WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Headlamp with red light

I remember some company made a backpacking headlamp that had a red lense or red light. Anyone know what model this was?

Thanks.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

SGT. I got an Eveready headlamp at the Home Depot with two white leds and a red led for $12.95 that works great. I only drawback is it has a sliding switch that can turn itself on if not stored properly. Runs on 3 AAA's.

I colored over the clear lense in my headlamp with a red sharpie. Now It shines red. Wears off after a while, so I just clean it off with denatured alcohol and color it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I remember some company made a backpacking headlamp that had a red lense or red light. Anyone know what model this was?

Thanks.
    Sarge:

I have one I can try and dig out and send to you. I found it on the trail in 2000 and use it rarely. It's an elastic strap headband with a place to slip in the small cigar shaped light. I don''t know what it weighs, but its pretty light. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

Just don't try and read the AT trail maps at night with the light. The trail "magically disappears with the red light. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out. Doh!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Petzl Tactikka models have a changeable red lense.
    -Mark

Thanks.
    Is this for your trip east? Maybe if you could tell us what you need it for, someone might have a suggestion. Not that you need any suggestions from any civilians or less experienced military types.

Thanks.
    Is this for your trip east? Maybe if you could tell us how it will be used, someone might have a suggestion or alternative. Not that you need any suggestions from any civilians or less experienced military types. ...Oops, somehow I missed Whistler's post....

Images

This is so I can read in a tactical enviroment if I need to and then switch to having white light sometimes. Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Petzel sells interchangeable lenses. I know they are available for the Tekka and Tekka Plus, and probably more.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    Pardon this civilian's ignorance, but what is "riding a house"? I was thinking it was a type and you meant "horse", but we don't really use horses in Iraq or do we? Oh, "raiding" a house??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    Pardon this civilian's ignorance, but what is "riding a house"? I was thinking it was a type and you meant "horse", but we don't really use horses in Iraq or do we? Oh, "raiding" a house??
    I meant Raiding a house. Sorry about that
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I meant Raiding a house. Sorry about that
    Well, if you ever decide to raid my house because of any of my blathering here, don't bother with the headlamp, I will leave the light on.

Images

I come in at about 0200. I normally just shoot your door off the hinges, but in your case I'll knock
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

What about one of those sweet little County Comm lights someone posted a few days ago? These were made for just what you described. Reading/writing at night. You can leave this little red light clipped to whatever you may need to read and then be free to use any white headlamp you choose.

http://www.countycomm.com/light.htm
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

I come in at about 0200. I normally just shoot your door off the hinges, but in your case I'll knock
    We are going to miss you Rock. Can't we send you with a satellite uplink and a hardened laptop with extra batteries to tide you over until you are near the generator?

Images

Default Red, green and blue lens

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver2005
    Petzel sells interchangeable lenses. I know they are available for the Tekka and Tekka Plus, and probably more.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME
    Rock Petzl red inserts snap into the headlamp and it takes about a second to change them. I picked mine at up at an REI. I think I paid $4.95 for a pack of three lens covers...worth it to me.

just an ideam, but maybe buying a bunch of red led's from an elxtronic store, or online, especially bright ones, and making one yourself.

as i recall the old angle head issue flashlights came with red and blue lenses. i used to steal those for use in lighter more dependable civilian-issue lights.

are you going to post your address for folks to send you goodie packages...or am i out of line asking that?

I bought my 8yr old daughter a headlamp at Wally World. It has two white and one red. We used it on a night hike in the Smokies. The ranger leading the hike had instructed that everyone only bring a red light...white lights not allowed. We had a great time. At one point, everyone in the group was instructed to turn off their headlamps and wade barefoot across a creek...good time for the kids!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    as i recall the old angle head issue flashlights came with red and blue lenses. i used to steal those for use in lighter more dependable civilian-issue lights.

are you going to post your address for folks to send you goodie packages...or am i out of line asking that?
    Little Bear has said he is going to send me the one he found.

As to packages, I plan to give that out as soon as I know myself. Last trip over the WhiteBlazers were great, they started mailing some things before I even left, so once in country, I was the first one in my unit to have packages. Of course I shared them with everyone in my troop.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++