WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Stood less erect, and walked into the woods Flying Monkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Wait a sec there Flying Monkey, that quote you posted contridicts what you just said:
    "This does not mean that these colors are invisible to deer, but rather that they are perceived differently."

and

"Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans."

Now I know some people that are color blind, but they can still "see" a red light, they just couldn't tell you it is red.
    You're absolutely right. While I know a few things about light, I only know what exoerts tell me about deer. There was part of one of those articles that said that deer only "detect" green and Blue, and the other one said that they don't have a the third cone required to see red light (as it applies to humans, which is where the extent of my knowledge ends). I tried (and apparently failed) to say in one of my earlier posts that they still may have some relationship with red light, but that my best GUESS is that the response would be the same with a "white" light of the same receptive output. While it seems that they only can tell the difference between Blue and Green (and maybe some combinations therein), red light is still light, and I assume brightens that space without appearing red.

Don't know really. Best guess, going off how humans receive/interpret light.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. ~John Muir

But, back from Deer.....short answer (after many posts) is that Blue will be much more visible, due to the sensitivity of your cones to that wavelength, but Red will cause less ruin of nightvision because it barely affects the cones (which take over in low-light condition..hence color loss as it darkens). Red will be more comfortable, but blue will actually allow you to see further, which is the opposite in bright light conditions. Depends whether the rod or cones are in charge. Day/Night.

So..there's that.

If you have an LED lamp, you can buy a red LED cheaply, and if you have a standard lamp, you can put a color in the head of the case. An earlier post pointed out that you can get a free "swatchbook" from a gel (color sheet) manufacturer. Great Idea. You'll be able to cut up any color you want..depending on the company they'll have 50-150 colors depending on which book they send you. I prefer Gam.com for Blues, and Rosco.com for reds, but it probably won't matter.

FM
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. ~John Muir

I meant to say that rods take over in low light, not cones, but who cares anyways?

Seems I've noticed a lot less of a bug problem at night when I have the red LED on. Or am I imagining things?

i dont think you are. ive noticed the same thing. i guess they arent attracted to the red one.

That would make sense. If they do have all three cones like humans, they'd also have rods, which are least sensitive to red out of all colors at night (when the rods are fully funtioning).

Default Pak-Lite

There are a wealth of choices here. But, it is still worth mentioning this one more: Pak-Lite. At around 1.5 ounces available with a lithium battery that yeilds 80= hours of use. They have what they call the "Pilot" model with one red and one white LED. See it here: http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/5980

I know you have the Pak-Lite that came with your Torch-Lite stove. That was their introductory model, but they have much more. I think they are fantastic!

Yup, at REI they had an entire rack of headlamps. Today I went back and exchanged my e+lite since it had a faulty switch. I had to take the demo, since I bought the last packaged one yesterday, but weaseled the batteries out my trade-in.

it's an awesome little light, I predict it being a huge seller.

The two best things about using a red headlamp is that for one they do not destroy your night vision and two and most important, they don't attract bugs. Flying nasties that are attracted to white light, moths, gnats, skeeters, can't see the red light and don't bug ya when you have it on.

That in itself makes it worth it's weight in gold!!
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38° 28' 672" N
    122° 45' 283" W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dunlap View Post
    The two best things about using a red headlamp is that for one they do not destroy your night vision and two and most important, they don't attract bugs. Flying nasties that are attracted to white light, moths, gnats, skeeters, can't see the red light and don't bug ya when you have it on.

That in itself makes it worth it's weight in gold!!
    why did u dig this up???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++