Default Miami area FT sections?

I travel to Miami frequently for work and wondering if there are any sections of the FT worth hiking this winter? I usually hike with my dog so walking through alligator infested water not an option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the FT, probably not a lot that far south would be dog friendly until you get to Lake Okeechobee and/or the Ocean to Lake Trail. There are a lot of other hikes though. Check out the Floridahikes.com website

I live in Miami Beach. Though not part of the FT, the Atlantic Greenway runs right along Miami Beach. I do my exercise walk there, and there are sections that are dog friendly. I wouldn't exactly call it hiking material, but if you and your dog would like to walk along where you can have a great ocean view, and without the risk of alligators, this is a place that you can check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    For the FT, probably not a lot that far south would be dog friendly until you get to Lake Okeechobee and/or the Ocean to Lake Trail. There are a lot of other hikes though. Check out the Floridahikes.com website
    What sections near lake O are worth hiking???? I've been wanting to paddle the Everglades www on my sup.....sounds like hiking in s fl better done on the water...

I hope to hike the section along the Kissimmee River, just north of Lake Okeechobee, sometime in November. I would love having someone to shuttle with rather than self-shuttle by bicycle. I don't know how dog friendly this section is though. I'm not saying it is or isn't; I simply don't know. If this interests you, we can iron out specific dates. I have to wait on a few work things to have a better idea of when I can schedule it.

Images
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I usually hike with my dog so walking through alligator infested water not an option...
    Big Cypress Preserves requires dogs be on a 6 foot leash.

Surely, that's short enough to pull them back out of the gators jaws.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Haa....I've paddled enough in fl to know where not to take my gator snack!!! 19lb jrt would be a treat....I thru paddled st.johns on my sup....312+ miles over 1,000 gators....u do the math....almost as many gators as blue hairs here in fl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Big Cypress Preserves requires dogs be on a 6 foot leash.

Surely, that's short enough to pull them back out of the gators jaws.

I don't mean to make to much humor out of gators and dogs.

A few years back my brother lost one his most loved hunting dogs to a alligator...after that his opinion was the only good gator was a dead gator.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++