WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thanks for all the great input, articles, sites & science on the topic of nutrition. So much more than I ever knew or expected to get on this thread, but as usual WBers are quick to share their knowledge. I hope to gleen just enough to make my hike a success, nutritionally speaking.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I have been looking for the 2015 version of the food pyramid website, to make food lists of "nutrient dense" fresh food. The website seems to be down.

The highest nutritional value was shown for each category of food.

LOL. The more you look you'll realize there is more than one food pyramid version. Here's Dr Fuhrmans which I like. Following I like the TOP 100 ORAC Value Antioxidant foods : http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health...foods-top-100/

Good one!

The 2015 Food Pyramid is identical to the one on a website sponsored by The First Lady, Mrs. Obama.

The website heavily used flash, I guess. It froze up, often, especially so when I went back and forth between the nutritional ingredients lists.

I was trying to list the most "nutritionally dense" food items in each category: fruit, vegetables, beans, legumes, grains, etal.

I would still like to be able to make that list.

Here are more, all good information because each one is closer to a traditional diet.

Mediterranian Diet Guidelines
    http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/mediterranean-diet-pyramid/

Latin American Diet Pyramid
    http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/latin-american-pyramid/

Vegetarian Diet Pyramid
    http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/vegetarian-food-pyramid/

It looks like he did the comparisons I was making, to list "nutritionally dense" food items.

Here is the description: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/andi-food-scores.aspx

We all always throw in the qualifier: "Everyone's different" and this article seems to not only support that, but show just how very true, prevalent and radical this concept is; maybe this is why some seem to need very specialized diets and others (like me) seem to be able to eat anything and feel perfectly fine and healthy. My only Achilles heel, when it comes to food, is that I must limit the amounts, much more than I would prefer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...isrc=nl_wemost

Excerpt:
    "There are profound differences between individuals — in some cases, individuals have opposite responses to one another," Segal explained.

The researchers said the findings show that tailoring meal plans to individuals' biology may be the future of dieting and the study yielded many surprises for individuals. One example involves a middle-aged woman who tried and failed with many diets. Tests showed that her blood sugar levels spiked after eating tomatoes — indicating it is a poor diet choice for her since blood sugar has been associated with heart problems, obesity and diabetes — but since she didn't know this, she was eating them as part of her healthy diet plans several times a week.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................
    A quick scan of the Food Pyramid failed to mention Belgian ales or pizza.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Food Pyramid represents a "fad diet" developed in 1977 (see Death by Food Pyramid, or The Big Fat Surprise for details).
    It is largely responsible for the obesity/diabetes epidemic.
    Turn it upside down (how your grandparents ate) and you'll be a lot healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The Food Pyramid represents a "fad diet" developed in 1977 (see Death by Food Pyramid, or The Big Fat Surprise for details).
    It is largely responsible for the obesity/diabetes epidemic.
    Turn it upside down (how your grandparents ate) and you'll be a lot healthier.
    My grandparents ate pretty much as the chart in post #42 suggests, which is the chart from 2010. Are you suggesting this chart and what it represents is the cause of obesity/diabetes epidemic and it should be flipped over to be healthier? That would leave the largest portion of your daily food to be sweets, red meat, cheese, and processed foods, with vegetables having a "rarely" position in ones diet. Are you sure you want to do that?

Images

Post #42 is not really the food pyramid. The food pyramid to which RockDoc refers is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_p...od_Pyramid.gif

Perhaps he should have said "cut the bottom off the pyramid", which is pretty good advice

Quote Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
    Post #42 is not really the food pyramid. The food pyramid to which RockDoc refers is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_p...od_Pyramid.gif

Perhaps he should have said "cut the bottom off the pyramid", which is pretty good advice
    As said in my Post #42 which I'll restate again here since it seems it was ignored in that post, "the more you look you'll realize there is more than one food pyramid version. Here's Dr Fuhrmans which I like.

Rgarling, even with your 1992 USDA food pyramid that you linked to in Wikipedia, and as that article in that reference states, it has been changed.

Obesity is self inflicted. A person doesn't need a Food Pyramid to eat themselves into obesity.
    Show me a Big Mac with cheese combo Supersize on the Food Pyramid?
    "Would you Supersize those fries, it's our anniversary." Jeff Foxworthy

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Obesity is self inflicted. A person doesn't need a Food Pyramid to eat themselves into obesity.
    Show me a Big Mac with cheese combo Supersize on the Food Pyramid?
    And a person can eat as many Big Macs and supersized fries as he wants and not be anywhere close to obese. Obesity is as much about lifestyle as it is about diet, even more IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    And a person can eat as many Big Macs and supersized fries as he wants and not be anywhere close to obese. Obesity is as much about lifestyle as it is about diet, even more IMHO.
    Like I said, obesity is self inflicted. There are many variables in the equation. A vegan diet can do it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

When I was a kid I ate 3 Big Macs once...if I recall correctly I was sick all the way up til dinner time.

When I was a kid (probably about 7) I remember eating a ton of green grapes. I was so damn sick all freakin' night, I can still remember the intense stomach pains and being stuck on the toilet.

Journal Entries

Thousands of thru hikers are living proof that typical hiker diet works fine.

You need easy , no hassle calories for resupply and trail food while hiking 20 mpd.
    Try to eat balanced meals in town to get some nutrients. Your in town every few days

All the rest is blah blah blah blah..

Supplement with a daily vitamin if it makes you feel good. You wont know the difference.

Images

They may notice the difference and if not directly, it can prevent sickness and injury. If you do supplement however, I should suggest a wholefood vitamin rather than the typical synthetics found at most grocers.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    You are right but you are also describing the exception rather than the norm. There is a definite statistically significant correlation with those who regularly consume quantities of Mickey Dum Diddy Dees with being over wt or obese.

Let us consider visually seeming to be of avg body wt in perspective of age, gender, ht, frame type, etc is no guarantee of health either. Just because one seems athletically fit or not significantly over wt is definitely not always representative of health.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ... There is a definite statistically significant correlation with those who regularly consume quantities of Mickey Dum Diddy Dees with being over wt or obese.
    Do you have a reference to back this claim? I have seen none. I'm not saying for sure there isn't some correlation, but one has to be careful drawing causal relationship conclusions. I claim it's much more about lifestyle then food choices.

And I'm also not saying consuming mass-quantities of Big Macs is healthy, but I am saying one really doesn't have to worry so much about "empty calories" if one's lifestyle is extremely active. Only a couple of my circle of hiking/climbing friends ever worry about what they eat, and none of us are in the least bit overweight (well, maybe 5 pounds....) simply because we constantly burn away our food. If I ever stopped this constant burning, I'd gain lots of weight, but the reason is total calories, not Big Macs, per se. It really is all about calorie intake and calorie use, plain and simple.

You call this "the exception" and not the rule? Well, on Whiteblaze, that shouldn't be true as hopefully we are mostly very active people. If you're on here and significantly overweight, get in gear and start burning more calories! Easy to do because we all love hiking. Hike more. Walk more.

I was basically agreeing with you Wayne: obesity is self inflicted. that was the "and" part of my statement.

Rob,
    Visit any fast/junk food outlet. You will see proof.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++