WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    SGT. I got an Eveready headlamp at the Home Depot with two white leds and a red led for $12.95 that works great. I only drawback is it has a sliding switch that can turn itself on if not stored properly. Runs on 3 AAA's.
    I'm not too keen on this light because the clear plastic lens housing reflects stray light all over the place.

Another possibility is the Pelican L1, red led version. Waterproof, breakway lanyard so you can hang it around your neck, very rugged.

Doug Frost

Rock, others have mentioned it, but here's a link:

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesPro...roduitAssocie=

Petzl TACTIKKA PLUS

Alternates easily between white and red light simply by moving the pivoting filter over the LEDs.
    Sounds like exactly what you're asking for. $45 on rei. $42 on ebay buy it now including shipping.

Good luck!
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

A Special Breed of Crazy FFTorched's Avatar
    Images

:banana Petzl Lamp

I have this Headlamp and love it. I use it for Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Drinking, and a slew of over activities. It's still on it's origional batteries and it's nearly a year old, though I keep it in heavy rotation with my black diamond headlamp. Backcountry.com has it for $45.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PTZ...ml?id=aKxFKPxc
    " It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave." -- Edward Abbey

Sarge... check out these two products

Petzl Tactikka Plus Led http://www.cabelas.com

Master Vision Cap Light "Stealth" (Cats Eyes) http://www.thequickstore

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    SGT. I got an Eveready headlamp at the Home Depot with two white leds and a red led for $12.95 that works great. I only drawback is it has a sliding switch that can turn itself on if not stored properly. Runs on 3 AAA's.
    I have a Wal-mart lite, also with 2 white and 1 red LEDs, I think for $12.77

The switch does the same thing to me (turns itself on in my pack). I use a tiny square of duct tape to keep it from moving.

I used the red light only once, in hte Ironmasters Hostel when I left about 3:00 am and didn't want to wake anyone. I didn't wake anyone up, but evidently I didn't see my gloves and left them behind, probably under the bunk.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    Rock, others have mentioned it, but here's a link:

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesPro...roduitAssocie=

Petzl TACTIKKA PLUS

Sounds like exactly what you're asking for. $45 on rei. $42 on ebay buy it now including shipping.

Good luck!

Tactikka Plus is also at Brigade Quartermasters website for 39.99. Drawback is it may use a nonstandard battery? (Uses 3 round AAA-LR3 batteries supplied with product)

Rock, I live about four miles from Brigade Quartermasters' main office in Kennesaw, GA. They offer special pricing for military personnel, but you have to register at http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...sional/mp2.tam to get it.

Take Care,

Tim

Default Night Vision - The Red Myth

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    This is so I can read in a tactical enviroment if I need to and then switch to having white light sometimes. Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    Here's a interesting article that deals with red flashlights and their effectiveness at maintaining night vision.

See link:
    http://www.stlplaces.com/night_vision.html

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I have a Wal-mart lite, also with 2 white and 1 red LEDs, I think for $12.77

The switch does the same thing to me (turns itself on in my pack). I use a tiny square of duct tape to keep it from moving.

I think I have that same light. Walmart special. The lense housing (where the switch is mounted on top) pivots, so after I noticed it getting turned on in my pack, I started stowing it pivoted so that the switch was facing the battery pack. (Ie, if I'd been wearing it and turned it on, the light would point straight up.) Once I started packing it this way I had no more accidental switch-ons.

This is not a particularly well-manufactured light; the first one I got went bad (one of the white LEDs died, probably from vibration or moisture killing its contact), but Walmart replaced it with a new one. It's bright, but obviously not as bright as a three- or four-LED headlight. It does have a battery-life advantage though: you're only burning one or two LEDs at a time, so batteries last longer than the three- or four-LED models I've seen.

Default Red light

The Photon Fusion has one red LED that increases in intensity as you hold down the left side of the switch. It will stop and hold at that intensity when the switch is released. It also has six white LED's. The white LEDs have low, mid, high and several flashing modes it cycles through when right side of switch is held down and stays in the selected mode for switching off/on. Also has a extra bright setting when left side if pressed and released.

Run on three AA batteries.

Stay safe.

Pete Hoffman
    Old Corpus

Images

Hi All:

Try this link:

http://www.optcorp.com/ProductList.aspx?uid=105-281-285

I am new to astronomy but this site has flashlights and other equipment that is used in the field to protect your vision from the light when viewing stars.

Also understand that the mil is using amber light now so I guess it depends what you need it for.

Hope this helps.

John in KY

Rock, Petzl sells lens for the Plus while the Tactical has a flip down one already attached.

I bought the Petzl Tikka XP tonight, it's an upgrade that has a sliding lens to go from spot to flood. You can get a lens kit as well but you insert it from the inside so the colour will always be in the shorter flood mode. The lens kit gives you several colours to choose from.

You might want to concider that the XP has a rubber gasket which will help keep out the sand. The Plus has no gasket.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default try lookin' here!!

Images

Hey Rock, blue is supposed to be less visible and more like "starlight." If you are using it for non-tactical purposes. They used to have blue lights in the back of the M113 series troop compartment. Unfortunately, the maps are red lens compatible.

Reincarnating an old thread due to my current research.

I've been looking for a new headlamp with a night vision led and found this:

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=399

Looks like a winner and only 2oz.

Images

you can buy this headlamp at Walmart for around 11.00. It has 2 white and 1 red LED, batteries included. I have had mine for 2 yrs without any problems

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1724_17427939
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Rock, go with Sly and Ewkers responses. 10-15 dollars and very durable. I have two that my son and I use for hunting and hiking and for when the power goes out (which in the winter can be often)

Be careful out there.
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

What is the purpose of a "red" light?

Red light does not kill your night vision like a white light does.
    It takes about 15-20 minutes in darkness for your eyes to adjust to starlight and work at peak efficiency; turning on a white flashlight even for a moment resets the process, but red is less so.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

El Sordo
    Images

like Mowgli said, a red light will make red colors disappear. So if you are reading a map, anything written in red on the map will not show up. I think that most nautical charts now avoid the use of red lettering for that reason.

Images

The question is sort of old. When I got to my team they issued me a 2,000,000 candle power spot light with the rest of the gear for the truck turret. So light discipline is not that big of a deal this trip over here as it was in OIF 1 when we were trying to sneak around the battlefield still.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++