WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default UL Cameras On Trail.

On the AT, a hiker is never more than 5 days from a place to plug in to recharge (maybe the HMW). That said, my iPhone 6 Plus an Anker Astro lipstick size external 3000 mAh battery at 2.5 oz. is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PottedPlant View Post
    While certainly among the equipment that many people will insist we leave at home, I would not dream of hitting the trail without a camera that would give me photos of a quality I'd be proud to hang on my own wall. Towards these ends, I'd love suggestions from those of you who do bring cameras, beyond an Iphone, and what you use? Low weight and quality of the picture are far and above my biggest concerns, though if somehow there's an option for less than several thousand, that's my hope I've looked into go-pro's for their fantastic size/weight and reasonable price, but I'm open to options that give me better photo quality.

Thanks for the suggestions UL hiking camera goers!
    Iphones take a pretty good picture. The main downside is no optical zoom.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Iphones take a pretty good picture. The main downside is no optical zoom.
    Main downside is battery life if you leave it on, and boot up time if you dont.

Dedicated cameras are ready to shoot almost as fast as you can push the ON button.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Main downside is battery life if you leave it on, and boot up time if you dont.

Dedicated cameras are ready to shoot almost as fast as you can push the ON button.
    A real shutterbug doesnt mind carrying 5-10 lbs of camera weight. Its one of the main reasons they go out.

Im not a shutterbug at all. My 4.5 oz Point and shoot does fine for me. Mostly. It is very lacking sometimes.

I have no problem carrying a good amount of equipment if I'm going to a specific place to shoot, and then leave. Not too keen on carrying all that equipment for miles and miles.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I consider myself a real shutterbug - as I sell what I shoot as stock. No way am I carrying 10 lbs of camera gear on an 18 mile weekend trip. Right now I'm just over 2 lbs for a camera and flash. That is fine for me. 28 mm fixed lens on my Coolpix A works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugged cell phones are getting more and more popular.

Images

What about auto focus? I have used an older Pentax digital but have missed some wildlife shots because the camera chose to focus on a tree. That wasn't a problem with my Olympus OM1 (35mm).

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    What about auto focus? I have used an older Pentax digital but have missed some wildlife shots because the camera chose to focus on a tree. That wasn't a problem with my Olympus OM1 (35mm).
    The GoPro is great for this, except for really close up shots. There are aftermarket lenses that resolve this, but then that is more weight to the kit.

Images

after much research and many reccomendations i bought a Sony RX100. Loving it so far for day hikes. Haven't had a chance to overnight with it yet but for the weight the quality is amazing and i got it $100 off on sale for the holidays. Still use my phone for some shots, and my goPro for video clips. You can view some of the photos at my blog below if you wanna.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

What about bluetooth capabilities, I need one to connect to laptop to download to my blog. Any suggestions?