WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tipi Walter - "And merino layers are heavy. Take forever to dry when clammy and/or wet."

When you said this I thought of this thread here on WB about 2 yrs ago and on BPL. The merino layers aren't all that much heavier and don't take forever to dry comparably. I think you have to consider what was said on that WB thread and what BPL researched. FWIW, I don't see a 1/3 to 50% dry times to be the end all be all when making these comparisons. When I'm carrying two tees possibly a synthetic or a wool/synthetic blend AND a 100% merino dry times play less of a critical role in many of my hiking/weather situations. And, again it appears we're falling into mistakenly seeing things in apparel as a duality...either synthetic or wool...and that is not the case. For example there are blends and new treatments of both merino and synthetics.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...p/t-98385.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.VlPbhPmrSUl

One thing to note... the BPL article is for the next to skin layer weights. I'm still a general fan of Merino 1 type weights, though even that is a 70/30 ish blend depending on what season/year you buy them.

Though to back up both observations;
    In a 150-200g wt, the drytime is fairly negligible- but there. And not all synthetics are equal when wet, while most wools are.
    In most of the heavier weight pieces Tipi is talking about... the dry times and wet weights (as well as stretch in wool) is much more obvious.

Flip a coin on the next to skin layers, but I agree with Tipi, as you build past the first layer I've found the Capilene to do better overall.
    Toss in the cost and durability advantages (and seasonal sales) and wool has migrated over the last few years from my closet.

Did you ever use that Cocona Fiber shirts we were once discussing?
    Despite my preference, the sustainability argument does favor these types of fibers... just haven't had time to add that debate to my plate personally.

Forgive my off topic post but I find tons of Merino, Cashmere and Silk tops at the thrift store for next to nothing. Found a beautiful long sleeve 100 % silk last week for 3 bucks. Buying this way cost and durabulity are taken out of the equation. I love the feel of Merino or Silk in my sleeping bag on a cool night. I carry two short sleeves one synthetic and one Merino. I often take my shirt off along the trail and rinse it out in a stream to wash off the sticky salt and keep the odor down. I like the feel of the synthetic fabric when it's hot and I'm sweating like a pig but prefer the natural fibers when it's cold.

Good pts to consider JB.

"Did you ever use that Cocona Fiber shirts we were once discussing?
    Despite my preference, the sustainability argument does favor these types of fibers... just haven't had time to add that debate to my plate personally."

Yes, I have looked at the 37.5 TM/Cocona fiber) light wt very breathable running shirts from New Balance and ASICS. I have two. I've very pleased with them overall as far as dry times, breathing, evaporative cooling, price, and OK compressability. I get a little pilling in my two shirts. Yes, I have considered the sustainability but which I see as also a marketing direction. The thicker insulation Cocona I'm not nearly as impressed with on a side to side comparison against the top synthetic insulations which I too see, for my uses, as Primaloft. But, I have made no purchases of or comparisons with the thicker Cocona fiber insulation jackets or, I think possibly now, hardshells.

Journal Entries

I value the low moisture absorption of synthetics. And silverfish eat holes in merino clothing. Not to mention mice like it too. Lost a couple merino tops to silverfish. As well as $$$ wool pant and blazer.

Again, I will not get into seeing this as only a duality of choice. It's not a one is good;the other is bad situation. Different apparel for different uses and different systems.

+1 especially when you have 3 drawers full of both kinds.

Wool retains a fair bit of warmth when wet.

In my opinion this is the best of both worlds. It's a merino/capilene blend which retains the best qualities of both materials. I love them.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/merino-wool-baselayers

Synthetics get stinky and feel assed out after a few days, too funky for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++