WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

:banana German Shepard attack dog. Tsunami, my best friend.

I will be bringing my German Shepard with me for my NOBO in 2016. i suggest you bring a gun, shoot first and ask questions later. I am in no way in control of this vicious beast.

He will be off leash and terrorizing neighboring camps.

Your best course of action if you do not bring a gun would be to play dead, i urge you no matter what you do don't run.

I will be pushing Tsunami well beyond his limits, he will be on his own to hunt whatever sustenance he is able. i would hang your food bags quick upon arrival to any shelter/camp. Actually, you should probably just leave that food out or else he might turn on you.

Ive been supplementing his diet with children around my hometown to get him used to digesting human.

OH! Climbing a tree would be a good idea if you encounter Tsunami. Just wait for my arrival and i will get him calmed downish.

Happy season everyone! I hope to see you out there, Trust me you are going to want to see me before he sees you.

j/k

But for real though, me and my beautiful black lab Lolah Faye will be traveling north in march. On leash and just being the majestic creature she is. We both look forward to meeting everyone.IMG_1027.jpg

pretty dog

Images

It's funny, except I've met Tsunami on the trail more than once.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yeah bigcranky, the general feel i get from whiteblaze is that dogs are frowned upon in most cases. a lotta leave your dog home comments and the like. Disappointing some owners have ruined it for the rest of us..

Not that someone elses feelings would stop me from doing anything.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    Yeah bigcranky, the general feel i get from whiteblaze is that dogs are frowned upon in most cases. a lotta leave your dog home comments and the like. Disappointing some owners have ruined it for the rest of us..

There seem to be a lot of dog haters on the internet, but there are far fewer of them actually out on the trail. I also hike with a friendly, well cared for leashed dog and most people either don't mind or enjoy meeting us. Often times long distance hikers linger with us so that they can hang out with the dogs, usually telling us about their dogs back home and how much they miss them. Don't be surprised if your lab becomes a favorite among some of the other hikers.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Sounds like a big pussycat to me! Years ago I had my ferocious black lab with me. Whenever we stayed in a shelter there was zero mouse activity, and I figured the mice had gotten advance word. Hope it works for you.

Good to hear Elf! I just recently hiked the Colorado Trail and kicked myself the whole time for not bringing Lolah. I will not make the same mistake.

Journal Entries

While theres a few that just dont like dogs, theres a whole lot more that dont like irresponsible owners that allow a poorly trained dog to impact others. Just like at home around town, a well trained dog is a joy, a poorly trained one is just a nusiance. Just like children btw.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-20-2015 at 21:56.

[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013202
    Not that someone elses feelings would stop me from doing anything.[/QUOTE]

This is one of several reasons I'm unlikely to ever do the southern AT again during the prime, spring season. Oh Well, there are other places to explore...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't have a problem with a well behaved dog. And I think most hikers agree. If people wouldn't bring a dog like tsunami and then think I should be okay with knocked over food and a peed on sleeping bag there would be no problem.
    I hope I get to meet your friend on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I don't have a problem with a well behaved dog. And I think most hikers agree. If people wouldn't bring a dog like tsunami and then think I should be okay with knocked over food and a peed on sleeping bag there would be no problem.
    I hope I get to meet your friend on the trail.
    There are only bad owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This is one of several reasons I'm unlikely to ever do the southern AT again during the prime, spring season. Oh Well, there are other places to explore...
    Enjoy there are many great places! I would definitely suggest the Colorado Trail.

The more good owners out there that there are, the better it will be. I consider my little buddy to be an ambassador of good will on the trail.

052.jpg
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 10-20-2015 at 23:25.

He will be off leash and terrorizing
    I'll be fine. I'm sure you'll keep assuring me "he doesn't bite" and "he's really a very friendly dog" as he slinks around me trying to get at my hamstrings from behind. My trail experience is greatly enhanced by incidents like this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I'll be fine. I'm sure you'll keep assuring me "he doesn't bite" and "he's really a very friendly dog" as he slinks around me trying to get at my hamstrings from behind. My trail experience is greatly enhanced by incidents like this.
    Followed by, "He's never done anything like that before!"
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Take good care of her, Dogs are the best.

Good luck. I enjoy hiking with my dog but he is past his prime now so he is limited to quick overnights. Also want to point out that I have met many "non attack" German Shepherds and owned a lab that bit many people. Don't let the breed (in general not just labs- I love labs) full you. I'm only giving you flack (in what I hope is a friendly way) because I own a Pit Bull and a board member of a local Pit Bill rescue so I have seen stereotypes all too often.

* fool for the grammar folks.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Good luck. I enjoy hiking with my dog but he is past his prime now so he is limited to quick overnights. Also want to point out that I have met many "non attack" German Shepherds and owned a lab that bit many people. Don't let the breed (in general not just labs- I love labs) full you. I'm only giving you flack (in what I hope is a friendly way) because I own a Pit Bull and a board member of a local Pit Bill rescue so I have seen stereotypes all too often.
    Pitbulls are dangerous, the trick to staying safe is knowing how to identify them:

image.jpgs

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Never met a black lab I didn't like. As far as German Shephards- Love them all. I too can appreciate taking a dog on the AT. I just don't want the responsibility of making sure my dog behaves & does not get injured or sick. I'll have a hard enough time just looking out for myself!!!
    Hope to see you & Lolah on the trail.

Images

There is a really good Facebook forum "Hiking with Dogs". Beautiful dogs hiking with their peeps all over the world have really enjoyed following it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++