can just take a compass heading and hit a road in a few hours. GPS is good but maps don't break. Use both.
    5) Resupply is highly dependent on location. You can always pay someone to bring you food. The more remote the more expensive as it might require a Bush Plane or significant hike with a full Bear Canister.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I know many hikers who have created their own routes, or even their own trails. The Hayduke Trail, the Grand Enchantment Trail, the Sierra High Route were all created by people who wanted to create a route in an area that didn't exist before and then publicized it afterwards. Brett from the GET went out several years and flagged his route, as well as creating maps etc. for future hikers. The Continental Divide Trail was also created by someone who believed that a route along the Divide should be protected. Many people create routes across the country, either on roads or by linking existing trails and rail trails and canals. It would be easy to create a multi-month hike linking trails in northern PA. I know a couple of folks who have hiked some version of the Grand Circle, linking CDT, AZT, Hayduke and GET.

Even on an existing long distance trail, you can create alternate routes. The CDT is famous for that. When we hiked it the second time, about 1/4 of the way was brand new to us and included trails through mountain ranges that we hadn't visited previously and that were 100 miles away from the official route. Researching it was a lot of fun, but also a bit frustrating because there were too many possible routes. It included a lot of time looking at maps, reading hike descriptions that sounded interesting (The Devils Backbone - who could resist?), contacting outfitters and people who lived in the area to get recommendations, etc. I ended up with more ideas for routes than I could possibly hike. I thought it was a lot of fun. There was also a lot of uncertainty, because we had no idea about water availability. Also, maps lie. One major bridge was long gone so we had a large detour to get over the river. You may find yourself on private property without intending to do so. If you can handle uncertainty, then go for it.
    Thank you thank you thank you for the awesome reply!! I love hearing the first hand account, it's much appreciated!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    1) There is nothing inherently against LNT about bushwhacking unless as sugarlips mentioned, it is not permitted by law.
    2) This happens all the time and is more popular out west where off-trail navigation is far easier. Navigating above treeline off trail is far easier than in the dense forrests east of the Mississippi
    3) Go to Alaska if you want to go somewhere no one has been. Gates of the Arctic National Park doesn't really have trails and is supposedly incredible. I'd use Skurka's Brooks Range Traverse as a starting point but you can go wherever you want. http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/a...e-description/
    4) Get better at navigation. Take some trips that are easily bounded by roads in all directions (and aren't too cliffy) within a few miles so that worst case you get lost and can just take a compass heading and hit a road in a few hours. GPS is good but maps don't break. Use both.
    5) Resupply is highly dependent on location. You can always pay someone to bring you food. The more remote the more expensive as it might require a Bush Plane or significant hike with a full Bear Canister.
    Thank you for the suggestions on locations and the link, I'll be sure to look into all of that!!

Following LNT principals is voluntary, but if someone wants to follow them they advise hikers to stay on trails and not to bushwhack.

And telling someone who just learning navigation to go off into the woods is terrible advice.

Cool

A few random thoughts.
    A. It will be hard to come up with a self-propelled trip that is genuinely original.
    B. Such a trip could be logistically expensive.
    C. If you announce your idea somebody could beat you to it.
    D. How much time would you have to complete such an adventure?
    E. Would this be a hiking trip? Or multi-modal? Like Hike-Bike-Raft?
    F. Eric Ryback, PCT Hiker #1, used a 375 mile resupply plan. So, that's been done. Try 400+ miles?
    G. Original, self-directed research and planning. Asking the internet community to do your research for you is poor form.

Extremely random thought:

CDT. October 1 start. An insane idea. A person could get kilt, or even worse.

Something a bit more manageable:

Piece together the longest hike without a road crossing in the Lower 48 states. That could be fun. Tipi Walter might approve.

Cheers!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BenOnAdventures View Post
    Hey adventurers, i was just thinking, sure to hike the AT would be awesome but what's your opinion on doing a hike no one has ever done before? Where would you begin? Any tips or suggestions for navigation, resupply, etc? Anything is useful. I have an idea of a possible route but what's your opinions on doing something (from what I've researched) that has never been done before? Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon! Any links or anything will be greatly appreciated!
    How cool would it be to stay just off the coasts and go all the way around the US? Don't know if its been done, but if so, I didn't hear about it and I've thought of doing that several times.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Following LNT principals is voluntary, but if someone wants to follow them they advise hikers to stay on trails and not to bushwhack.

And telling someone who just learning navigation to go off into the woods is terrible advice.
    The full guideline is:
    1. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces: Damage to land occurs when surface vegetation or communities of organisms are trampled beyond repair. The resulting barren area leads to unusable trails, campsites and soil erosion.

Durable surfaces doesn't only mean trail.

Trampling something beyond repair often means to be cognazant of group size, or something like cryptobiotic soil. Walking as an individual through a fully developed forrest off trail will almost never result in any of these problems. Beaches, talus, scree, river banks, washes, and a variety of other non-trail surfaces are perfectly fine all of the time as well.

To the second point, he should learn navigation but be ready to screw up. The way to learn navigation is to go navigate in a circumstance that isn't bad when one gets lost. Carry 7 days of food for a 4 day trip in an area with lots of trails and roads, and go get lost. Then go get found.

Ben, what your suggesting is at the very heart and is the essence of our activity, good for you dude, way to many cookie cutter trails out there to hike, complete with guide books and way points for food, fun, and dancin' girls. One suggestion, leave your itinerary with a trusted friend, and don't deviate, by this I do not mean don't venture off trail, I mean don't plan to hike in New Hampshire and then be rescued in Utah. Other than that, rock on adventurer.

Incidentally, most of the trails I walk on these days are deer runs, and other animal trails that are everywhere, just gotta know what to look for, after that, they're not to hard to find, and offer unlimited passage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    How cool would it be to stay just off the coasts and go all the way around the US? Don't know if its been done, but if so, I didn't hear about it and I've thought of doing that several times.
    Interesting suggestion, I'll look into that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Ben, what your suggesting is at the very heart and is the essence of our activity, good for you dude, way to many cookie cutter trails out there to hike, complete with guide books and way points for food, fun, and dancin' girls. One suggestion, leave your itinerary with a trusted friend, and don't deviate, by this I do not mean don't venture off trail, I mean don't plan to hike in New Hampshire and then be rescued in Utah. Other than that, rock on adventurer.
    Thank you I appreciate the kind words! I have an idea for a possible trail/adventure, if you'd like to email me here's my email: [email protected]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A few random thoughts.
    A. It will be hard to come up with a self-propelled trip that is genuinely original.
    B. Such a trip could be logistically expensive.
    C. If you announce your idea somebody could beat you to it.
    D. How much time would you have to complete such an adventure?
    E. Would this be a hiking trip? Or multi-modal? Like Hike-Bike-Raft?
    F. Eric Ryback, PCT Hiker #1, used a 375 mile resupply plan. So, that's been done. Try 400+ miles?
    G. Original, self-directed research and planning. Asking the internet community to do your research for you is poor form.

Extremely random thought:

CDT. October 1 start. An insane idea. A person could get kilt, or even worse.

Something a bit more manageable:

Piece together the longest hike without a road crossing in the Lower 48 states. That could be fun. Tipi Walter might approve.

Cheers!

Wayne
    Great great points! Regarding point G, I wasn't suggesting someone plan a trip for me or anything of that nature, i was asking for suggestions or ideas. That is all. Also, regarding C, that's why i haven't posted it on here.

It was his idea to begin with---"doing a hike no one has ever done before." It's his choice, and the word "bushwack" never came up until you first mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I mean don't plan to hike in New Hampshire and then be rescued in Utah.
    Now what a great trip that would be. Start in New Hampshire and get rescued in Utah. I like the sound of that. Might even make a great tattoo once you get rescued in . . . . wait for it . . . . Utah.

Images

It was his idea to begin with---"doing a hike no one has ever done before." It's his choice, and the word "bushwack" never came up until you first mentioned it.

Now what a great trip that would be. Start in New Hampshire and get rescued in Utah. I like the sound of that. Might even make a great tattoo once you get rescued in . . . . wait for it . . . . Utah.
    I cant tell if this is sarcasm or actual advice lol. Are you agreeing with the new adventure idea or no? lol

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++